Does someone make this?

I need a clay-like material that you can form by hand into a shape, leave it sit for a while - preferably a few hours or a day or less, and it hardens very firmly. I'm talking about a few ounces or a pound, not something very large.

Something preferably available locally, probably at a hardware store, Walmart, Target, or suchlike?

If so, what is it called?

Thanks very much.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

|I need a clay-like material that you can form by hand into a shape, leave | it sit for a while - preferably a few hours or a day or less,

There are products like that for plumbing repair. It comes in a tube, you work it like putty, and it hardens. I can't tell you how good it is. I bought some awhile back in a desperate situation but ended up not needing it. Then, of course, there's Play-Doh. :)

Reply to
Mayayana

AB Epoxy (a brand name). It is a paste in 2 separate blocks and when you mix them together they will get as hard as chinese algebra. This stuff even works underwater. Pool folks use it to fix leaks.

Reply to
gfretwell

SculpWood fits the bill. It comes in two parts, you get one pint of each. Both are like modeling clay, one is brown, one white. You mix as much as you need half and half, work it until it's uniform in color and then shape it into what you want. It's very light, but strong and sandable. I used it to repair part of a door sill, particularly the vertical part where it meets the sill. I had to shape it to match. But I don't think it's available at HD, etc, I think I ordered it online from Jet maybe.

Reply to
trader_4

Playdough

Meanie

This stuff can be carved - so I assume that shaping is OK ? No personal experience doing that.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Sculpy

Reply to
mike

Look up, "Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty". You'll be impressed (I think).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I don't think this one has a modeling clay like consistency for long enough to suit the OP.

Same with AB epoxy and some of the others .

I think they can all be molded within 5 or 10 minutes, but during even that time, they are too soft to suit him, and then they harden too much to mold within a couple minutes, and they are too hard.

If the playdough thing doesn't work, check a hobby or crafts store or art supply.

Reply to
Micky

You have a serious hangup about your refrigerator. Have you spoken to a shrink about this obcession?

Reply to
Paintedcow

Depending upon how hard "very firmly" is, Argo starch at your local supermarket.

If that isn't firm enough, plaster of paris, cheapest if you buy drywall SETTING compound.

Reply to
dadiOH

Sucker product.

Reply to
dadiOH

Why do you say that?

Reply to
Bill

Because it is plaster with a bit of colorant. Sheetrock setting compund will do the same and is a whole bunch cheaper.

Reply to
dadiOH

Drywall mud is best used in thin coats. If you just make a ball of it, you will have cracks all over because of the way it sets.

Reply to
gfretwell

KenK wrote in news:XnsA657915944068invalidcom@130.133.4.11:

Google "polymer clay" -- the most widely known brand is Sculpey (sculpey.com). Form it into anything you want, then bake it in the oven for a while.

I'm not sure if it's available at Walmart or Target, but you can certainly get it at craft stores such as Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Good old Water Putty - and it's durt cheap

Bob(but not THAT Bob)