OT Property taxes

He was pretty bad and she never made that mistake again.

Reply to
philo

There is not much I agree with from any of the politicians.

I do not usually look at what any of them say...I just look at the facts on the spread sheet and see how my investments are doing.

They sucked canal water under Bush and under Obama they are better than ever. That's the cold facts and I don't look at their words.

Reply to
philo

Nice dance around the question. So all you care about is your investments? What exactly did obama do to make them better? You do realize that the Dems had control, when things crashed, right? Do you not care about the constitution, your liberties, etc? And would you vote for Billary? Come on, these are easy questions. Don't just move the goal posts, You seem to find lots of fault with the Repubs, what faults do the Dems have? Do you not have a problem that obama can come and take your investments and bank accounts? Do you agree with Common Core?

Reply to
ChairMan

LOL, what makes you think that any of the stuff that the Tea-Baggers blame Obama for is true? None of the scandals that they manufactured gained any traction either.

Reply to
sms

The problem is that most people really don't understand that. I've heard it so many times, "the properties are being reassessed so my taxes will go up" People expect it so the politicians accommodate them.

In 49 years of home ownership, taxes have never gone down, but one year they did not change.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No. First I care about the world not blowing up.

Next I care about the economy. In a good economy not too many people have much to complain about.

I have no frickin' idea what Obama did...like I said...I just look at the numbers. During the Bush administration my net worth dropped by 40% and in the 45 years I was in the work force...under the Bush was the only time I ever had to go on a work furlough. Not even under Carter did that happen.

Since Obama has been president my new worth has never been better.

I do not really have much of a preference Democrat vs Republican. In my life time...With the 20/20 vision of hindsight:

Trueman had the guts to drop the bomb. Said :The buck stops here.

Eisenhower... was a great president. Possibly because all he did was golf.

Kennedy is one of the most worshiped presidents...but the worst there was. Came very close to causing total annihilation. Had Bay of Pigs been successful , USSR would not have put the missiles in Cuba.

Johnson. Identical to Goldwater as far as Viet Nam. Only difference is Goldwater told the truth , Johnson lied.

Nixon was not as bad as he seemed. He should simply have thrown someone under the bus for Watergate and burned all the tapes.

Ford. A decent enough place holder. Finally closed up shop in Viet Nam.

Carter. He meant well but was a total f****it. Highest inflation I've even seen. Possibly responsible for setting up the road to peace between Egypt and Israel.

Reagan. A minor criminal for selling arms to terrorists. Borrowed a lot of money and created debt.

GHW Bush. Not bad. Should have finished up Iraq when he had the chance and ruled the area with an iron fist. Biggest mistake was "read my lips, no new taxes" EVERYONE knew he lied.

Clinton. Slime ball but the economy was excellent and nothing really went bad. Somehow he either made it work or was just plain lucky.

GW Bush another f****it worse than Carter.

Obama. He's got it made. All he had to do was not be as bad as Bush. Not too difficult.

So as you can see from my assesment above I don't really have any favorite party.

Reply to
philo

Amazingly my taxes actually have gone down after they had been unrealistically raised. It happened well before Walker came into office though.

Reply to
philo

I started my business during the Reagan years. I'd cheerfully go back. Much better than the Obama depression we're suffering. I also liked the strong military and the respect from other nations.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Which would make you a Reagan supporter, on both counts. Faced down the Evil Empire, strengthened the military.

And with lower taxes, the economy soared. I started my business during the Reagan years, and I'd sure love to go back. Better than the Obama depression, by far.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Philo is a curious fellow. He claims he's not a dyed in the wool Democrat, yet he claims Reagan was "pretty bad". I'd like to know exactly what was so bad? Like you say, we went from stagflation to a booming economy, one that was creating 400K good paying, real jobs a month. One month we created 1.2 mil, that's about what we're creating now in an entire year, if we're lucky. Here's my list of major achievements during the Reagan years:

From stagflation to the longest peace time expansion in history

300K - 400K a month job creation

Unemployment cut in half

Inflation went from double digits, to cut in half

Long term interest rates, mortgage rates, cut in half

Short term interest rates, business borrowing rates, cut more than half

America's standing/respect in the world restored

America's military might restored and respected again

Soviet Union defeated and collapsing, without ever firing a shot

Largest nuclear arms deal in history, elimination of an entire class of nukes, medium range missles, that substantially reduced the nuclear arsenals. (And it was done on Reagan's terms, not Russia's)

So, now we wait for our fair minded Democrat friend to explain what exactly was so bad......

Reply to
trader_4

Sure!

We got ObamaCare now so the W-2 wage slaves get to pay for the "free" ObamaCare for all the fat/lazy/obese Democrats.

Reply to
Senator Pocketstuffer

Oliver Douglas

In plain language he was "fair".

Reply to
philo

During the Bush housing bust, those that experienced a drastic reduction in home value over what they paid, did get property tax reductions if they applied for a re-assessment. I know my sister-in-law who purchased a duplex which fell in value by $200K got a reduction. But now the "value" is up by about $600K so it is reassessed again and the 2% increase limit (California prop 13) applies from the original assessed value, not from the reduced assessed value.

The property tax rate in California is actually pretty low in percentage terms, but the property values are so ridiculously high that the dollar amounts are very high. A 1786 sq ft, 3/2, 1960's, tract home, that was about $20K new, sold on my street in 2013 for $1.395 million and will have property taxes of over $17,500 per year. It needed about $100K in renovation before the owners could move in and that was better than the sellers renovating it and raising the price because at least the renovations did not trigger a reassessment. Today it would sell for about $1.75 million.

Reply to
sms

Ross perot warned you idiots but you voted for those other two clowns.

Reply to
Paul

Yes, you're right, under Reagan the misery index was cut in half. Which was reflected in what I posted. I did forget to add cutting taxes to the list. Funny, Philo is complaining about taxes, yet he didn't like Reagan, who cut taxes for most Americans. I guess you just can't please some folks.

Reply to
trader_4

Isn't there some U6 or some similar data about the Obama Depression? I mean, with millions more out of work people, you tell me the misery index went down? I find that dificult to believe.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Don't worry. Only 30 million unemployed and quit looking for work. Lets see. 30 mil out of 300 mil..... that's about ten percent, if I figure? (article edited for length) .

by Jim Clifton

Share on LinkedIn Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Print

Here's something that many Americans don't know: The official unemployment rate, as reported by the U.S. Department of Labor, is extremely mis- leading.

White House and Wall Street about how unemployment is "down" to 5.6%. White House wants to score political points and Wall Street would like you to stay in the market.

None of them will tell you this: If you ... given up on finding a job the Department of Labor doesn't count you as unemployed. That's right. you are not counted in the figure we see in the news -- currently

5.6%. Right now, as many as 30 million Americans are either out of work or severely underemployed.

Say you're an out-of-work engineer or healthcare worker: If you perform a minimum of one hour of work in a week and are paid at least $20 -- maybe someone pays you to mow their lawn -- you're not officially counted as unemployed.

If you are working 10 hours part time because it is all you can find -- in other words, you are severely underemployed -- the government doesn't count you in the 5.6%.

The official unemployment rate, amounts to a Big Lie.

A good job is an individual's primary identity, their very self-worth, their dignity -- it establishes the relationship they have with their friends, community and country. When we fail to deliver a good job that fits a citizen's talents, training and experience, we are failing the great American dream.

Right now, the US is delivering at a staggeringly low rate of 44%, which is the number of full-time jobs as a percent of the adult population. We need that to be 50% and a bare minimum of 10 million new, good jobs to replenish America's middle class.

Jim Clifton is Chairman and CEO at Gallup.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd have said "bold liar". The economy, the nation's defense, the employment and economic .... sadly failing in the Obama Depression.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No.

Walker said he's work to cut taxes but he did not cut taxes

Nothing to do with the dead pres.

Reply to
philo