Trusteer Rapport problems [OT in uk.d-i-y]

Anyone out there using this evil pernicious bit of software?
In case you haven't come across it, it is supposed to protect you when using on-line banking by warning you if you inadvertently enter your banking passwords into bogus sites, as used by phishing expeditions. It's often provided free by banks "for your own good". Mine was provided by Nationwide.
So far so good. Except that it uses a lot of system resources *and* embeds itself into the kernel of your OS - like a rootkit virus - making it difficult to get rid of.
I have had it installed on my (W7 32-bit SP1) system for a couple of years without too much ado *but* it has just updated itself (to v3.5.1205.20) and keeps crashing. Every time it crashes, it freezes my browser (Firefox) for a few seconds. Then it attempts to re-start every couple of minutes and crashes again . . .etc.
I decided that enough was enough and that its nuisance value exceeded its usefulness - so I tried to get rid of it. Nothing I have tried so far has worked. Although the application itself will not run, there are remnant processes and services still running, and these refuse to be stopped in Task Manager.
I've tried to uninstall the application in Control Panel/Programs and Features. It goes through the motions but doesn't *actually* uninstall.
I've tried doing it in Safe Mode but that can't find the Installer program to do the uninstalling.
I've tried restoring the system to a restore point prior to the update. Again it goes through the motions but then reports that it was unable to complete the restore - so nothing has been changed!
Anyone else had similar problems? Have you managed to sort it? If so, how?
TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Sorry, no. But thanks for the warning. ;-)
Tim
In article <1753623077384101365.530530timdownie2003-
@nospampleaseyahoo.co.uk says...

+1
--

Phil, London

On 04/03/2013 14:52, Tim+ wrote:

An utter world of pain when I tried using it a couple of years back on a Mac. Spent hours with bank and software support. Removed it.
Rob
On 04/03/2013 15:11, RJH wrote:

My experience too, on PC (XP). I seemed to be able to remove it OK then. Santander are currently pestering me to reinstall.

ow?

I was warned by IT staff at work. Apperently they have had a lot of issues by people installing it on their work PCs to do their banking in working hours.
MBQ
On 3/4/2013 3:37 PM, Roger Mills wrote:

I suspect the only sure way would be to back up everything and reinstall Windows.
--
Peter Taylor

Peter Taylor wrote:

You will have to learn how to use regedit.

RBS foisted that crap on me a few years ago and I got so fed up with it leaving randomly-named folders everywhere I removed it. Maybe when you tried a system restore it screwed up the uninstall routine. Try re-installing it then uninstalling again.
On 04/03/2013 15:13, Dave-UK wrote:

Thanks - but unlikely. The restore attempt was my *final* act - it wouldn't uninstall *before* that.
--
Cheers,
Roger

I installed it on an XP machine about 2 years ago, and found it slowed down Firefox, especially when using banking related services eg Paypal, and also caused FF to close suddenly and unexpectedly.
I asked on their forum, but had no response. I may have contacted them, but can't find any record of this now.
I lived with it for about a year till the end of 2011, then got annoyed, and removed it.
Unfortunately, I can't remember how, but I remember having to have 2 attempts before it was "gone". After this there was one service still running, visible in Autoruns (the SysInternals program), which I stopped some weeks or months later. I have just checked this old machine, and some folders and files are still there.
After the "removal" all the Firefox problems disappeared, so I assume the remaining service and folders didn't cause trouble.
There are a few removal methods listed on the Trusteer site, the basic method, via safe mode and via removal software that they send you. I can't find the removal software on the old machine, so I assume I didn't get as far as needing that.
I won't ever put it back, but my bank nags about it every time I log on.
--
Bill

On 04/03/2013 16:33, Bill wrote:

But which website doesn't have some popup about cookies or a "survey" before you get to do what you wanted to? ISTR the money section in the Times once had a sorry tale of someone who relied upon Trusteer Rapport and it didn't do the job intended (they still went to some cloaked .ru or similar and got cleared out).

So, where does one stand if you use online banking and get taken by some crook and the bank's investigation department says "Ah, but you failed to install the security software we provided foc"?
--
Bill

Varys with the bank and the detail of their online banking offering.
Some have been prepared to make quite absolute guarantees that if you get shafted, they will cover that, basically to encourage people to use their online banking.
Corse if you have a decent part of a megabuck that can get stolen, you might not want to rely on that alone.
The bank I use for the bulk of my transactions does provide that sort of absolute guarantee, but I deliberately keep the bulk of the cash that I get a decent rate of interest on with a separate financial institution so that if I ever do get looted, they cant get much so it would only be a minor irritation if they do choose to make an obscene gesture in my general direction if the shit does hit the fan.
Some of the others I do have an account with have fancy real time verification that it is me transacting the account, with SMSs sent to my mobile etc for each transaction etc both for the authorisation of the transaction and to inform me of account activity as it occurs so its easy to tell the bank that the account has got compromised etc.

IANAL but if the terms and conditions of the account don't require you to use the software provided, that line of argument would get them nowhere.
Banks want you work online because it saves them money even after they've paid out for the resulting fraud. That's why they take such a relaxed attitude about your computing environment.
--
Mike Barnes

On 05/03/2013 01:04, Bill wrote:

I think they'd find it a very difficult argument - for instance, my bank sends me text messages if too much money has unexpectedly gone out of my account and I can then transfer money from another account before 12pm to avoid failed payments and bank charges. They obviously expect me to do this. However, the timing of these messages guarantees that, like most people, I will be at work when they are received and I cannot install any software on my work PC.
SteveW

Sensible businesses block access to online banking and online shopping, and quite a bit else.
--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground

On 06/03/2013 00:29, Steve Firth wrote:

Sensible people usually don't use their work machine to access their banking!
If I needed to do so, I would use my own device (possibly iPad or Android phone - but maybe my own laptop). Depending on circumstances, I might even use my own connection rather than work's.
--
Rod

AAMOI what do you mean by "12pm"? Noon or midnight?
--
Mike Barnes

Well noon obviously. What else would it mean? Are you one of these people who say "It happened at 2am in the morning" and suchlike?
--
Tim