Weed killer to prevent new seedlings in block paving?

What type of weed killer would prevent new weeds germinating in block paving?

Although some recommend it, gylphosate isn't persistent enough and it doesn't kill seedlings until they have sprouted leaves.

Reply to
Pamela

Try uk.rec.gardening. They are very good.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

oh dear. ignorant as usual

Go into a store that stocks garden chemicals and read labels - you can read labels? - and find one that says 'for clearing paths'

If that is too hard, give up and concrete your drive

Yes dear, we know that, dear

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A "pre-emergent" weed killer.

Reply to
Reentrant

you mean a seed killer...... :-)

Reply to
SH

Many effective weed killers have been banned, including those I would use to prevent germination.

If you read my original point below, it says that approach doesn't work. Stores and web sites often suggest glyphosate which I explained is not persistent.

Reply to
Pamela

The good old PathClear used simazine, long since banned. the new PathClear is a mix of glyphosate and diflufenican, german wiki says

"Diflufenican is used as an active ingredient in herbicides. It is mainly absorbed through the soil, which leads to the death of the weed plants. Diflufenican remains effective for several weeks if there is sufficient soil moisture. It works primarily by inhibiting carotene biosynthesis and secondarily by increasing the breakdown of chlorophyll. The compound is stable in solution and against the effects of light and temperature. It is preferably used in autumn as a herbicide for winter cereals, especially pre-emergence and early post-emergence"

Reply to
Andy Burns

I use Acetic acid.

Reply to
jon

I was looking at the instructions for a 'PathClear' type product recently (I can't remember which). The issue is that it would be OK on gravel where is can soak through, but on concrete/tarmac/block paving there's no soil so it'll just wash away and contaminate somewhere else. It's just the cracks where it's likely to get through, and 99% of it will be wasted - or washed onto plants that you want to keep.

Often much of the block paving doesn't have many weeds, but you want to prevent germination in the soil collected between the pavers.

I was wondering about the flamethrower things for zapping the extant weeds, but I gather that's a futile battle...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

No your point doesnt say that at all

Not for clearing paths they don't.

There is always another ingredient in path clearing compounds

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In block paving where you cant reach the roots , you might as well zap them with glyphosate

could boil up bleach to make sodium chlorate...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tip a load of used engine oil over it. Should do the job well.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Oh dear. You don't sound as if you know what you're doing. Should have it laid by professionals.

ROFLMAO.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Glyphosate perists for only days and then new germination could take place. I've already explained this to you.

Reply to
Pamela

God you are so THICK

If you cannot reach the roots you cannot prevent germination can you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Forgive her...Pamela isn't a gardener but can't stop trolling.

Reply to
Spike

I was thnking of that. :)

Is it legal to do that in the UK? I know that sales are banned to normal end users, presumably because it can be used for making explosives.

Sodium chlorate (and the chloride that you get with it) are both rather soluble in rain water for use as a weedkiller. The OP could end up with weedy block paving and bare flowerbeds.

Reply to
GB

sales are banned. You cant ban a chemical you can make

Well that is so with anything.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Resisting the temptation to google that, even though I have a path that would benefit from some.

:-)

Reply to
newshound

I used some once and nothing grew for two years, and even then it took a couple more before things were right again.

But do make sure you *thoroughly* rinse out the watering can. BTDTGTTS.

Reply to
Clive Arthur