OT: Leno's in a pickle, say wot?

How can Leno possibly be successful by taking back the Tonight Show? Conan isn't funny, well, sometimes he is, but Leno has lost it altogether. Go play in your garage, Jay...I like you there.

NBC sure shot themselves in the foot.

Reply to
Robatoy

Neither one of them can hold a candle to what Carson laid down for them to follow.

IMHO, Fallon is a sleeper in this little play.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Agreed I think they gave Fuh Up.

Here is my take. I really liked Leno after his first year on the Tonight show. The first year he seemed to not be in control. The second year really appeared to me that he took charge.

Conan replaces Letteman and that show was OK every once in a great while.

Leno decides to call it quits several years ago and stays till early 09.

Concan fills the void.... and what seems to work exactly like it did when Leno took over the Tonight Show, the show was not too good.

The New before the news Leno show is very good IMHO. BUT

BUT this type entertainment seems best after the late night news and laying in bed. Basically no competition... Leterman never was any competition IMHO.

It appears that many others seem to believe the way I do about when this type entertainment show shoud air and now NBC is going to bump Conan and the Tonight Show back 30 minutes to make room for the new 30 minute Leno show.

Conan refuses to take part.

Fallon sucked at first but I think he is improving.....when I can keep my eyes open that long.....

So while I preferred Leno, his spot is taken now, give the others the same chance.... I would rather see Leno on the Tonight Show right now but Conan apparently was no slouch on his show before taking over after Leno.

Leno had his chance and quit.....

Perhaps if NBC whould get rid of those cheesy farkin cheap ass reality shows they would do better.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Well, that is the thing. Two years ago, NBC decided that it was a brave new world and they were gonna produce programming on the cheap and make lots of money. That is the reasoning behind moving leno to the 10:00 o'clock time slot.

Their affiliates revolted. Viewership is down across the board for all of NBC. The just had a big new conference in the last few day where they said the are going back to basics. The are going to start spending money on programming and get rid of Leno at ten.

And yes, I have fond memories of Johnny Carson as well. But he is dead. And the network makes money off of Leno. It may be stabbing Conan in the back, but he never pulled in the numbers anyway. And it is about money, right?

NBC made some big mistakes. They are now addressing those things. Putting an old favorite back into the tonight show is probably their best bet. But they are going to lose more market share before this is over. You can't scrw up this big and immediately solve all of their problems.

All the networks go up and down with their ratings and numbers over the years. It depends largely on who is in charge. And theygot a lot more competition now too.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

FWIW dept.:

(Conan addresses the universe)

(Letterman at his understated best)

("Late-night landscape")

Reply to
Steve

They can recover by the simple expedient of simply simulcasting Bill O'Reilly with Fox.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 1/12/2010 5:16 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Craig Ferguson's got them all beat. By a mile.

(Yeah, yeah, Carson was the best and all that, but those days are *gone*.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 1/12/2010 7:15 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Yeah, you *would* say that, "Bub".

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

He certainly has the talent, but the silly format of the show keeps him shackled.

3-4 years ago, he was very amusing.

Today, not so much.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No question about his talent; however, like fine wine, a steady diet of his stuff was more than I could handle.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Carson used to be a definite stay-up for. Leno the first several years also. However, as Leno went on, he got more and more material that seemed to be more propagandizing for an agenda than really being purely comedy material. Not that political jokes are bad, but when a definite bias starts to creep in, it starts not being so funny. His "Jay Walking" and other bits were really good. But as time went on, making time for the Tonight Show just wasn't a priority and got to where we stopped watching completely a number of years ago. Every once in a while would tune in again, but just couldn't work up the enthusiasm to watch through, let alone past the monologue.

The few times I watched Conan on his original time slot, I found the jokes more forced than funny (just my opinion) so it doesn't surprise me he is not doing well with a Tonight Show audience.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Jan 13, 12:34=A0am, Mark & Juanita wrote: .

That is particularly true when the bias swings away from one's personal ideology. My blood curdles when I'm exposed to gross sexual or Jesus jokes; they're off limits. That kind of humour will have them rolling in the vomit and peanut shells of many piss-tanks across our nations. just not for me. But.... are those jokes funny? Well, yes. To those losers they're funny. If Leno cracks a pro left-wing joke, and the majority of the nation responds with laughter, like they did at election-time, then Leno is successful in pleasing his audience. That is good for business, and what's good for business is okay. (Right-wing model) Take that barf-bag Stephen Colbert for instance, Or Glenn Beck, who claims he does it all for 'shock'.... because nobody can be that big of an idiot without having an audience to play to. (Right-wing business model)... and I won't discuss O'Reilly..or Coultergheist. They're all comedians with biases, right? Personally, funny is funny... and I don't care who the target is. I told many Hillary jokes. Many Bill Clinton jokes. Bob Dole... now there's a source. Do *I* care what political side they're on? Nope. But... when somebody hands you a treasure trove like GWB...how can you help it? Is Rahm Emmanual funnier than Karl Rove? Nope.. both very dangerous people. Is there anybody creepier than Timothy F. Geithner or James Carville?

=A0

I like Leno's garage. Period. Headlines are funny when I stumble into them, I certainly don't hang around the TV to get to them. Conan has his moments. Fallon is funny, sometimes, but he has The Roots! Ferguson cracks me up...for a little while. Funny to me is Steven Wright but he couldn't do a show every night. EVERY night... man, that must be hard.

The 'Tonight Show Audience' is getting old. Times have changed. I Carson's day, silly was funny, now silly is contrived.

Reply to
Robatoy

Put my name in the "who cares?" column.

Leno used to be funny when he did standup as a guest on Carson. When he took over, the show went down hill and I've not watched since. I used to watch Allen, then Carson. These days, I get up earlier and go to bed before the news. (Oh, I remember watching Jack Paar sometimes too)

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's not all his fault. The world in general and his guests in particular are more dreary than in times past.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 1/12/2010 9:13 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

You mean to say that you don't think hand puppets are the /sine qua non/ of late-night TV humor?

Well, Ferguson knows how to do something very well that most other TV talk-show hosts don't: self-mockery. Now, I certainly wouldn't ever want to watch his show (or any other) every night. After all, this is TV we're talking about. Remember Newt Minnow's famous comment, about the "vast wasteland"?

TV is crap. And Ferguson says so every show. That alone makes him worth watching in my book. (But not every night.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I would agree that Ferguson is the 'freshest' of them all. Doesn't take himself too seriously unlike that smug Kimmel. I am not anti-TV, because I go through the cable guide every night in the hope to find something worthwhile. Mythbusters, some History Channel stuff, Daily Planet, The Festool Channel, thatsabout it.

Reply to
Robatoy

On 1/13/2010 11:49 AM Robatoy spake thus:

Yeah, smugness. Except for Ferguson, they're pretty much all smug (I agree Kimmel's the worst here). Conan has a nervous smugness; Letterman is smarmily smug. Leno is cocky-smug.

As much as I dislike Letterman, I will say this: he seems to be the only remaining late-night TV host who actually can *interview* his hosts the way the master, Carson, used to. Which means actually *listening* to what they're saying instead of injecting themselves into every comment their guest makes, or angling for a clever double entendre or whatever. That element has all but disappeared from this genre.

And I do appreciate Ferguson for his sheer surrealism, which nobody else on TV seems to even know about.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Jeff Dunham once said, through his puppet Walter, that he finally figured out what NBC stands for : "Nothing But Crap".

Reply to
CW

On Jan 13, 3:08=A0pm, David Nebenzahl wrote: [snipped for brevity]

The WORST for that interjection crap is that Chris Matthews. Nobody has ever finished an answer to a question he/she has been asked by Matthews. I hate that! After two or three times, that guy made it on my shitlist. That whole MSNBC network has gone the way of Fox, but from a slightly different angle. But there's still some glimmer of intelligence there. Olbermann and Maddow are at least smart, although way too far over to the left. That's my biggest beef with gay people. They want to be accepted..then, when they are, they won't shut up about it. Mind you. if I could drink a jug of scotch with Maddow, I would.

Reply to
Robatoy