OT Property taxes

Just got a letter from the city of Milwaukee and I see that the property taxes on my house are going up yet again. Looks like about 5%.

The Gov. Walker certainly did not keep his campaign promise of lower taxes...the increase is no better/ no worse than under Democratic governors. Were the increase going to help maintain the educational systems within the state I could deal with it.

The news is telling me that funding is being /cut/ for education and a BILLION dollar sports arena is in the works.

Nothing against sports of course, but the sports arena is to replace one that was built in 1988 and had a projected life span of 50 years.

Reply to
philo

In our state the State government and the governor have nothing to do with property taxes. The rate is set by the town and all money goes tot he town.

Since your letter is from the City of Milwaukee, shouldn't your bitch be with the mayor?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Of course, the town may actually have to raise the rate to cover a reduction in other monies granted to the town/township/county by the state and/or feds.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

According to

his City tax bill pays for Milwaukee's school system, no money goes to the State ( except some Forestry fund)

Reply to
Retired

Yes, without knowing what changed, it's impossible to identify whether the source is local, state, and maybe even feds. It also depends what those taxes are already. Some places, with low taxes, a 5% increase wouldn't be as bad in the overall picture as it would someplace else, that relies on high property taxes.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes....It's just that the governor made a promise he had no business making in the first place, that is one of the reasons he got into office.

Reply to
philo

Yep

and it we had a good school system I'd be all for it... except the school system is being gutted.

Reply to
philo

From a recent Wisconsin newspaper:

Highlights of Walker's state budget proposal

TAXES: Property taxes on the median-valued $151,000 home would remain about the same, dropping $5 this year and $5 next year, at a cost of $280 millio n. There are no changes to sales or income taxes.

And from what he campaigned on over a year ago:

Scott Walker promises property tax cut, lower income tax withholding

Madison -- The state is projected to take in hundreds of millions of dollar s more than expected in tax collections through June 2015, prompting Gov. S cott Walker to propose cutting taxes for the third time in less than a year .

Walker said his plan -- to be spelled out Jan. 22 in his "state of the stat e" address -- will include a property tax cut and a decrease in how much is withheld in income taxes from workers' pay throughout the year. The withho lding changes would mean that Wisconsin residents would see more money in e ach paycheck upfront rather than in their spring income tax refunds."

So, I don't know what happened in the year just ended, but it looks like what Walker is submitting as a proposed budget actually has a tax decrease over the next two years. And note that the headline from a year ago that says "Scott Walker promises .." is the newspaper headline. In the article, I don't see Walker saying he promises it, only that he proposes doing it. He isn't a dictator and still has the legislature to deal with, no? I'd actually be surprised where Walker outright promised a property tax decrease, but if you can show us, I'd be happy to look at it.

Reply to
trader_4

I don't recall seeing his promise in writing, just hearing it from all those who voted for him.

Reply to
philo

+1
Reply to
ChairMan

Mine are going up over 10% in a state under complete Democrat control, DE.

Not the governors fault but the local school district that increased taxes, but us seniors in DE get a $500 deduction that the Dem governor wants to do away with.

Reply to
Frank

Hearsay will not hold up in court. Much like those who voted for obammy thinking he was going to pay all their bills. My understanding was that Walker would no longer collect dues for the teachers unions, something the government shouldn't be doing, and allowing the teachers to pay it themselves, which they(most) declined to do. So how is that gutting the education system?

Reply to
ChairMan

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 2:55:27 PM UTC-4, philo wrote: .

It's interesting that we just went from this:

"Yes....It's just that the governor made a promise he had no business making in the first place, that is one of the reasons he got into office.

To this:

" I don't recall seeing his promise in writing, just hearing it from all those who voted for him."

I wouldn't say he even had to make a promise to cut taxes in writing, verbally would be enough. It's just that I doubt he would have actually made such an absolute promise, as opposed to saying that he would "be in favor of, propose, submit a plan to cut taxes, etc". A governor can only do so much.

Reply to
trader_4

Nothing to do with a Gov. but we all know politicians make promises they cannot keep.

Reply to
philo

Here is Walker's promise

philo

The point here is you're accusing him of breaking a promise, while from what I can see, he never make the absolute promise to decrease property taxes to begin with and for the next two years, the budgets he's submitted do provide for a tax decrease.

Reply to
trader_4

"MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Gov. Scott Walker says he's working to further reduce property taxes and will unveil details of a major proposal in his budget."

He said he's "working to further reduce property taxes". He didn't "promise" that he would be successful, which is what you've implied. At the same time, the budget he just submitted calls for property tax reductions in the next two years. I'd say he's met the campaign promise.

Reply to
trader_4

I wasn't aware of this. Do you have a citation to the evidence that there were any voters who thought the president was going to pay all their bills?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

In fairness, most real estate taxes are local government issues, not state issues.

Reply to
gfretwell

Just longing for the good old days when my tax bill was small enough to pay all at once.

Reply to
philo