2,4-D makes lawn yellow

I applied 2,4-D (55 w/w%, 50 cc/gal) and sprayed on my lawn. My intension was to kill broad leaves weeds such as wood sorrel. To my surprise, my lawn also turned yellow. I searched and searched the Inernet and all the references I have found all says 2,4-D only kill broad leaves. So, why is my lawn turnning yellow?

Reply to
Johm Smith

The name of the chemical on the label is 2,4-D dimethylamine salt. The temperature here is about 34/24 (day/night) degree C. So, that should not be a problem. I also spot-treated the weeds. It's the grass surrounding the weeds that turned yellow. Some other weeds did not respond to the chemical. Thus, it is not glyphosate, which is a systemic killer.

Reply to
Johm Smith

Johm Smith wrote: ...

glyphosate affects actively growing plants the best so at a time of the year when a plant is going dormant or not getting much light it won't have nearly the same effect.

i don't mess with poisons if i can help it. the world is already being poisoned enough.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Possible. I notice that at the recommended concentration, wood sorrel started to show sign of damage after 24 hours. I think that should happen in 5 to 7 days after spraying of the herbicide. Next time I'll dilute it to 20% of the recommended concentration and see if the grass will survive.

Another thing that puzzles me is that according to the person at the nursery where I bought the herbicide, the grass on my lawn is not really "grass" but thatch. He said grass has nodes and can propagates via the nodes while thatch has no nodes. 2,4-D will kill thatch and broad-leaf weeds but not grass. Frankly, I have never heard of such a thing. I have always thought thatch is dead grass clipping, not a plant. He said so in several different occassions. So, I think I didn't misunderstand him. Maybe he was saying something that sounds like thatch. I never ask him how to spell the word "thatch" he was talking about.

Reply to
Johm Smith

Me too. I don't like glyphosate because it kills all vegetations it contacts.

Reply to
Johm Smith