First aid wake-up call

I keep a first aid kit handy in the shop. It's a plastic case with 10 or so boxes inside. The boxes hold the usual stuff: gauze, triangular bandage, bandage compress, tape. &tc. Each box ix securely wrapped in sturdy plastic.

This morning my daughter put a nasty cut on her finger. It wasn't deep but it was bleeding profusely.

I pulled out the box with the bandage compress and went to open it. The damn plastic cover on the box was so sturdy that I couldn't tear it open or split it at the seams wit my hands. I used a razor knife.

If I had a shop accident in which I cut my hand or fingers, I don't think I wouldv'e been able to open the damn box. The thought of bleeding out with an unopened compress in my hand kinna' spooks me.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:25:53 -0800, Zz Yzx

Yup, it could have been worse. Guess you're going to have to take your preparedness a little further. I keep a first aid kit too, but I know mine's been opened because the first thing I did when I got it was to add a few things like tweezers for splinters, better scissors for cutting bandages and stuff like that.

Reply to
Dave

That is what the roll of paper towels in the shop is for. Since it is on a roll it is relatively clean, though not sterile. When your finger is bleeding like a new oil well, a wad of paper towels is great compress until you can get the proper treatment or help.

Worked for me when I cut my fingers on the saw. Good think was I got minimal blood on the shop floor, and none on the piece I was cutting or the saw.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Put the cut finger in fresh coffee grounds. It stops the bleeding.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Being an electrician I've always done well with Paper Towels and electrical tape. To renew our license we have to have 24 CEU. One 4 hr. class is First Aid so you have a valid First Aid card on the job. The paramedic who teaches it always recommends adding Kotex to your emergency kit as it makes a great compress.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Really? No Shit? Stiptic pencil too.

Reply to
woodchucker

But really difficult to explain to the wife :)

Reply to
John

One of the reasons those blue, disposable shop towels are always on hand/in the dispenser, and handy.

Add in a wife who absentmindedly locks the back door while you're in the shop (the other point of egress is the driveway gate, always locked) ... it takes three hands to apply enough pressure to stop/control the bleeding (especially if you're on a blood thinner), and operate a key in a deadbolt.

Reply to
Swingman

Spoken like a true Woodie

Reply to
Mike Stanford

---------------------------------------------------- A fellow boat builder up in Portland is also an ER Doc.

His take on most first aid kits is they are very much an over priced collection of band aids.

He is very much in favor of assembling your own kit which should include a bottle of betadine to sterilize open wounds, tools, gauze pads and tape.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When I cut my finger on the table saw the doctor told me to do something that makes sense but I had never heard it before. He said that before you place the dressing on the wound cover it with one of the petroleum jelly based three in one antibiotic creams.

This does two things, the most obvious it helps fight infections. The petroleum jelly keeps the scabs soft and less likely to get stuck in the bandage and pulled off. It works like a charm.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I thought you, of all people, would use 240v cauterization. ;)

Yeah, Gunner over in Wreck.Metalheads taught me about keeping both kotex pads and tampons for wounds. Shove a tampon in a bullet hole so you can keep shooting until you can take care of it properly.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I worked primarily with 480, and it's been a long time since I've been nailed but that stuff hurts. I've always had a healthy respect for safety around electricity.

Reply to
Mike M

Also Cayenne pepper.

Reply to
willshak

Superglue.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Timely advice for me. I just had a couple of teeth extracted. The dentist sent me home with a supply of gauze pads to soak up blood and stop the ble eding. He told me that if the bleeding seemed to persist, replace the pad with a dampened tea bag inside of gauze, but he didn't think I would bleed very long.

Long story, short I did continue to bleed into the evening so I tried the t ea bag trick and the bleeding stopped within 20-30 minutes (I skipped the g auze because even as big as my mouth is, everything didn't fit). Doesn't t aste bad if you like hot tea.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

sent me home with a supply of gauze pads to soak up blood and stop the bleeding. He told me that if the bleeding seemed to persist, replace the pad with a dampened tea bag inside of gauze, but he didn't think I would bleed very long.

bag trick and the bleeding stopped within 20-30 minutes (I skipped the gauze because even as big as my mouth is, everything didn't fit). Doesn't taste bad if you like hot tea.

Heard about that, but never tried it. We are not tea drinkers, but have tea bags for visitors on hand all the time. Based on your above, a few bags of same are heading out to the shop first aid kit when I finish typing this. Taking an anti-coagulant and aspirin and have been warned about the side effects. As well as getting older not being for sissies, and it also takes more due diligence. ;)

... thanks for jogging my memory!

Reply to
Swingman

This is something I know about. I used to work with an herbalist and some alternative docs.

One of the standard treatments for bleeding in folk medicine is stinging nettle leaf; This stuff is great at stopping bleeding any way you apply it. You can buy it in capsule form, even concentrated, which is even better. You just take some whenever bleeding is happening or has the potential to happen. You can open a capsule and apply the nettle leaf directly to a wound. I have stopped a number of "bleeders" by doing that. I am sure you can get it in tea bags as well.

Also, nettle leaf tea is often consumed by folks who are bleeding. Some bleeding in the mouth? Just take the tea into the mouth and let it sit there for awhile.

I should point out that there is also nettle root supplements. Although this has healing qualities, IT IS A BLOOD THINNER!! Not to be taken if bleeding is a problem.

Many people just take nettle leaf supps every day and load up on them if there is any bleeding.

Another herb is tien chi or tienchi or tien chi ginseng or noto ginseng. This is a Chinese herb that is used by their military. The Viet Cong used it. If they got shot, they put this on the wound and took it internally. It stopped the bleeding. It is more expensive, but it very effective.

Neither the nettle leaf or the tienchi add to "clotting". Their mechanism of stopping the bleeding is not understood very well. But it works. And it does not add to clotting or any kind of arterial blockage. I keep both of them on the shelf. I have always had chronic nose bleeds and these herbs keeps it in check.

Any way, if you are interested in this, just drop me an email and we can talk.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Swingman wrote in news:6M-dne5ET9DD9rLMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Another use for tea is to use (roomtemperature or colder) strong tea to tan your hide and partially reverse a sunburn. (there is a lot of tannin in tea).

Reply to
Han