Bending PCV

Hi, I am in the process of planning a dust collection system with a cyclone dust collector. I have been reading about the different options for collection piping and feel that PCV 6" is the best. There is a great resource at

Mr. Pentz suggests bending pipe with a commercial heating blanket. Does anyone know where to get one of these or does anyone have experience with alternative methods of pending pcv pipe.

Thanks

Reply to
keray1234

Anyone selling Greenlee Products. Not sure if the spelling is right

Reply to
evodawg

I've used a large propane torch, carefully. Tom

Reply to
tom

One of my clients started out using the Kitchen oven to make PVC=20 fittings and joints. They would then shape it, and then fling the=20 finished product out the window to a family member -- who then doused it =

in a tub to "freeze" the joint. They are much more sophisticated these da= ys.

So I guess you can use any "gentle" heating method that works. :-)

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

A hot air gun works if you are carefull.

You may need to pack the pipe with sand to prevent it kinking.

Reply to
marks542004

I can see using this method using a smaller dia. pipe but 6" is a little touchy. More volume of pipe and depending on the thickness, but it's worth a try. You might be able to rent a heat blanket from a good rental yard.

Reply to
evodawg

I might do this for a radius of a couple of feet or more, but it's just _awkward_ to get a smooth bend in large diameter pipe. It'll kink first chance it gets - try fastening it down firmly to the best sort of bent-plywood former you can lash up and _stretching_ it round the curve, so that it changes shape by elongation more than by compression and buckling. If I could, or if I needed a small bend, I'd use a commercial moulded elbow and solvent weld it in place.

To heat it I've used an electric hot air gun down the middle of the pipe.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've never done this with 6", but I've bent a lot of 3/4" and 1"... I use a heat gun, but you have to have something inside the pipe at the bend to keep it from collapsing or kinking...

I use a garden hose for small stuff, not sure what you'd use for big pipe...maybe a sleeve of sand like they use for weight for trucks in snow??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

How about that tape-like flexible heating element that you wrap around pipes to keep the from freezing? Plugs into 110V.

-jj

Reply to
JJ

I just redid my whole system w/ 6" - looking at that exact page. I tried a few bends using a torch as well as a heat gun. I had no luck at all doing it. I have done some smaller stuff - but I just couldnt get uniform enough heat to do what I needed it to do. I finally gave up and just bought a few 45's - I was able to do what I needed w/ that.

Reply to
Rob V

I saw a pool guy make a sheet metal bonnet for the exhaust pipe on his truck. He would start the truck, put the pipe in the bonnet and rotate it until it was hot enough to bend. The bonnet looked just like one for a drain vent. It had the round ring to fit the outside of his exhaust, and then another piece riveted to one side and curved over and riveted to the other side. Worked like a champ. max

Reply to
max

I had an electrician do some 4" gray pvc for an install at work. He had to go 'round some obstables and used the greenlee heat blanket. It works, but you have to be slow and patient. I can't imagine trying to bend 6" by that method. Buy sweeps (long elbows) intead.

Reply to
Bob the Tomato

Back when PVC first came out, the local dealer had a 1/2 55 gal. barrel filled with antifreeze solution that he heated over a wood fire. They dipped pieces of pipe in the hot solution and bent it to whatever shape they wanted. Prolly violates 14 different OSHA and EPA regs. now. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

The owner of a large business told me when needing to bend electrical PVC conduit They would put it inside of a bus exhaust pipe for heat. He stated you could run the pipe around bends. Virgle

Reply to
Virgle

Most things that work well do.

Reply to