OT How to draw an Ellipse

Ran across this on a "teardrop" trailer site and thought someone might be interested. Items #4 & # 5 at the bottom of the page show a couple of ways of using string to draw an ellipse.

Peter Shull

nospambob

"Peter Shull" wrote in message... Hey, Pete, Not exactly new, but a nice presentation. Any other useful file information in the blueyonder? DAC

Reply to
D. A. Clark

Two concentric (same center) circles. You need only 1/4 since the circle/ellipse is symmetric N, S, E, W. So let's talk about the upper right quadrant. The outer has the larger radius dimension of the ellipse, and the inner the smaller.

From the center draw a line anywhere to cut both circles. From the inner circle/line intersection draw a horizontal line towards the outer circle. From the outer circle draw a vertical line down to meet the horizontal. Where they meet is a point on the ellipse. Do this as many times as you like, and join the dots. [I'll avoid all the math to prove this. Or any decent text on analytic geometry, or mechanical drawing will do if interested.]

If this newsgroups got rid of all the B.S. and spam, there'd be room to post meaningful binaries.

Method 2, even simpler:

Any cheap/free CAD program will draw one to true dimension in a flash. Edit to the quarter ellipse, and cut out for a template.

Dan.

Reply to
Danny Boy

awhile. I have one of those Construction Master calculators now to do that. Yep, how times change. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Most news servers drop attachments in non-binary groups, so you wouldn't be able to post binaries in rec.woodworking anyway. That's what alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking was set up for.

Doug Miller