OT: Huckabee, Ughh

Christian right (CR) is locked in. I was hopeful that Guliani would win for the Reps because he wouldn't pull as much of the CR. Former preacher as Pres? "Wall of Separation" between church and state???? Scary.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I am referring to the Iowa Caucuses. :^(

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

GW:

Quite. There was a newspaper story about him holding up a disaster relief bill in his state for a month because he refused to accept inclusion of the ancient legal phrase "act of god". Add that to another one that pointed out his interference in the parole process of a violent felon whom he had prayed with. Though he denies instructing board members what to do in this case, they refute him. After the criminal got out, he did a murder which checking may show also involved a rape.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Check your constititution, no "wall of separation" between church and state is even remotely mentioned. The idea is patently absurd as it would require people elected to office to operate in a manner inconsistent with their conscience.

What the constitution does say is that "Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" Pretty straightforward

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

60% of the caucus goers were born again Christians. That won't hold up in the rest of the states. He won't be the next President.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

IMHO, best thing that could happen to the Democrats.

The country is looking for meaningful change, not a continuation of the "My way or the highway" literal interpretation religious rhetoric.of the far right religious group.

We had tried that way the last 7 years.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I think Huckabee is a nice guy and I'd go hunting with him, but you guys don't need another religious fanatic who talks to God and blames God for everything and then gets his ass handed to him by Israel.

Reply to
Robatoy

Let's see - everyone made fun of Kucinich (sp?) and his UFO story, but voted for a man that says the Earth is only 6000 years old! At least Bush occasionally visits reality, Huckabee doesn't even know what it is :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The "Wall of seperation" was penned by Thomas Jefferson during his term as president. It was in a letter in response to a Baptist congregation (Danbury) which had written him regarding some concerns about religiuos freedoms. Jefferson assured them the constitution protyected their rights to express their religion in civic affairs. He apparently coined the well known phrase in this letter, although Madison uses a simialr but stronger phrase "total wall..". However, to be clear in both case the writers were speaking to the protection of the church and their religious freedom and not the protection of the state. More specifically to the churches right to organize and be active in civic affairs (vote in theior guy). And they both stress that it is the civic duty of the religious to exercise their "natural right" and their "right to conscience" commonly interpreted to mean they should be active in civic affairs such as campaigning, etc. So I would contend that the legislative intent of the first ammendment is at least equally strong in both the establishment and restrictive clauses.

If you would like, I can go back farther, > Christian right (CR) is locked in. =A0 I was hopeful that Guliani would wi= n

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Agreed... I'm not pushing for any one candidate jsut yet. I want to see what floats to the top or sinks to the bottom at this point... But... The separation of church and state was to keep the state out of the church, not the other way around... Morals and concience are based on religion for many people. Remove the religion and you might as well have a free-for-all because there is no long term accountability beyond the human aspect of life.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

"Robatoy" wrote

I think Huckabee is a nice guy and I'd go hunting with him, but you guys don't need another religious fanatic who talks to God and blames God for everything and then gets his ass handed to him by Israel.

Among other things, he's a politician ... that's two strikes right there.

It's the little things that ultimately make the man ...

The end result of the way you raise/govern your kids (two sons) can say a lot about ability to govern. The folks I asked in AR last week were full of stories on that score, apparently many provable and a matter of public record ... some of it ain't pretty.

First time I saw Huckabee, he weighed about 300 pounds. Although he talks about diet and exercise as if he lost it the hard way, IIRC, he had gastric bypass

... IME, mostly the resort of those lacking the self discipline to quit stuffing their pie hole.

"Uncle Teet", 83 and a college educated rural Arkansan, put it best when I asked what he thought: "He (Huckabee) believes he can talk a coon dog up a tree, but all that hot air did as governor was keep his hunting buddies warm", or words to that effect.

Bottom line ... non of the bastards are going to tell you the truth about anything, only what they think you want to hear that will cause them to be elected, then BOHICA.

For those of you who really want to take this country back - ww.goooh.com - the only way that concept won't work is "apathy", but we've already proved that is the most likely trait of this culture.

When it comes to self government, you, unfortunately for us, get exactly what you deserve.

Reply to
Swingman

wrote

LOL ... Spot on! Next time, put that at both the top and bottom for full effect!

Reply to
Swingman

"Robatoy" wrote

Reply to
Swingman

Won't even be the Republican nominee. What plays well in the Iowa caucuses isn't going to play so well in much of the rest of the nation.

Reply to
Doug Miller

*starts practicing speaking in tongues*
Reply to
B. White

By coincidence I've been reading memoirs of W T Sherman -- last night got to point where the Union had recaptured Fort Sumter. On the day of the fourth anniversary of its surrender, there was a major observance during which the specific flag which had been flown at the time of surrender was re-raised, salutes in tribute and acknowledgment were fired from the same batteries which had performed the bombardment and there was a program. The order of the program was to open w/ prayer and the address was by an ordained preacher. The "separation" so extolled by the present-day folk as a tenet is, as noted above, absolutely not the same thing as most now take it to be.

It was, of course, simply that there was a strong aversion to the founding of an actual state-sponsored and/or required religion and/or church, _not_ that there should be no religious observation.

--

Reply to
dpb

Please, God. We have one clown in there now who claims to have God whispering in his ear. The country absolutely cannot stand two in a row: it may yet find it cannot stand one for two terms. Bush's bullshit won't be over for decades...hell, it is going to take our great-great-grandkids to pay off the war debt.

Reply to
Charlie Self

When was the last time Georgie Boy paid a visit to real life? Age 9 or

10?
Reply to
Charlie Self

I do not know that. I have noticed it, now you mentioned it. I will snoop for a setting ...I mostly use Google Groups on any of 3 macs.

Reply to
Robatoy

True. But one way to make the formation of a state-sponsored religion difficult, if not impossible, is to forbid government sponsored events from having officially led prayers. It's a little like the school prayer bullshit: no one is prevented from praying in school; what is prevented is any official form of prayer, led by teachers, or by student leaders. Any student, teacher or principal, can sit and pray to himself or herself as often as they like, without let or hindrance, except that if they are too loud at it, others will scratch their heads and gaze upon them with wonder--asking themselves, "What's that fool doing out alone?"

Then again, people may just think they're using a cell phone.

Reply to
Charlie Self