OT: Ceiling lamp install

No, when handed a firearm *you* check to make sure it's safe. You have it, you own it. No trusting anyone.

There is no reason that can't be done but there is still a chance that a live round will be placed in the gun. Make the gun a non-standard caliber so standard ammunition won't fit but will still allow blanks (though blanks aren't totally safe either). The barrel doesn't have to be solid either. Do the same, make it a different size.

Oh, and ban all firearms and ammunition from the set.

FWIU, people had already walked off the set because of safety concerns.

That's what they say about the NFPA and NEC.

Reply to
krw

Yikes! It sounds like several should be charged with manslaughter.

It's the armorer's job. He "said" the gun was cold. Baldwin believed him. There's enough guilt to fill several courtrooms.

Absolutely. Aim to shoot. Shoot to kill. If you don't intend to kill, leave the gun where it is.

Reply to
krw

How many people (not in the trades) who aren't woodworkers do home repairs? I'll bet it's not many.

Remembering resistors color codes is easy. I wouldn't have remembered them if not for...

0 = Black Bad 1 = Brown Boys 2 = Red Rape 3 = Orange Our 4 = Yellow Young 5 = Green Girls 6 = Blue But 7 = Violet Violet 8 = Gray Gives 9 = White Willingly 5% Gold Get 10% Silver Some 20% None Now There is also a red tolerance band (2%) but it was fairly rare.

Still measured in ohms (what else) but the color code is almost gone. I haven't seen a leaded carbon resistor in probably 30 years, and more than forty since I've used one. Surface mount resistors rarely have any markings at all, though some zero-ohm resistors have a '0' stenciled on the top.

Reply to
krw

I would disagree with Leon's number one rule, but it is second in my mind. Number one rule if you pick up a firearm assume it is loaded until you verify it is not.

I believe the armorer is female, but the reports seem to point to her being lax when it comes to firearms safety.

Reply to
Markem618

What is your definition of both key words? "Woodworkers" and "repairs".

Within my circle of acquaintances (family, friends, coworkers) I'm probably the only true "woodworker" of the bunch. i.e. I have a shop and tools mainly oriented around woodworking. Table saw, band saw, planer, CMS, dust collection, etc. I've built bookcases, beds, decks, cabinets, etc.

However, we all do home repair, remodeling, etc. One friend did a phenomenal job landscaping and hardscaping around his pool, tiling his bathroom, putting in vinyl flooring throughout his house, installing one of those rustic wood plank accent walls, etc. Another completely gutted/renovated his master bathroom, expanding it by incorporating a closet. That's just a couple of examples.

But, they've never built a bookcase, bed, cabinet, cutting board, etc. None of the things a typical woodworker might build.

I have no reason to believe that my circle of friends is any different from the general public. I suspect it's the exact opposite of what you suspect: Amongst the millions of people who do their own home repairs, I'll bet the number of true woodworkers is is relatively small.

Unfortunately, I learned the same offensive technique for remembering the colors. Yes, I learned it in the service, but I blame the man who taught me, not the service itself. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a 0, 1 who 2'd, 3, 4, 5.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Easily. Obviously, the gun is a real, functional firearm.

Reply to
Beeper

Tagged lockout clip on the breaker handle is your friend - installed by yourself - not your helper!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I disagree that there is any enumeration of the four basic firearm safety rules. Provided that 3 of 4 rules are followed, there should be no reason for a negligent discharge. If only one rule is broken. all still should be safe.

I contend that the sex of the armorer is irrelevant.

Reply to
Beeper

As a teenager (and younger) back in the sixties I did a lot of playing around with electricity and electronics - rebuilding radios, building record players, etc. I had a power transformer out of aVERY old television - about a foot long - with voltage outputs from 1.5v to

10kv One fay I went for one of the low voltage windings and found the high voltage instead. My "shop" or "lab" was in the basement - about 5 feet of headroom - mabee 5'8" between the joists. I straightedned up REAL quick, hitting the point of one of the flooring nails holding down the underlay of the livingroom floor above me and popped the head of the nail up through the linoleum!!! \ Gave me a "healthy respect" for high voltage AC power
Reply to
Clare Snyder

He was pointing the gun in the general firection of the camera, apparently - in hindsight should have used "special effects" in post production.

The "american gun culture" where letting off steam on lunch break by popping a few caps - on a movie set yet -- using "prop guns". Tell me what world you live in where that is "smart" or even "acceptable".

Alec was "assured" it was a "cold gun" by those who were in charge of making sure it was. Not his fault - but I still wouldn't want to be him - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Try going into a guns store an point a gun at someone, even after the salesman and you have checked that it's not loaded. No, you don't point a gun at anyone you don't intend to shoot. There was no reason to point it at the stage crew. If it had been another actor in a scene, _maybe_.

That's my understanding, as well. From what I've read, the whole set was pretty loose wrt safety. The whole production sounded like a disaster right from the beginning.

Reply to
krw

Wow! You were electrocuted and you are still animated enough to tell the story! I'm impressed. [very big ;-)]

Reply to
Beeper

Special effects aren't needed. Simple gun safety is.

Who said it was "acceptable"? That, alone, should have gotten everyone fired before the accident. The armorer should never have let that happen. Set safety was her job.

Assurances mean nothing. No, it *was* his fault. He shot her. One cannot shift the responsibility of safely handling a gun to someone else. The armorer should have cleared the gun and Baldwin should have checked it again. ...and anyone touching the gun should have checked it's safety. Obviously Baldwin had never had any gun training - foolish.

Reply to
krw

As executive producer, Baldwin is responsible for what occurs on the set. He is responsible for the safety of the environment and crew. He is responsible for hiring a negligent armorer who did not secure the weapons. Baldwin is not solely responsible, but he is certainly partly culpable.

Reply to
Beeper

Yes. It appears that this tragedy was the result of a monumental cascade of willful negligence perpetrated by many parties.

Reply to
Beeper

But what is the first thing you do when you pick up a firearm?

It is but the report that the armorer is female is a fact, was correcting the gender that krw put in.

Fools come in all genders.

Reply to
Markem618

Not that stupid, I treat firearms with the respect they deserve, as well as people.

Reply to
Markem618

Point it in a safe direction while I verify that it is not loaded.

Okay... "never mind."

Reply to
Beeper

When it comes to firearms safety, there is one very important rule that seldom gets mentioned--"Never trust _anybody_".

Reply to
J. Clarke

If there's an armorer on set one can ask the armorer questions like "How do I clear this firearm" and "how do I distinguish a blank from a live round".

And there _should_ be a general rule "Before I point this firearm at this other actor and pull the trigger, I am going to point it at _you_ (the armorer) and pull the trigger."

Reply to
J. Clarke