OT dangerous dogs

Actually owning a gun is a PRIVILEDGE.

If it were a RIGHT, felons and children would be allowed to own them.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Not so. Felons usually lose their rights to vote and children do not have a right to vote.

Reply to
Charlie Self

My point exactly....a priviledge can be taken from you..a right cannot.

Guns are regulated as to who can have them....just like whether or not you are allowed to drive a car.

Both priviledges come with responsibilites. To drive a car you require insurance. To shoot a gun requires the shooter to be responsible from a financial and civil standpoint. If you doubt this, check into what happens when you use either product incorrectly and someone is hurt or killed.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

ROTFL So tell me, are you Wandas husband? How long until this thread is crossposted AUK? Need to change the name of this group to rec.troutpond. completly clueless

Reply to
rotfl

Paul, Be sure that the dogs are a real threat before you shoot them. I own german shepherds and they are docile pets.. But some people have a bad image of GSD's and I believe a gun happy parent could be capable of shooting them if they ever got out of the yard. Be a good neighbor and try to locate the owners. Let them know that their dogs are showing agression.

Just remember that these things can escalate out of control. The owner of these dogs might be similarly armed.

Reply to
MrAnderson

In Texas they shoot the neighbor if he growls at them.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Why would he bring in UPS?

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Nah. He meant fascists.

Reply to
LRod

He said he's got an SKS; most models come with a big pointy thing that folds back under the barrel; when unfurled, the rifle becomes a pointy stick.

Reply to
Kevin Craig

For shooting a dog? Not on *my* planet.

You "question the wisdom" of using a gun to defend one's kids from a dangerous dog? Wow. Hope you don't have any. Kids or guns. Either one.

Bzzzzt! Thanks for playing. Owning a gun is a *right*, not a privilege.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Guess again, bucko. "... the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged." [my emphasis]

Wrong again. You might as well claim that voting is a privilege, because if it were a right, felons and children would be allowed to vote.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Wrong yet again...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hmmm, ".... The RIGHT of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". vs. "... The privilege of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

Now, to your second point, with rights do come responsibilities. However, it seems that most of the responsibilities for those who make use of the second amendment are kept to a much higher standard than the responsibilities of those who exercise their first amendment rights.

Mark & Juanita

Sorry charlie, but the discussion was about what to do if the dog did threaten the kids.

And I'm not a dog hater, I still miss our last one that died of cancer several years ago. But kids come before dogs.

And in that situation, I'd rather "blow away" the idiot that let his dog run free (if urban) but that would not be an immediate solution :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

If it were a right, felons and children would be allowed to vote.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Of course, that could be a problem: he might just give you that bullet. Dog owners can be pretty sentimental about their dogs.

IMO, if you let it go at all (i.e., the situation didn't demand that you rush to get your gun the very first incident), then maybe the cooler thing to do is talk to the owner and let him know how you feel, before you kill his pet.

I personally would fault no one for killing anything, man or beast, who threatened his small children. But if you take a pass, then why not use that moratorium to resolve the situation peacefully? And if the neighbor won't cooperate, by all means include the police in the dialogue: they're often helpful that way, and you've covered your legal bases in doing so.

After all, even if you could get rid of the dog with a bullet, why would you want to live with a new and much more dangerous threat not only to your kids but to you and anyone else on your property: a man whose loved one has been killed by you and is bent on revenge?

Don't go there if you can help it.

Signed, Achilles

Reply to
hylourgos

It is a right, read the constitution.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 8:39pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (Kevin=A0Craig) doth elucidate: He said he's got an SKS; most models come with a big pointy thing that folds back under the barrel; when unfurled, the rifle becomes a pointy stick.

Crap, now even pointy sticks have gotten technical.

JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Reply to
J T

A right that can and is taken away is a priviledge.

As for reading the Constitution, try reading the so called Patriot Act first.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools