OT dangerous dogs

As I have said before, a right can be denied is a privilege.

Use a gun incorrectly and see how long your right remains intact.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Voting is a privilege as is gun ownership and having a driving license.

All can be revoked by the government if you don't behave.

If you doubt me, try misbehaving and see what happens.

Get back to us with the results...that is after you get out of prison.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

What I've not read in any reply, but may have missed, is the recommendation for the OP to educate his children clearly and often about how to treat and behave around dogs - be it the neighbor's questionable mutt or the family Peekapoo.

Most dog bites aren't by pit bulls, or any of the other breeds deemed "dangerous", but by the labradors and retrievers (read the dog bite stats a couple months back but don't feel like pulling it up at the moment). The scary dog mauling stories make the news because they're so horrendous and INFREQUENT. What you don't hear about are the every day bites by Gramma Nell's nice little Yorkie, or the family's Golden who was startled by the 2 year old jumping on it while it was sleeping.

Children need to be educated on how to approach and behave in the company of all dogs. They need to be told to never approach a dog without the owner's permission. They need to be cautioned about any specific dogs the parent suspects as being a potential danger to quietly leave the area and find an adult to asses the situation.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Don't call law enforcement after _you_ have broken the law, and don't tell them what contempt you have for the law in question.

Though I hate the term, the shooter sacrifices all "moral authority" when he presumes a danger for which there is no confirmation. He also loses any sympathy he might have had from the authorities when he begins his lecture on how children are more precious than any dog.

Check the heat of the responses so far, think of how little has actually been said, and then remember that the officer that answers your single complaint has heard it all more times than there are responses in this thread.

Reply to
George

You're right, but the discussion soom morphed into what to do if it threatened his kids. And I agree that a threat has to be more than a growl.

But I think we've all covered every angle on this discussion. Including one or two posters that actually responded to the original question :-).

We had a hybrid wolf that roamed where I live - a senior citizen mobile home park. It took the local pound over three years to catch her, even after someone got bit. And when they caught her, they shot her. It would have saved a lot of little old ladies a lot of fear, and the taxpayers a lot of money, if the park owner had just shot her in the beginning as he threatened to do.

BTW, there was a wolf sanctuary nearby that had offered to take the animal, a much better solution. But the pound people were so frustrated by their failure that they didn't want to take the chance that she would escape and return.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I dunno' about him, George, but I'm in favor of it. But how do we do it in a fair manner?

And can we test the politicians too?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

...and that's leaving out the part where you

1) Notice the dog 2) Run inside to get yer gun 3) Find the key (you keep your guns locked up, right?) 4) Unlock the case 5) Find the bullets 6) Load the gun 7) Run back outside 8) Aim 9) Kaboom

...with an optional step 10 of shouting 'Yee Haw!'.

I think the OP was asking valid questions (even if it was to a COMPLETELY inappropriate newsgroup). If you (not you specifically, Vic) read between the lines, I kinda think the OP was asking about other ways that this might be handled.

-John in NH

Reply to
John Girouard

Cute semantic distinction, but I don't believe it is correct. What exactly do you think falls in the category of "rights" as you define the word? Some counter examples for you to ponder (at least making a distinction between how you want the word to be defined and how others use it) is the "certain inalienable rights" of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Since we routinely deny felons of their liberty and pursuit of happiness, and occasionally of their lives, I guess our forefathers should have said "certain privileges" to meet your semantic benchmark?

Reply to
alexy

REad more carefully. He didn't say that. He said he many times questioned the wisdom of a guy with a gun. Hard to disagree with that! I also many times question the wisdom of a guy with a keyboard!

I think you are right here, although I think lots of people get their panties in a wad about the semantics when there is no underlying disagreement on the substance.

Reply to
alexy

Never seen that. Wow. If that's true, they're even scarier than I'd imagined.

Reply to
George Max

Exactly Alex....there are very few "true" rights.

Gun ownership is not one of them.

Nor is owning a dog.

The saying "Abuse it and lose it" applies to many areas in life...driving a car, owning a dog, owning a gun....

While I am very much for RESPONSIBLE gun ownership, when I hear of someone's first impulse is to reach for their gun I seriously question that person's ability to remain calm in a high stress situation such as dog attack.

As society administers a driving test before issuing a driver's license, I think it would be a great idea to administer similar testing prior to allowing a gun purchase....or when buying a dog.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Yep, I seen it. A friend that lives in a somewhat rural area raises them and regularly "feeds" them tires to play with. They only last a week or so before they are just shredded or disappear completely! How a dog can eat a tire and not die is beyond me. Its also mystifies me why anyone would want a dog like that anyway.

Dave

Teamcasa

Excellent point about the education aspect of this subject.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Yes, pit bulls in particular are very dangerous if they decide to attack.

Irresponsible ownership of this animal should be and is being dealt with in terms of imprisonment, heavy fines and putting the animals in question down.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Let me 'splain it this way. Assuming you live inside of town and discharged a firearm in my neighborhood you would have to worry about me. I damned well would call the police.

No I am not a bleeding heart, anti-gun liberal. I have two handguns, four shotguns and a couple of rifles in a safe in the next room. I am also a bow-hunter. Firing a weapon inside of town is not only dangerous, it leads to the kind of incidents that escalate into tragedy. One of my old school mates was treated to a new hip at age 14 because of a poorly aimed shot and a ricochet.

More food for thought. My wife just finished jury duty. It involved a gentleman who perceived he was being harrased by three neighborhood boys (ages 12 - 15) who never even entered his yard (a 2-acre lot). He walked out on his porch, laid a handgun on the rail and delivered a verbal threat. He was convicted of assualt - one count for each of three boys. Sentencing hearing is pending and he can receive 8 or more months for each count. With the violent nature of our society, gun use is under increasing scrutiny. I would like to keep mine.

Think! RonB

Reply to
RonB

From an SKS?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Don't you own a shotgun?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

you should reread the orig>We had some high profile dog incidents in the neighboring county. I

it didn't happen yet, it was just growling and not attacking, and

"he wants to know the legalities"

he doesn't state that he wants to know what is ethically right, but what is his legal rights. the only way he can do that is ask the police/da in his locality. there are few of us here in that same area, if any, so asking on usenet to strangers located around the world is ridiculous.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Felons have no rights.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ah, but if it's Chinese, then that makes it unimportable. The bayonet is just fine on a Russian or Yugo SKS,but on the Chinese ones it's evil.

Good to know that we're protected from all those drive-by bayonetings we keep hearing about.

Reply to
Dave Hinz