OT: Question for the Houstonians out there

I lived in Houston 1982 - 1987. The first house we rented (Lockshin Drive, west of Hwy. 6) had an odd feature that I've wondered about ever since:

The master bath had a bathtub and a separate shower enclosure. The shower had a regular shower head at the normal height. But it also had a bathtub spigot below the shower head. The spigot stuck out of the wall a 3-4", but was only ~2" above the floor.

WTF? What's it for?

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:56:44 -0800, Zz Yzx

How about running the water until if was of a suitable temperature. Maybe filling some container or something similar? Although, I do have to agree, 2" seems pretty weird.

Reply to
Dave

Dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's just enough space to get your toe under it. It might be so that people don't have to move anything or close a door while the shower warms up. (Could be a couple minutes with the football fields of pipe some builders seem to put between water heater and fixture.)

Can't be to protect the user from burns, because a burnt toe is going to be worse than a burnt hand. You don't have to stand on your hand. (And if your water heater is hot enough to burn you, it's way too hot.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Cleaning only your feet.

Reply to
Leon

Just your toes?

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I live in Houston and typically that normal bath tub spigot/bib was 6~8 inches from the floor of the shower. In those cases it was to wash off your feet.

Reply to
Leon

It is fairly standard all across North America where they think to put one in. I know it to be called a toe-tester, rather than standing in a cold water shower, you run the water until your toes/foot feels it is warm enough to engulf your whole body with water. However, they are normally installed about 10 to 12 inches above the shower bottom to allow a pail to be filled for house cleaning, allowing the spout to be used for double duty. 2 inches is way too low, the installer probably plumbed it in before the shower base was installed and only measured from the sub-floor, but that would not make it high enough for pail filling. They didn't think it out.

Reply to
EXT

Where are you from? I have only seen a few. Certainly not fairly standard in North America. Testing the water temp with your toe/foot is ridiculous, why not simply feel the shower with your hand??? LOL

Reply to
Leon

You don't have much contact with Mohammadens I take it?

Reply to
HeyBub