OT: Ceiling lamp install

Look up the *dictionary* definition of "electrocution". There's nothing to be impressed about.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Actually he was pointing the gun directly at the dead persons chest! There was nothing general about that. And while using "pointing in a general direction" might be an excuse, it is a horrible excuse. It borders on stupidity.

That is not American culture. Responsible fire arms owners do not do that. It's those idiots that give gun owners a bad reputation.

Assured total BS!! If you are familiar with fire arms you do not take anyone's word that it is safe.

And obsequiously taking another persons life and using the excuse, I was told it was safe, it total BS!

Reply to
Leon

No he is not solely responsible but 95%. He and every one that left their finger prints on the gun and ammunition if they are going by their own made up inept set of rules bypassing common basic fire are handling and safety.

Reply to
Leon

Blanks and live rounds can/are of the same caliber.

And past that it is not uncommon to use a different caliber bullet. .38 rounds can be discharged in a .357 caliber gun.

Reply to
Leon

Would it have been OK if he pointed the gun at the ceiling lamp during install? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you do not know how to safely handle a gun you have absolutely NO BUSINESS touching it. Thoughts and ideas like you mentioned is what gives fire arms a bed reputation.

You might as well have an actor, playing a role as the one pressing a real nuke button, and using a real nuke. Lives are at stake.

The finger that pulls the trigger is the guilty finger.

I would not trust the armorer either. Obviously the armorer was clueless.

Go to fire arm training before going to the set if you are not familiar with fire arms.

Well I understate your sentiment, but that action would be just just as stupid. The object is to not harm any one.

Yes and mostly at fault because he pointed the gun a person AND when he did not insure that the gun was safe. YOU DO NOT leave this responsibility to anyone but yourself.

In a more sinister scenario the one pulling the trigger could easily load the gun with a live round after being handed the gun and blame the armorer.

Simple, the armorer did not remove all live rounds before reloading with blanks.

Good question considering that most actors never graduated from high school.

Not saying that the lack of a formal education is the root cause but actors are masters of deception. They would not be good actors if they were not good deceivers.

While actors appear to be smart, they are just acting.

Why anyone would take the advice of an under educated actor is beyond me.

Blanks have no projectile, they only discharge the powder.

Certainly I

I hear you but even a fake look alike gun is not safe. For many more reasons than mentioned in this thread people are killed because they were handling realistic fake guns. Think a police officer having a realistic fake gun being point at him in an unknown situation.

You handle a fake fire arm exactly like a real loaded fire arm or you might get shot by the person that does not know it is fake.

Reply to
Leon

No, the person installing the lamp might receive a bullet. You did say "during" ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Look it up yourself. Electrocution is defined as "_death_ by electrical shock."

Reply to
Beeper

To drag out being anal a further step.

Anal ON.

Electrocution is a method of killing.

Electrocuted, the original word used by DerbyDad, does not "necessarily" mean death.

Electrocuted is the word that he used that prompted your response,

Wow! You were electrocuted and you are still animated enough to tell the story! I'm impressed. [very big ;-)]

I know many people, including myself, and probably thousands of electricians that have been electrocuted.

Anal mode off.

Reply to
Leon

One thing I learn about getting shocked, you do more damage to your hand by pulling it back through the chassis than the electrical shock causes.

Reply to
Markem618

In my case, everything was done from the top of the open chassis, so there was no pull through.

The scars on my left thumb were from the burns where the live plug made contact. One burn was pretty deep and my thumb was wrapped in bandages for a few days.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Electrocuted" is simply past tense for "electrocute."

... redirects to "electrocute."

Perhaps this string of characters in my original reply is confusing:

"[very big ;-)]"

I was simply poking fun, but now at least two readers don't find the humor. Perhaps I am not welcome in their sandbox. Talk about being anal.

Reply to
Beeper

I know! ;~) But we woodworkers can get testy. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Already did. Many times.

Oxford, Merriam-Webster, freedictionary.com, Wikipedia and others include the word "injury" when defining electrocution.

To be more precise...

from:

**** Begin Included Text ****

Baha Al-Shaikh FCARCSI, FRCA, Simon Stacey FRCA, in Essentials of Anaesthetic Equipment (Fourth Edition), 2013

The effects of electrocution As a general guide to the effects of electrocution, the following might occur:

  1. 1 mA: tingling pain.
  2. 5 mA: pain.
  3. 15 mA: tonic muscle contraction and pain.
  4. 50 mA: tonic contraction of respiratory muscles and respiratory arrest.
  5. 75?100 mA: ventricular fibrillation.
  6. 1000 mA: extensive burns and charring.
**** End Included Text ****

I experienced tonic muscle contraction and pain with some tissue burning and perhaps some ventricular fibrillation. The infirmary kept me overnight based on heart rate abnormalities recorded soon after the incident. The medical report and after-incident report both included the word "electrocution".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Your string of characters was not confusing. It was your implication that I was not electrocuted that I was responding to. Trust me, it's an implication that I heard many times over the years.

There is no reason for you to be impressed by my subsequent animation.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Someone needs a nap.

Reply to
Beeper

Correction:

The medical report and after-incident report both included the word "electrocuted".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Everyone is welcome in our sandbox, but that doesn't mean that we don't point out errors and incorrect assumptions.

Hang around. This won't be last of this sort of thing. We all get corrected occasionally.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Bingo... My neighbors house burned a few weeks ago... the whole attic is gutted, and the house is a loss... I came home from work to see smoke coming out of the windows of the attic. Another neighbor and I broke into the house to get their dog out (no one home).

He was renting... his "slum lord" had an "electrician" come in and wire several GFI's into the attic... he told me that sometimes after that, when the oven came on, lights would go out, etc. Open neutral? Very sad... and fortunate that their children weren't home.

The house is solid on the first and second floors, aside from water damage, and could be gutted and easily saved with a new roof, but it's not worth the trouble to the landlord. I don't have the time/money to save it. I told him to leave the detached 2 car garage, level the house, and I'll buy the lot/garage.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Someone did that to me once. Rather than risk your life, take an insulated screw driver, and touch to both leads. A quick spark if the breaker is on, and you'll be sure it's now off -- no guessing.

Reply to
Michael Trew