OT dangerous dogs

If he *did* cap the dog, it would make me very happy and I'd congratulate him. But, in terms of aggravation and paperwork, he'd be better off calling animal control and *telling* them he's just about mad enough to shoot a habitual stray. That tends to motivate the dog non-catchers. If that doesn't work, he should call the cops and repeat the threat. They cannot bother you for simply saying you're going to do it. But, they may be personally acquainted with the dog non-cathcer and be able to better motivate him to get off his fat ass and enforce the dog laws.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

True, but some dogs will attack when they see a motion they believe is threatening, even from a distance where a child's activity is none of anyone's business. Same as a cat that'll tear across a yard to chase down a leaf blowing across the lawn because he likes the sound it makes. So, educate the kids, but that only takes care of the dogs which are less reprehensible than the nastiest ones. The spectrum is a short one.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's likely that he'd be yelled at for even having the gun out in a typical tightly arranged neighborhood.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

A question will provide your answer: Can you envision telling the cops a dog was threatening your kids, but it was sitting nice & still so you could take a shot that you knew wouldn't travel into a neighbor's window?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'd estimate that 1 out of 3 times the local paper has a story about a vicious dog attack, the cops shoot the animal right on the spot. The real problem is likely to be the use of a gun in certain surroundings. But, as Miller said, it might come down to a choice of having maimed or dead kids, or being legally safe.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Addressing only the cruelty aspect here: If a mosquito is annoying you and waving it away repeatedly with your hand is ineffective, please describe what you might do next?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Correct. The dog owner should pay for your fence, any price level, at your request, if he insists on letting his vermin run free. And I'm not kidding.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Maybe we should define "threatening". I say if a dog gets within a 10 foot circle around a person and barks in a menacing way, it's a threat. Now can argue about whether nine or eleven feet would be more appropriate.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If the guy's curious about the "legality" of it all, he needs to ask locally, and ask somone who would actually be qualified to give a pertinent answer.

==================

I'm sort of wondering why so many people use an attorney when they buy a house, but behave like they've been lobotomized later when they can't think of who to call for an opinion on local laws. So, they come here. WTF??? The real estate attorney may not know the answer, but they'll definitely be able to refer to an attorney who does.

Asking the cops often just gets you a lecture and "You'd better not".

Reply to
Doug Kanter

But wait....doesn't the bayonet make it an assault weapon? :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Drive-by: I can't help it. Ready?

What's this set of sounds indicative of?

CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP.

BLAM!!!!!!!!!! CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP CLIPPITY CLOP.

page down... . . . . . . . An Amish drive-by.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The fewer guns there are in society, the fewer times they're going to be used. You seem to think that only criminals use guns. How many law abiding citizens have shot someone in a fit of rage or simply when they've lost their temper? How many kids have been shot accidentally when play with their parent's gun? How many accidents have there been?

How many shootings have happened simply because a gun has been available instead of a knife, or baseball bat or even fists. While those three things can definitely kill, they don't come close to inflicting the carnage on the human body that a bullet can.

Is that simple enough an explanation for you?

You seem to think that just because the US permits it's citizens the greatest latitude of human rights anywhere, it's necessary for everyone to go out and partake of all those rights. While owning a gun is one your rights, it doesn't for one second mean that it's a good right. The human species it too self centred and too arrogant to know any better.

Reply to
Upscale

Only if the SKS in question is Chinese. If it's Russian, or Yugoslavian, then it's just fine. I'm sure this makes sense somehow.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Because "Russian" and "Yugoslavian" already contain the letter "A", but "Chinese" does not. Obviously.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"used" doesn't tell the story. It's how they're _being_ used that matters. I "use" my guns all the time, for their intended purposes...recreation, investment, enjoyment, historical study, engineering insights, and so on.

By definition, zero.

More than there should be, of course. How many defensive uses of firearms happen, which don't involve a shot being fired?

Again, you're lumping all gun use into the same category. Not all of us are criminals.

It gives good insight into your limited understanding of the situation, yes, but I'm guessing that's not what you meant.

And you'd rather have me disarmed while the criminals run around knowing they're safe, then? After all, the criminals won't give up their guns, because, _they're criminals_. By definition, they don't follow laws, you see. So, if honest people _do_ disarm, and the dishonest people _don't_ disarm, the only people who are safer, are the criminals.

Not my idea of a good thing.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Of course. Makes as much sense as any other theory I've seen, and more than many. Good insight, Doug!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Clearly contradicted by the statistics that I cited. (BTW, those came from a Canadian gun control group's web site.)

Where did you get that idea? Certainly wasn't from anything I wrote.

All those combined are nowhere nearly as numerous as the criminal misuses of firearms. And I think you know that. If you don't... educate yourself before debating the topic further.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hummm, a retired family member was a senior police officer, not a grad entrant to rank mind, worked his way up from cadet, he until recently always said knife and cosh carriers were more inclined to use their weapons then those with guns, now with the spread of the former eastern bloc gangs it doesn't matter, unless you stay safe (whatever that means) you need the means and will and not a little luck...

Reply to
badger

Que?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

This IS a woodworking group. So, the guy should take a wooden basebal bat out, and beat the crap out of the dog. Now that I think on it, a wooden handled pitch fork would probably work even better - hard to get on a guy out doing yard work, and has to protect his kids from a viscious dog.

Remember, when they take our pitch forks away, only criminals will have pitch forks.

JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Reply to
J T