OT - Bending Z Flashing

Hello,

I recently read an article somewhere about bending Z flashing using a piece of plywood. It may even have been one of those "reader tips" in one of the woodworking magazines. As I recall, you cut out the size of the bend that you want in the plywood, secure it firmly, and then pull the flashing through the other side.

Does anyone here remember seeing the article or know where it came from? I tried searching for it among the magazine collection and online, but came up empty-handed.

I'd also be interested in any other techniques that are used short of buying a brake machine.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

Seems like that would work but don't remember seeing any article about it. I know Harbor Freight sells one pretty cheap, but can understand not wanting to invest in something you will only use once.

Reply to
evodawg

Peter - I am not trying to be a wise guy here, but why would you want to make your own? You can buy a 10' stick of Z to accommodate many different sizes of material for about $4.

I do a lot of repairs, and bend a lot of flashing. But unless you know what you are doing with sheetmetal, it can be very time consuming, tedious and the material unforgiving. In other words, a PITA.

Believe me, >>nothing

Reply to
nailshooter41

The latest issue of ShopNotes has an article on building a sheet metal brake.

you build it you can then make your own sheet metal shelves & drawers.

Limp Arbor

RicodJour

imagine how busy you would be pulling or extruding your own "Z" flash through a piece of plywood.

Not to mention the rounded bends/corners.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I think you'd probably have to do it the way they do with roll forming machines, and have a couple or three plywood dies. My local roofing supply house has a nice antediluvian sheetmetal brake. A ton on the hoof, easy, and it's free to use.

RicodJour