OT: Cut case hardened steel shaft

How difficult would is it to cut case hardened steel shaft?

Shaft manufacturer states that the hardness depth is only 0.024".

Could this be done with a hacksaw?

Thanks.

Reply to
brian

Easiest would be a cutting wheel on a right-angle grinder. I tried cutting the shaft of a shock absorber with a hacksaw and the saw just slid across it. My HF grinder cut it in a snap.

Reply to
G. Ross

snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote in news:375f24e3-2f83-4624-b24f-676403b1eae5 @googlegroups.com:

Easy, with the right tools.

With the right kind of blade, yes. No ordinary hacksaw blade will do any more than polish the surface (while losing all of its teeth), but one of these will go through a Grade 8 bolt:

's tungsten carbide grit, bonded to a steel wire. You can also buy tungsten carbide grit blades for reciprocating saws.

Reply to
Doug Miller

than polish

a Grade 8 bolt:

carbide grit

Cool. Thanks Doug.

Reply to
brian

Like G Ross said HF grinder. I bought one for 9.99 from HF. Excellent buy. $10 for a pack of cutoffs, grinding wheels and sanding wheels (another excellent buy).

I didn't want to spend a lot because I didn't think I would use it all that much. WRONG... I use it a lot.

I took the gear box apart and repacked.. This will now last a long time, and if not, I'll get another.. they are always on sale.

You can cut Hardened steel with the cut offs. Don't waste your time on the hacksaw blade, once you have this you'll wonder why you didn't get one earlier.

Reply to
tiredofspam

I bought a die grinder years ago and have always used these in it for cutting hardened steel.

'Bother,' said Pooh, as he saw the

-- There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Reply to
Larry Jaques