OT: Disposer repair

I have an Insinkerator model 5-38 garbage disposal in the kitchen and the rubber flap gizmo needs replacing. I bought a new one and all the directions say is "... install in seconds with no tools". So, how do I get the old one out? I tried pulling on it with pliers but no-go.

Anyone know how to do this? Or have a link? Or another group to post this?

OWWR: I occasionally use a wood stick to unjamb the impeller which is probably how the rubber flap gizmo got damaged. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Probably! Insinkerators have an opening for a hex wrench on the bottom, which is the manufacturer-intended method for freeing up a jammed impeller.

Can't help on the splash-guard replacement -- never managed to damage one.

HOWEVER, the installation manual, available at:

Indicates you probably need to _dismount_ the disposer from the sink first. Doesn't need any tools, _except_ for the 'service wrench' that came with the unit. You probably don't have that, since you wouldn't be using the wood block to unjamb (sic) the impeller if you _did_ have it.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

You can use a big screwdriver to pop the flange loose. It may bend your screwdriver, but it'll work.

Reply to
-MIKE-

But the old gasket on the top may be swollen and it won't go back. Unless this is all part of the same piece being replaced. As for tools, you still have to undo the drain pipe if dropping the unit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Absolutely true. Not only that, be prepared to re-putty the drain collar as well when you reset the unit. It might not take any new tools on the actual replacement, but you should allow at least an hour for this project, and plan on having your wrenches, pliers, and plumber's putty ready to go.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

collar as well when you reset the unit. It might not take any new tools on the actual replacement, but you should allow at least an hour for this project, and plan on having your wrenches, pliers, and plumber's putty ready to go.

And as I remember, breaking the unit away the drain collar is the biggest PITA on the planet, when you are under the sink trying to get the job done.

Lew

Robert

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And the center stile in the frame does not help! Next time I'm chopping it out before I start. Putting a pillow on the bottom rail helps.

Reply to
LDosser

Having worked under the sink more that I wold care to admit, 20 years ago when I gutted and our kitchen I made the center style removable. Sooo smart I thought I was being.... The new disposal became old, I had to replace it and the screws holding the center style in place broke before budging. ;~(

I lost weight to make the opening bigger. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I think (from memory) the rubber flaps are spring-loaded against the sidewalls of the downtube, and should just pull up after you compress the spring enough to clear the little bump. Try a bit of vegetable oil and a letter-opener to break any adhesion of the rubber collar against the tube. I find that a whittled end on a chopstick makes a safe probe (won't damage the metal).

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks for all the responses. It turns out the flap gizmo is integrated with the seal between the disposer and the sink so I had to drop the disposer. Naturally, this having anything to do with water, my new part wasn't the right one and there wasn't one to be found locally either. I put the old one back in and trimmed the flaps off with a utility knife. A new slip fit flap gizmo seems to be working fine. I hate plumbing with a passion. Art

Reply to
Artemus