Weed killer?

KenK wrote in news:XnsA7A86DC8B5971invalidcom@

130.133.4.11:

Later thoughts:

Have any idea where in Walmart I'd find epson salts? Health stuff? Cleaning? Somewhere else? I've not seen them when looking for other stuff.

Another question. How do you put this on the weeds? Put in an old spray bottle? Other method?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Yes, pharmacy section.

That depends on what size area. For the very smallest of spaces, an old spray bottle works, but remember to re-label it. For larger areas, one of the 2 gallon pump sprayers works, that is the smallest reasonable solution IMO, ~$20 For bigger areas, a 3 gal pump backpack sprayer with a wide tip nozzle is the way to go. ~$75

Reply to
trader_4

You can't just say Roundup and not specify what it actually is. There are very different types of Roundup product. As pointed out, when people just say Roundup, they almost always mean the glyphosate product, which Monsanto is most famous for. That you can spray, kill weeds, and re-seed in just a few days, which is what you want when you're re-seeding a lawn from scratch or hitting some weeds in an area you're going to plant flower seeds. Then they have other products, totally different chemical, which will prevent anything from germinating or growing for months. If you used that "Roundup" on a lawn renovation, or where you are planting flowers, it would be a disaster. you'd have no lawn, no flowers for a year and waste a lot of money.

Reply to
trader_4

It's Roundup, sold at Walmart, sold at Home Depot, sold at Lowe's. Plain old Roundup, nothing special on the bottle. You'll have to contact Monsanto if you have issues with what Walmart is stocking.

I'm using on weeds. It's plain old Roundup. Go to Walmart and check out the standard packaging.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

and a brick walkway.

sate, 32-Ounce

If it's plain old roundup, then that doesn't jive with your claim that you don't see weeds again until next spring. The most popular roundup product u ses Glyphosate, it only kills what's growing actively at the time it's spra yed on. One of its benefits, again, is that you can seed a few days later and the seeds will grow fine.

And instead of me going to Walmart to see which roundup products they stock at one store, I suggest you go visit the Monsanto roundup site. You'll see that they sell everything from ready to use Glyphosate type roundup, to ro undup concentrate, to products that will kill everything and prevent germin ation for months, to products that just kill broadleaf weeds in turf. I b elieve we've been through this before and you still don't get that there is n't just one "plain" roundup and using the wrong one, for the wrong thing c an be a disaster. And again, the Glyphosate roundup, which is what would b e plain roundup, is not consistent with your claim of no more weeds until s pring. It simply doesn't work that way to suppress new weed growth. It kil ls the weeds you spray, but new ones germinate and show up within a few wee ks.

Reply to
trader_4

u don't see weeds again until next spring. The most popular roundup product uses Glyphosate, it only kills what's growing actively at the time it's sp rayed on. One of its benefits, again, is that you can seed a few days late r and the seeds will grow fine.

I don't care if it jives with what you believe or not. It's Roundup and I don't see weeds until the next Spring.

ck at one store, I suggest you go visit the Monsanto roundup site. You'll s ee that they sell everything from ready to use Glyphosate type roundup, to roundup concentrate, to products that will kill everything and prevent germ ination for months, to products that just kill broadleaf weeds in turf. I believe we've been through this before and you still don't get that there isn't just one "plain" roundup and using the wrong one, for the wrong thing can be a disaster. And again, the Glyphosate roundup, which is what would be plain roundup, is not consistent with your claim of no more weeds until spring. It simply doesn't work that way to suppress new weed growth. It k ills the weeds you spray, but new ones germinate and show up within a few w eeks.

I don't care what Monsanto makes, what I buy kills weeds for a year. I don't have to visit any site to know this.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

The 41-Percent Glyphosate I use just needs a once per year application in my case. I'll tell you for sure in the fall. But I sprayed over a month ago and there's no sign of new growth. Could be some other factors come into play.

Reply to
Vic Smith

It takes water to germinate. Is the area getting water?

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

you don't see weeds again until next spring. The most popular roundup produ ct uses Glyphosate, it only kills what's growing actively at the time it's sprayed on. One of its benefits, again, is that you can seed a few days la ter and the seeds will grow fine.

And you also don't care if you give out misinformation that causes harm to others. It's not what I "believe", it's what Monsanto states about how the glyphosate product works and how it's used. You'd know that if you'd go look at the product website. Farmers spray thousands of acres and plant seed within a week. It doesn't supress weeds, it only kills the actively growing ones that it contacts. Your silly stance here is like there being discussion about which Loctite product to use for some application, and you saying, I don't care, the Loctite I buy at the local store worked to glue my cracked phone. Loctite, like Roundup, encompasses many different products, from thead locker to silicon sealant and super glue. And you're too lazy to go read the label on the Roundup and see what you actually have.

It's Roundup

Sigh....

tock at one store, I suggest you go visit the Monsanto roundup site. You'll see that they sell everything from ready to use Glyphosate type roundup, t o roundup concentrate, to products that will kill everything and prevent ge rmination for months, to products that just kill broadleaf weeds in turf. I believe we've been through this before and you still don't get that ther e isn't just one "plain" roundup and using the wrong one, for the wrong thi ng can be a disaster. And again, the Glyphosate roundup, which is what wou ld be plain roundup, is not consistent with your claim of no more weeds unt il spring. It simply doesn't work that way to suppress new weed growth. It kills the weeds you spray, but new ones germinate and show up within a few weeks.

Fine, remain ignorant then.

Reply to
trader_4

I planted a genetically modified RoundUp Ready lawn so now I can just pour the glyphosate concentrate down my well shaft and then water my lawn. They say glyphosate is totally safe.

Reply to
Herb Bisside

s and a brick walkway.

osate, 32-Ounce

[...]

in my case. I'll

e's no sign of new

He said a month, so sure, I could see no new weeds for a month, but not until next Spring. Roundup doesn't work that way, Monsanto says so and decades of experience confirm it. You also don't typically have big weeds, it may not be worth reapplying in a month, but any weeds seeds that are there, will germinate just as if it had never been sprayed.

Reply to
trader_4

[...]

Where can I get that seed, I want it?

Reply to
trader_4

Sure. I sprayed the concrete driveway cracks and a paver walkway. Careful as I was, about 3 inches of grass along the low side of the walkway also died. It also shows no sign of reviving. The weeds were as long as 6 inches. The driveway needs replacing, but I'm in no hurry to spend $4500, which is the low estimate of the 3 I got.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Herb Bisside

ks and a brick walkway.

hosate, 32-Ounce

[...]

re's no sign of new

ful as I was,

The driveway needs

of the 3 I got.

Also, you're dealing with cracks, where it will be somewhat harder for weeds to get started than in an open area, so a month doesn't surprise me. I have to spray cracks less frequently than open areas.

Reply to
trader_4

Don't forget, with cracks and other relatively unexposed areas, if the dead weeds are left in place, they can act a kind of mulch barrier which will prevent other weed seeds from settling in and germinating.

I buy the 2.5 gallon glyphosate concentrate, mix it up in my power sprayer tank and use about 150 mixed gallons per year. Because almost everything grows year round here, I spray 3 - 4 times per year. I wear a respirator, goggles, latex gloves and tyvek coveralls when I spray. There is enough reason to not trust the chemical and the precautions are logical.

Once I kill the weeds, I will not get new ones until after it rains, which is relatively infrequent here. Most of my irrigation is drip, so I don't blast a lot of water all over the place. I also spread A LOT of mulch in areas where I don't want anything to grow. Fortunately, the mulch is free, call any tree service and invite them to dump their chippings on your property. I also enslave the grandchildren to help spread it when needed.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

racks and a brick walkway.

lyphosate, 32-Ounce

[...]

ion in my case. I'll

there's no sign of new

areful as I was,

. The driveway needs

te of the 3 I got.

You should be using that miracle Roundup that Joane buys at Walmart. She claims:

"It's Roundup, sold at Walmart, sold at Home Depot, sold at Lowe's. Plain old Roundup, nothing special on the bottle. You'll have to contact Monsanto if you have issues with what Walmart is stocking. "

Despite my attempts to explain to her that Monsanto markets many different products under the Roundup brand for very different uses, she says she doesn't know and doesn't care. Which is fine, except that she's claiming that plain old Roundup, which to you and I and any pro would mean the glyphosate product, results in no weeds again until spring.

Reply to
trader_4

I read those posts and I realized that I had no idea what the conditions are where she is using it nor do I know her environment. I will say, there are weedy areas that I will spray and not see weeds there again until after the winter rains.

For all I know she is only spraying weeds in the cracks of her concrete driveway and it is quite possible she doesn't get weeds again for many months.

I think there are a lot of variables which can effect one's results.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

In places the cracks are 3-4 inches wide. I just went to the store and took a close look on the way to the car. There are a few places that show green if you look close. But most of the cracks are full of dead weed material and some dead pine needles. It could need another application, but I don't remember doing it twice in a year. Maybe by the time they get big enough to bother, they stop growing due to the season. I just don't remember clearly.

Reply to
Vic Smith

k cracks and a brick walkway.

t Glyphosate, 32-Ounce

Weeds do that.

[...]

cation in my case. I'll

nd there's no sign of new

Careful as I was,

hes. The driveway needs

imate of the 3 I got.

That isn't the big problem. She says I should go to Walmart and figure out which roundup product she bought. To her roundup is just roundup and that' s all there is to it. There are 3 very different products, plus choices of concentration. There will be plenty of people with dead lawns now that th ere is a roundup broadleaf herbicide for turf and some people think roundup is roundup.

Reply to
trader_4