OT Antivirus software

Repeated requests to McAfee for help getting their software running again have gone unanswered! Program got into trouble and wouldn't load to it was uninstalled and reloaded twice and attempts to start it show the same error message. One message from McAfee was received with sounds of wanting to help was received and it has been sent back

3 times. I used Norton before switching to McAfee and am wondering if there are other options available.
Reply to
nospambob

AVG Antivirus. They even have a 100% free version which works great and the virus definitions are updated very regularly. Been using it here for last 6 months and still virus-free.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

our tool survey, Win $200!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System

- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge

- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

- Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer

- WoodHaven Biscuit Master

- EZ Smart Guide System

Woodcrafter

I have been using the free version of AVG.

have pay versions as well. I have tried several other virus filters. But AVG has done the job for me. The strongest point in its favor is that it doesn't load my machine down and slow the computing. Which is important for my applications.

The only downside is that it does take a bit longer when using my new spam filter. But even then, it doesn't load the machine down and everything gets done like it is supposed to.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Norton or EZ Trust from Computer Associates. I have one at home, the other at work, they are both pretty good.

Edwin Pawlowski

OS X Virus free since April 2001. On line 24/7/365 'cept one line power failure caused by some privatization deal south from here..*G* UNIX rules!!!

and prior to installing OS X:

OS 9 and previous Virus free since Jan. 1993.

----------------------- Ad them up. 12 years, no virus. No virus checkers either.

One virus in 1988

No virus from 1984 - 1988

Before everybody takes their shirts off, I only toot the Mac horn when the topic has presented itself. I NEVER start threads extolling the virtues of the vastly superior, crash-worthiness, viral immunity, functionality and blazing speed of this obviously better platform.

G,D & R

Reply to
Robatoy
[...]

OS9 was pretty old by 1993... dou you run it on a 6809 or a 68000? ;-)

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

I used McAfee for a while, but I never really liked the way it worked or didn't work. Once it is broken, it seems nothing can restore it to good healtn. I have been using Norton, and it works for me.

By the way, you also should use SpyBot Search&Destroy, Zone Alarm, and Ad-Aware to supplement whatever anti-virus program becase no program catches everything. These three programs are free. Jim

Reply to
Jim

I've installed AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot and MS Beta Spyware Blocker on many systems with no further problems or slowdown. All can be set to run automatically and to update automatically.

Best of all - they are all free.

I do not like either Norton or McAfee for various reasons - suffice to say the combo I mention above is superior for various reasons, IMHO.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

So far, you have used two that most people seem to have problems with. Here are some others...

Free AVG avast! (my personal choice)

Paid Kasperky (many feel it is the best) e-Trust (computer Associates...used to use it but dumped them because they would not honor their agreed upon renewal fee)

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

OS 6 (SIX) wasn't even old by 1993.

I knew some parts of 'Old Europe' were a bit behind on some things, doc, but system 7.6 wasn't released till Jan 24 1997. This time, it seems, you were ahead by at least 7 years with the release of OS 9.0 which was released just prior to OS X to prepare mac users for the upgrade to OS X. I'd put that release around 1999 or 2000.

Have somebody check your homework.

Reply to
Robatoy

AVG antivirus, free, from

is excellent. Same updates as Norton and McAfee, on the same days, good cleaning abilities, and automatic scans and updates are standard.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

In other words, for the entire history of OSX.

I've got one Linux box that has an uptime of (checks) 1004 days.

There ya go.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ahhhhh, another person who knows OS-9. Mine was on a 6809E. Yours?

Dave "Feeling old..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I don't know OS 6, but OS9 was released at least by 1982.

Have somebody check your history.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

macintosh OS 9? Or are we talking Apple II stuff here? If we are.. I'll beg off, as I know (in my best Schultz voice) NOTHING about any Apples prior to 1984.

Reply to
Robatoy

We can't be talking about the same OS 9. I was an infant in 1982. (33)

Reply to
Robatoy

Nope. Here:

If we are.. I'll beg off, as I know (in my best Schultz voice) NOTHING

OS9 as you may know by now, was fairly unix-ish. So it is more similar to OS X than it was to the other, more recent OS 9.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I (think) Robotoy is referring to Mac OS 9, not Microware (Radisys) OS9.

Google found a thread from a year or so ago where a respondent posted the following brief history...

"Assuming you [mean] OS-9 the Real-Time OS and Not OS9 the Mac OS, OS9 first started about 1978 on the 6809 processor. It was ported to the 68K family about 1982. In 1987 the OS was ported to other Processors, I believe the x86 was the first. This was know as OS9000 at the time. Since then OS9 has been ported to the PPC,MIPS,Hitachi H series, Sparc, ARM, and other processors. For a detailed timeline you might want to contact Radisys(Microware) directly."

Brings back many old memories...some good, some not so much. :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Mostly 68K's VME-bus.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Ah. Never got to run it on anything that new. Fun times, as you said...mostly.

Reply to
Dave Hinz