Weed Killer

Had a chap working in my garden last couple of days, he also replaced my fence panels.

He has put some weed killer down that he says comes from Germany and cost £220 for 2 litres. Does that sound feasible? He said there is nothing available in the UK that is as good.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com writes

Where did he use it? 2L of agricultural broad spectrum weed control for established grass would cover about 1Ha and could cost £150.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There are certainly some very expensive professional-only weedkillers around, e.g.

Did he say whether it was just to kill existing weeds, in which case were they something that glyphosate doesn't kill? Or is it a long term preventative treatment?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which one did he use? There are a large number of herbicides available in Germany. If you look at

, and click on the drop-down arrow for the third from end category (Wirkungsbereich), and click on "Herbizid", it will show you the first of 26 pages of them!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Well, you only have his word for now, is he using this excuse to add to your bill? If yes then I'd not deal with him again. There are obviously some substances that kill everything, and lets hope your neighbours prize roses were not on the other side. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Perhaps its left over Agent Orange bought from the USA. Having said that. BASF make herbicide as far as I know. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Many thanks for all the replies :-)

I do wonder if Brian Gaff is right but if the area is still weed free in six months perhaps it will have been worth it!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com writes

Sodium Chlorate might do it but illegal to use in this country. Cheap enough when you could use it.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

For anyone who uses flazasulfuron based long-term weed killer, it seems that next month will be the end-of-sale, with 12 months to use it up ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

We use both Roundup Pro and Premazor Turbo. The Round up kills the growing weed the Premazor stays on surface and stops regrowth. The Premazor is quite expensive and you may be asked for a herd number if you order it

The two can be mixed to kill existing weed and following

This Youtube video give details

fred

Premazor contains glyphosate and diflufenican. It is possible to buy a concentrate or ready-made spray in garden centres, etc, as Job Done Path/Tough Weedkiller or Weedol Pathclear/PS Pathclear Weedkiller. I've used glyphosate with pyraflufen (Weedol Ultra Tough - not a residual weedkiller like Pathclear) to kill Muehlenbeckia complexa.

Reply to
Jeff Layman