OT: Congress and the unemployed

I was just listening to 101.5 NJ.. it's a right wing talk station in NJ. They were talking about how kids today don't want to work, and how the last few years all the help at the boardwalks were Russian or slavic..

The consensus was that American kids don't want to work.. which might be true, but then some guy calls in and explains, that his kid tried getting a job and couldn't last year. He found out that congress has made it really easy for employers to hire foreigners by giving them all these breaks on SS, unemployment and other taxes. So there is no incentive to hire American, he talked to a few owners on the boardwalk and all said it made no sense to hire an American kid. They can get the same or better for less, with less overhead...

So it's not only H1b and IT...

You have to wonder who congress is working for? The American people, or the American business owner? Does the business owner have the interests of the people?

Reply to
woodchucker

It seems to me that lately obama has been doing as he pleases regardless of whether it is approved or voted down in Congress. Consider what he currently doing with Cap and Trade even though Congress has repeatedly voted this down.

Look at the laws obama has change with regard to obamacare, when he found it did not work. obamacare has placed new restriction on employers that make it difficult for them and their employees.

So find out the facts before you blame Congress.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Tax laws are passed by congress. Obama can not single handedly change tax laws. As far as I know.

Let's face it.. all the idiots in Washington are working for themselves, not us.

Reply to
woodchucker

Well, USSC ruled that obamacare is a tax and bammy has changed the requirements several times without approval from congress. So apparently he is immune from the Constitution But I would agree that *most* in DC aren't working for US

Reply to
ChairMan

Whatever your politics, the good news is that we have the ability to make the politicians unemployed. I'd suggest that Mark Twain's insight applies today more than ever:

?Politicians are like diapers they both need changing regularly and for the same reason.?

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

He found out that congress has made it really easy for employers to hire foreigners by giving them all these breaks on SS, unemployment and other taxes. So there is no incentive to hire American, he talked to a few owners on the boardwalk and all said it made no sense to hire an American kid.

Where is this information at?

I wonder if the companies themselves hire immigrants so they can keep the pay scale low? I just talked to a fellow working at an Auto Parts Store...O'Reilly..... Anyway, he has been there 5 years, and they do not want to give him 40 hrs per week so they can do away with medical, etc.....benefits.....So, they give him 30 hrs.....and hire more people at similar hours.....and with no benefits.... Congress and or Obama had nothing to do with this..... I would look at the horses mouth first.....

Also there are no real "high pay> I was just listening to 101.5 NJ.. it's a right wing talk station in NJ.

Whatever your politics, the good news is that we have the ability to make the politicians unemployed. I'd suggest that Mark Twain's insight applies today more than ever:

?Politicians are like diapers they both need changing regularly and for the same reason.?

Reply to
jloomis

John, my first information came from a recruiter who told me I cost him

16% per pay while an H1b costs him 4%.

This guy that called in was merely telling what he had found out about his sons attempt, and his talking to business owners on the boardwalk.

I am not sure how to research it.

Reply to
woodchucker

Neil Ward

There are some who will never approve of *anything* Obama does. And I get a stench in my nostrils every time I see Cheney on TV. The older I get the more I realize they're *all* a bunch of pigs feeding at a trough and our only function is to fill the trough.

Jefferson was right. So was Will Rogers (IIRC) when he said "If voting made a difference it would be outlawed."

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Actually, the average employee wage at Costco is $21 per hour, not including overtime.

Baxter

Cynicism never helped anyone, either.

Reply to
krw

Well something to remember, you are listening to talk radio.

Regardless of what your political persuasion is any mentioned by the media is mostly for your entertainment and not necessarily the truth or some thing that will affect you. If they were not rattling your cage they would not be on the air.

Most advice given by the media is worth what you pay for it and why many of these talk shows start with a disclaimer of not supporting any thing being said. The host of the show will tell you anything to get you to tune in.

Reply to
Leon

This doesn't answer the question of what taxes and fees an employer does not have to pay. For me I compete against the H1b, for the shore worker, that's not an H1b visa... that has to be another visa. These are not technical jobs.

Reply to
woodchucker

No offence but, bullshit! I think you need to do what Queen Nancy stated so eloquently about ObamaKare -- read it. Because of Obama's signature law many workers are getting their hours reduced to 30 hours or less because employers can no longer afford what the Affordable Care Act made unaffordable. How ironic.

I think you should look at the other end.

For this you can thank Obama again. His anti-business policies have made plotting long term business strategies virtually impossible and the norm for businesses is to hold out for the next two and a half painful years. Hopefully, the outlook will improve.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

It's not cynicism - it's knowledge gained over time :-).

Try comparing all of our last few presidents campaign promises to what they actually did when in office. Or senators, or ...

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Actually, they did/do. For one thing, people under 30 hours are exempt from obamacare via employer. _______________________

That depends. OP was talling about a "kid". To me, that means someone just out of or still in high school. Someone who has little to no experience, little or no job skills. I don't know about you but back when I was in HS

1948-1951 the job market for such was very limited.

And there were no McDonalds, BurgerKings, etc. No plethora of businesses needing employees that were just warm bodies.

Reply to
dadiOH

?If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.?

-Mark Twain, Vice-president of the Anti-imperialist League from 1901 until his death in 1910.

Reply to
Casper

Absolutely!

Reply to
Richard

When you state it as absolutes, it's cynicism. Absolutes are always wrong. ;-)

Reply to
krw