OT: Electrical Update

So I posted a thread a while back about my new circuit I installed.

I originally ran 12-2 wire for a 15 amp breaker w/ 15amp GFI in a garage. The circuit was connected to a single receptacle and single tool (planer).

Well, my planer is still tripping the breaker on 'first turn on'. If I reset the tool would start w/ no tripping.

Today I replaced the 15A w/ 20A breaker and replaced 15A GFI w/ 20 Amp GFI. It looks like the problem is fixed.

Who ever it was that suggested I use 20A instead of 15A you were correct and I was wrong. I should have went w/ 20 amp originally as suggested.

-Brian

Reply to
brian

I could be not remembering correctly. But I think every single person who posted in that thread suggested you use a 20 Amp breaker and GFCI. There i s no reason on earth not to use 20 Amp breakers and 12 gauge wire. 15 Amp breakers and 14 gauge wire should not exist on earth.

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:36:18 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wr ote:

The circuit was connected to a single receptacle and single tool (planer) .

eset the tool would start w/ no tripping.

I. It looks like the problem is fixed.

and I was wrong. I should have went w/ 20 amp originally as suggested.

Reply to
russellseaton1

posted in that thread suggested

you use a 20 Amp breaker and GFCI. There is no reason on earth not to use 20 Amp breakers and 12 gauge wire.

15 Amp breakers and 14 gauge wire should not exist on earth. 15A breakers and 14 gauge wire are fine for lighting circuits and things like gar^H^H^Hshop door openers.
Reply to
Doug Winterburn

circuit was connected to a single receptacle and single tool (planer).

the tool would start w/ no tripping.

It looks like the problem is fixed.

was wrong. I should have went w/ 20 amp originally as suggested.

What size wire is in the walls?

15-amp vs. 20-amp. Most circuits and devices in a home are rated as 15-amp or 20-amp. What this means varies a bit from one item to another. In a way, it all starts with the size of the wire. 14-gauge wire is the smallest allowed for the permanent wiring of a circuit. It is rated as able to carry up to 15 amps of current. 12-gauge wire is the next size larger and is allowed to carry up to 20 amps.
Reply to
Richard