iPod photo and Windows XP (OT for uk.diy)

It works satisfactorily on XP without SP2. ( well, mine does!)

SP2 is necessary for an XP USB2.0 interface - thus when you plug in the device it will warn that a high speed device is using a low speed USB port and then it will chug along just fine but at a much reduced connection speed. If you have a firewire connection, you will have no problems at all as the connection speed is similar to USB 2.0

HTH, Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Berry

Sorry, I should have read your post more carefully - the internet connection is for looking up track names when you rip CDs and for buying music online so it is possible to do without.

I sympathise with you about being forced to upgrade opersting systems; I had to install XP over my trusty 98 to take advantage of a free broadband package - the modem would install perfectly but the ISP installation CD wouldn't allow it...

Reply to
Adrian Berry

Hi all, I'm posting this to ie.comp and also uk.diy since folks there are a fountain of knowledge on all sorts of issues, cut the x-post if you want to.

My husband has just kindly given me an iPod photo for my birthday - yipee! Problem is, we don't have a computer which will work with it. It needs XP with SP2. Our XP computer isn't, and I don't want it to be, connected to the internet. Even if I bring it all downstairs and connect it all up it wouldn't hold a connection for a 260mB download. I might be able to get someone to send me SP2 on a CD but I don't really need it for anything other than this.

Please does anyone know what 'bits' of SP2 are needed to run iPod photo software? ie, would it be possible to download (onto a computer running Win98) or ask someone to send me the relevant updates?

Have searched the Apple site and discussion forums, will continue to google and ask on the forum if necessary.

Another point, the iPod says it needs a high power USB2 port - how do we know if ours is high power or not, and just in case it isn't, are we likely to do any damage if we plug it in and see what happens?! If not I will try installing the iPod software, maybe the music bit might work even if the photo bit doesn't - or not?! Anyone ever tried it?

Any other good ideas out there?

A general whinge - why do so many products require very recent computers in order to work? We have four perfectly good computers here, and two digital cameras which will only work with one of them and now an iPod which won't work with any of them!

TIA

Reply to
Holly in France

snip

Aha, sorry bad form to reply to myself, might have found the answer here:

ever tried it or know of a similar driver which is known to work? The iPod is already formatted and has some music on it (husband organised it through a friend). It would be much better if I could get it working on my own Win98 machine rather than using the kids computer all the time.

TIA again

Reply to
Holly in France

And we are always being told that everyone in France has infinite speed broadband for 1 sou a year.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I was only thinking of using the internet to download the XP SP2 update, since I read it was possible that it might not need the whole 260mB download if done using Windows Update. Also that downloading SP2 update onto a Win98 computer and then tranferring to the XP one might be asking for trouble, apart from which the win98 machine doesn't have room! Other than that we will copy music off existing CDs. But as I said in the other post, I would rather not use the XP computer at all if I can use my own Win98 machine.

Sympathy returned! That's one problem I won't have for a while, we need 100 people in the village to agree to sign up for broadband before France Telecom will upgrade the lines, and that's not going to happen anytime soon!

Reply to
Holly in France

Probably not. If the iPod needs more power than your PC's USB ports can provide, you can plug in a *powered* USB hub which costs not a lot.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Are you? :-) Hmm, well, I think unlimited broadband packages start at about

15 euro/month, although it seems to vary with the speed one chooses. I pay the same for unlimited access 5am to 5pm and 20 hours/month outside those times, anything over that at the local phone rate. I'm online as much as I want and for me this is about as much as I used the old esat nolimits service. Broadband coverage in France is very good on the whole, it's just people out in the sticks who don't have it. How easily available is in Ireland these days, and at what price?

You set followups to uk.diy but since you appear to be posting from ie.comp I have added it back in, hope that's Ok with you. I'll leave uk.diy in for now too but it's probably more on topic on ie.comp.

Reply to
Holly in France

Thanks for that, as a result I've just had a go. Do you happen to remember if the iPod software needed to go online to register before set-up would complete? Install hangs just after the bit where I have to put in the name & address etc, and I'm wondering if that is the reason why?

No such newfangled things here :-)

Reply to
Holly in France

For what its worth the SP2 CD was available free from Microsoft and sent out with a lot of computer mags as well - they really wanted to blitz the place and ensure people used it - it resolved a lot of security type issues.

In relation to the Ipod I think it did go online (fairly sure actually).

Reply to
Des O'Donoghue

Here is the link to get SP2 on CD

Des O'Donoghue

Thanks for everyones replies to this thread. I had problems getting the XP computer to 'see' the ipod at all, but after resetting the ipod it now (partially so far) works without SP2 and with the existing USB port. I haven't managed to load the software that came with the ipod without an internet connection, but have loaded itunes, which can now see the contents of the ipod. Just have to work out how to load the music onto the ipod manually now (to avoid losing existing music on ipod!), haven't had time yet. itunes loads photos though so I hope it will do music too.

I'm also half way there with the Win98 computer, which was much easier using a downloaded driver and it saw the ipod first time round - a miracle! I can use the ipod as an external disk drive, which is handy, can get music off it OK but can't upload it in a way that it can be 'seen' by the ipod software. I haven't so far found any software which can 'see' the ipod even though it's mounted and visible as an external drive, so I am slowly working on that too. RealPlayer should work but is a huge download so will try to get that on CD. Winamp might work but needs windows scripting host which I disabled long ago for security reasons which I now can't remember!

So, I think I'll get there in the end, thanks again for everyones help.

Reply to
Holly in France

explain how to manually synchronise the Ipod without losing existing music and also tell of an excellent utility called PodUtil which enables you to download the music from your Ipod into Itunes so a) you have it backed up and b) you can synchronise automatically which is simpler.

It is a very good site covering all things poddish

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Berry

If you want you can email me your address and I'll send you a DVD or CD with SP2, Real Player, Windows Media Player, any other downloads you want.

As someone who never thought he would get Broadband but did, I empathise with your problems in getting large downloads over dialup.

Martin Harran

Reply to
Martin Harran

link from there that lead me to the Win98 driver.

ISTR PodUtil was one which wouldn't work with win98, or else I thought there was some other problem with it. I'll have another look. I suspect I would be OK with what I have if I had the ipod software on the XP machine, I've just been too lazy so far to connect it all up to the internet so that I can install the software. Bloody nuisance, you pay for the ipod and ergo the software, and then can't install it without an internet connection :-(

Yes indeed, thanks again

-- Holly, in France Holiday Home in Dordogne

Holly, in France