OT: DST

wrote

I do ... it's called "filial love" ... a quality, mostly exhibited by the female of the species, that's been taking care of the elderly since shortly after Adam and Eve ... and bless those who exhibit such a great measure of it!

AAMOF, it is arguably one it one of the last great human "responsibilities" that only a few can afford to buy their way out of.

The insurance companies want you to think their product is the answer to this age old problem ... for most it is not. Unless, of course, you happen to be suckling on the public tit. In that case, my tax dollars will insure that you can.

Reply to
Swingman

"dpb" wrote

Unfortunately, LTC insurance is out of the financial reach of many, if not most, of the folks in this country, is poorly understood, and ripe with potential fraud.

Before rushing out willy nilly to buy it, it would behoove anyone considering it to visit:

Swingman

Swingman wrote: ...

I'd venture not out of the reach of most partaking of this group and like anything else does need care in choosing a reputable vendor. It does, of course, require a personal commitment to use some funds for something other than short term gratification.

The return on Mom's policy paid more than total in premiums for both their policies in about 2 years and the combination of it and her SS benefit made up virtually the whole expense of the nursing home care.

As in any insurance, it's expensive unless and until you need it.

--

Reply to
dpb

Sure it's wonderful to have it you can afford it, but your one example does not make for a good judgment call on the matter.

Consumer Reports: "But will such insurance really work? A CR investigation, for which we reviewed 47 policies, reveals that for most people, long-term-care insurance is too risky and too expensive. "

must read before considering.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote: ...

Everybody has to make the judgment on their own conditions and best information they can obtain, certainly.

A history of dementia or Alzheimer's, particularly in the immediate family would be an integral part of that consideration.

The single example simply points out that it _can_ greatly alleviate a material concern of wherewithal that might otherwise aggravate an already difficult situation.

I consider it a matter everybody ought to _seriously_ consider which is all I have recommended (and still do).

--

Reply to
dpb

Not to mention that most prudent financial advisors do not recommend buying LTC insurance until 60, and then ONLY if you _easily_ can afford the premiums, which are subject to increases, and can do so until you need it, and certainly NOT at the expense of other necessities ... pretty much exactly the opposite of what the LTC insurance sellers want you to hear.

We've just gone through this with my FIL and something called "Triple Care for Life", or somesuch, and I'm still of the opinion that something is being espoused here based on limited experience and without the benefit of sufficient research. I would recommend starting with the Consumer Reports study of LTC insurance for an unbiased look at the pro's and con's.

If not, there is no doubt that "...the industry (insurance) thanks you!" ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Don't mean to sound crass, but sounds like they managed to retain parental control by application of the old guilt trip routine.

Sometimes we don't want to face reality, but it has to be done.

Something the pros face every day, and are equipped to handle.

The old guilt trip routine got shot down in flames.

Sounds like he could use more than he is getting.

That is unfortunate; however, it is still just stuff.

As my mother has often said, "Never yet saw a U-Haul follow a hearse".

task,

Sometimes it takes a united front to overcome the old guilt trip game.

Sounds like you are making some progress.

Going rate for a nursing home is in the $180/day range.

That $480 wouldn't even cover 2 days for 2 people.

Looks like you may be headed down a path everybody can live with.

Might want to check out meals on wheels, my mother really liked it and the fact somebody knocked on the door and said "Hello, how are you", 5 days a week.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Leon" wrote

Last I heard, from Mr Eaux this morning (and he should know) the price for the "7 - 9 diamond" stuff was on the order of $30,000 a night, reflecting a discount of course.

Reply to
Swingman

Good sir, you have mastered the art of understatement. My folks could shame The Pope into suicide.

I laughed pretty hard at that as it took a really long time for me to catch on.

SNIP

I have tried to get him to talk to a counselor about depression, many, many times. I have even procured two different prescriptions for him and conned him into two psych evaluations. Both times the counselors admitted that there were a lot of troubling issues there, and that some counseling would certainly help. They told me that they could treat him on a six months at a time prescribed medical basis since they could tie in at least part of his depression to his long term, debilitating illness.

I was elated. Dear old Dad told me "he wasn't crazy, and no damn bitch could tell him he was". That was that. Besides, he told me, real mean don't go around sharing their problems, they suck 'em up.

So much for counseling.

I agree, but I see where they are coming from. Her little bitty first wedding band that she got in 1951 meant a lot more to her than her newer band with a stone for each of her kids. It didn't matter much as they stole them both.

The bad things about the check theft was that the vendors didn't want to back off the forged checks. Since they stole the reserve box, not the active book, my folks couldn't immediately tell the bank which checks to put a stop on. Worse, they wanted $25 a check, and with the whole box gone it would have been 250 checks to cover, or over $6000. The bank informed them that simply closing the account didn't negate the fact that checks were out there, and that it wasn't the bank's fault if they were honored.

Thankfully, San Antonio has a special police investigative unit that just covers check fraud. Nothing else. When they came to investigate the missing checks, they found out what the bank said to my folks. They were able to set the bank straight, and the bullshit stopped immediately with who was going to pay for the hot checks the bank honored. My folks didn't pay much more than about $300 in total.

I think in the end, the constant flurry of activity was harder on them in the end than the theft was. Having the check fraud cops come over to the house every time a check popped up was hard, and then toss in a robbery investigator from the crime unit every time they thought they found one of my Mom's pieces of jewelry, sprinkled with a guy from the bank from time to time was really hard for them.

You know, that's a great idea. We had talked about that with them before, and they have said "no" a couple of times. It might well be time to bring that up again, EXACTLY for the reason you mentioned.

Thanks, Lew.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Here 'tis.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

The first casualty of a good hooker scandal is the truth. $ 1000.00 per hour is the stuff tossed around in the courts. Client 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9........ paid $ 4300 for 3.5 hours and had a credit of $ 500 for his next school-boy flogging.

That girl isn't bad looking. As one Farker put it: " The guy who could pull me out of that, would be the next King of England."

Reply to
Robatoy

Well if the tax payers are paying , WHO CARES! I'm betting that there are quite a few politicians going Arthur Anderson right about now.

Reply to
Leon

Hey, and I'm worth every penny. babe magnet, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Yeah but, at $4500 per hour, 2 minutes worth is affordable.

Reply to
Leon

Yes it is. And it's their choice? Question mark is there for what I think is an obvious reason but I'll explain it below.

Dad passed away last spring and Mom at

84 suffered some heart problems a few months later. Nearly did her in, but she rallied. When she got back from the hospital, one of my sisters moved in with her for a few months. Sister is gone now, and we've convinced Mom to get a Panic Button.

Apart from the dog, she's alone in a big house. She "claims" she wears it all the time. Who knows...

It took a lot of talking to get her to even have a sales guy call about the button. She doesn't like it cause it won't work 300 yds from the house. I don't blame her and can't understand why it wouldn't work anywhere.

Regardless, I think she simply doesn't like the idea of having the damned thing and would rather die when her number comes up. I don't have a convincing argument against that kind of outlook. I'm a bit of a fatalist myself, and don't believe in fighting the odds at that age. I love my Mom and will cry a lot when she goes, but I also know that one of her counters to the button is "What's it going to buy me? It might save my life the first time, but what about the next?"

Again...no way to convincingly argue against that....YMMV.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

At least they won't get you in trouble being out of sync.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Different expectations from each?

Hmmm......

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:3UlCj.1003$qT6.237 @nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:

I happened to look at ours the other day and was surprised it actually had the right time. You can tell I really care a lot about what time the water softener has.

Now, for the time being my garage thermostat's right. I might or might not reset it next DST. (New thermostat, programmable. Trying to save some propane by not keeping things as warm.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

AFP did. They called him a Republican, of course...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Ohmigod! That's hilarious. Consider it stolen and already put to good use.

Reply to
LRod