DIY rinse aid

I am out of rinse aid (and am disinclined to make a special trip to the supermarket to buy some)

can I make some more by watering down washing up liquid, or will that not work?

tim

Reply to
tim...

Washing up liquid tends to leave smears, if not rinsed off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From what I know, don't put WUL of any concentration in a dishwasher.

Also, when my dishwashers rinse-aid mechanism failed, about 5 years ago, the consensus here was not to worry. Which I didn't and things still clean up OK.

Might help that we're in a very soft water area ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Your DW tabs may already include rinse aid, if they're all -in-one.

You might not need rinse aid if you have soft water.

Some white vinegar will do the rinse-aidy job of de-smearing glasses, but might affect the rubbery parts of the rinse-aid compartment/mechanism.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I use Ilford Ilfotol wetting agent intended for the final rinse when developing film. Brilliant for cleaning glass and leaving a streak-free finish.

It was £6 when I bought it in 2008 and a litre goes a long, long way

Andrew

Sorry, only for glass as in optical or see-through, not the stuff you eat off !

Reply to
Andrew

Don't use washing up liquid. Try this mix for a DIY solution

Chris Hogg

hence the confirmation that my suggestion is sensible

cos when I use to develop film we use a thin solution of washing up liquid as a drying agent

but that would be mixed per use, and it didn't matter if the solution was a bit bubbly

I guess that the hardness of the water helps

tim

Reply to
tim...

nope

nope

okey dokey

Reply to
tim...

well

I hardly consider

citric acid, rubbing alcohol lemon essential oil

as common ingredients

like I already have them in my cupboard - not

by the time I have put that little lot together I could have bought the commercial stuff

but thanks anyway

tim

Reply to
tim...

If I can substitute orange for lemon, then no problem. :-) Doesn't everyone have some alcohol and citric acid lying around?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

We certainly do. But if ?rubbing alcohol? is surgical spirit, it contains something intended to taste nasty (most drinking alcohol won?t be strong enough), so I wonder whether American surgical spirit doesn?t?

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Get some genuine stuff. Amazon's best seller:

2 x 800ml Finish rinse aid, choice of Original or Lemon, free delivery.

Get some dishwasher powder/tabs while you're at it...

Reply to
Spike

Well us home distillers have - certainly up to 90% ABV

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Or just use all-in-1 tablets - removes the need for salt and rinse aid. Haven't put either in my dishwasher for a long time . . .

Reply to
RJH

Citric acid has long been on my list of items that I want in my cupboard as cheap generic scale remover, because I don't like the smell of vinegar

but I have never (since about 1970) seen anywhere openly selling it,

so no, I don't have some in my cupboards (I just suffer the smell of the vinegar)

Reply to
tim...

there was me thinking home distilling was illegal

(personally don't care cos it's not my choice of tipple)

tim

Reply to
tim...

actually, it seems very difficult to buy anything other than 3-in-1 ATM

I was looking for some more powder, but I ended up having to buy 3-in-1 tabs

but I'm still working my way through the last lot of powder

That's looking at own brands BTW, I think I could have bought a branded powder - at about twice the price per wash of the own brand tabs

tim

Reply to
tim...

Same here. Due to lack of availability of our normal tab, we've been using Finish Powerball tabs - results so far are excellent.

Me neither...but the OP asked about rinse aid...

Reply to
Spike

tim... has brought this to us :

Homebrew home wine shops stock it.