Weed killer?

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.
TIA

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 10:05:07 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

Depends on what weeds and if it's turf or beds, etc. For broadleaf weeds in turf, weed b gone works for me.

Turf I guess. Level non-grassy areas.

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 1:43:00 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

Turf is grass. If you want to kill everything, then Glyphosate, the roundup chemical is effective. I buy 2.5 gal of 48% concentrate for $60 online, makes a couple hundred gallons.

Try your local Tractor Supply Company store, if you have one. Ask the people there which would be best for your particular application. I am using one that has the same ingredient as RoundUp, but in a slightly higher concentration than the name brand, and much less expensive. Takes four days to over a week to kill, depending on the "weed." The slowest for me are the baby oaks.
-dan z-
--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

How long did you wait for the product to work? It should take at least a week before you see results. Are you attempting to kill weeds in your lawn or are you dealing with weeds in a non-grassy area?
If you are trying to kill weeds and not preserve grass, try Round-up (glyphosphate), this is a systemic product and must be sprayed on the leaves of the weeds, additionally, it doesn't work too well on weeds over 12" tall. Be aware, Round-up will kill grass.

Several weeks.

Non-grassy,

If it is non grassy and you are not trying to preserve anything in the area with the weeds, then get some glyphosphate (Round-up).

Good to know and you are absolutely correct, "Drumpf" (Trump) won because I misspelled glyphosate and because he properly spelled "covfefe".....
A very insightful contribution....... ;-)

What are you trying to kill and where? The weeds on my stone driveway turned up their toes within hours after application of a mix of 1 liter white vinegar, 1/2 cup epson salt, and a few tsp of dawn dishwashing liquid. A lot cheaper than using cider vinegar and epsom salts - and just as effective (I tried both)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

Don't know name of the weeds. Non-grassy area.

Sounds like worth a try. I don't think I have any epson salts, have to get some.

Later thoughts:
Have any idea where in Walmart I'd find epson salts? Health stuff? Cleaning? Somewhere else? I've not seen them when looking for other stuff.
Another question. How do you put this on the weeds? Put in an old spray bottle? Other method?
TIA

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 12:19:49 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

Yes, pharmacy section.

That depends on what size area. For the very smallest of spaces, an old spray bottle works, but remember to re-label it. For larger areas, one of the 2 gallon pump sprayers works, that is the smallest reasonable solution IMO, ~$20 For bigger areas, a 3 gal pump backpack sprayer with a wide tip nozzle is the way to go. ~$75
On 7/4/2017 10:05 AM, KenK wrote:

I bought something online for a weed that I have for recommended pre-emergent treatment needed is not available in any store around me:
https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/
Free shipping and cheaper than Amazon that wanted me to pay shipping.
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

I use Roundup and it kills anything I spray it on. I bought a quart bottle of it last week at Walmart for $18.76 (I think it 76¢, I do know it was under $19.00). A $5 off coupon was used, too. Anyway, This is the stuff you mix yourself and put in a garden sprayer. I do add about a tablespoon more than the recommended amount and I see no grass or weeds until the next Spring.
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:04:08 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

e,

If it's supresssing everything for months, then it's not Glyphosate, which is what is most commonly referred to as roundup. Monsanto has other product s under the roundup name, so you have to make sure what your buying is what you want.

I use this, bought from Amazon. Use it in driveway/sidewalk cracks and a brick walkway. Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer, 41-Percent Glyphosate, 32-Ounce Though it kills everything, they get reseeded every year. Weeds do that. Have to use it once a year.
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:27:54 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

I use the Roundup once a year, too.
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 11:14:02 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

You can't just say Roundup and not specify what it actually is. There are very different types of Roundup product. As pointed out, when people just say Roundup, they almost always mean the glyphosate product, which Monsanto is most famous for. That you can spray, kill weeds, and re-seed in just a few days, which is what you want when you're re-seeding a lawn from scratch or hitting some weeds in an area you're going to plant flower seeds. Then they have other products, totally different chemical, which will prevent anything from germinating or growing for months. If you used that "Roundup" on a lawn renovation, or where you are planting flowers, it would be a disaster. you'd have no lawn, no flowers for a year and waste a lot of money.