OT: What type of Disc connecter do I need?

I've just take one of these out of my old laptop:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Toshiba-MK1237GSX-120-GB-Internal-5400-RPM-6-35-cm-2-5-HDD2D62-Hard-Drive/78722166?iid12571997781
and I want to buy a connector to plug it into my desktop
but the connections on this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/USB-to-SATA-External-HDD-SSD-Hard-Disk-Drive-Adapter-2-5-Converter-Lead-Cable/504049276?iid 2983320703
don't look right.
what am I not understanding here?
TIA
tim
On 12/05/2019 19:58, tim... wrote:

looks ok tome if you want to connect a sata drive to usb. The drive is also sata.
Its only usb2 so don't expect it to be fast.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-To-SATA-22-Pin-2-5-Inch-Hard-Disk-Drive-SSD-Adapter-Connector-Cable-Lead/223319229245

It’s under £2.70. Just buy it. ;-) Its a sata lead for your sata drive. At the very worst, you lose £2.69.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

plus all the aggravation of dealing with an eBay seller
:-(
tim
On 13/05/2019 08:40, tim... wrote:

The aggro (IME) for that kind of purchase seems to amount to, "click buy it now, and receive it in the post within a day or so".
--
Cheers,

John.

you're obviously luckier than me
I've bought less than 6 electrical items using eBay or similar (because of adverse results of doing so)
which are:
wait several weeks for it not to arrive, complain, obtain refund
product arrives DOA. Complain, after some argy-bargy get refund
Product fails after 3 months, have lost receipt so don't get to complain
product fails after 15 months - to late to complain but still a shoddy result
tim
On 13/05/2019 18:12, tim... wrote:

Christ, you must have bad luck! I opened my Ebay account in 2005 and have made going on for 400 purchases since then - electronics, a thermostatic rainfall shower plus cubicle and tray, toilet and washbasin, lights, cable, satellite boxes, phones, lots of electrical goods, DIY items, models and modelling items. I have only had two items that needed to be returned - a wrongly described SKY+ remote and a dual impeller shower pump that turned out to be seized. Both quickly resolved. I have also had a couple of items that were wrong, but replacements were sent out without requiring a return - a chromed brass soap tray that was incorrectly supplied instead of a longer, shampoo/sponge shelf version and a set of Mini ignition leads instead of Sierra ones.
SteveW
On 13/05/2019 18:12, tim... wrote:

snip

Was that from, say, China? I've waited 3 months before now, best result 2 weeks. Otherwise, pretty quick on the whole.

I didn't know you needed a receipt - in fact, I didn't know you get one. Just the record of the transaction is enough, I'd have thought. Or did you change account?

Yep, getting what you pay for has to be factored in. For some of the high volume shifters, it might be worth asking, so as 'to not prejudice future feedback' ;-)
I restrict my ebay buys (some 500) now to small things (like screws and cables), and large things locally that I can see before I pay.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 14/05/2019 09:37, RJH wrote:

I've only bought half a dozen things from China and all but one arrived on time. Yes the wait was long in some cases, but that had been indicated in the item details before I bought.
The one item that was late was only by a few days and the service was unbelievably good. I'd ordered LED GU10s to replace the bathroom CFLs (3) and the kitchen CFLs (8) to get rid of the long delay to full brightness. The seller contacted me to say that they were stuck in the post due to a postal strike in London and offered to send another set that they had in the UK by courier (at no extra cost), cancel the order for a full refund or just wait. I was in no rush and said I'd wait. They arrived a few days late and then I found that the seller had refunded around a third of the cost as compensation for the delay!
SteveW

I've always been totally happy with the items that I've ordered from various Asian countries. The only time I've complained was about an OBD2 bluetooth device with a small software CD. The CD had a virus in an associated program unconnected with the basic software, and the device had a dry joint found when I opened it up to check which straps were in place (it was for a Jeep, which had a weird configuration). I got it working well, but sent a complaint just for their information. They sent a very apologetic email and refunded half the cost.
--
Bill

I was told it would arrive within two weeks
I complained after 4 (because I was about to go on holiday)

I assumed that I needed the email
It never occurred to me that i could fine the info from my account

a generic device costing circa 20 quid ought to be reliable
tim

I think you’ve been very unlucky although I grant you it reliability of sellers may well vary across the different types of products being purchased. Some things, like used mobile phones, probably attract a lot more dodgy dealers.
Anyhow, there are so many things available astonishingly cheaply that just aren’t easy to find anywhere else that I’m quite prepared for the odd less than ideal product.
Last week I received a carburettor overhaul kit for my 15 year old MacCulloch strimmer for next to no money. Sadly it didn’t include a rubber non-return valve that I need but it turns out that these are also available for next to nothing so I’m not fussed and I’m happy to wait for it to come from China.
Tim+
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Is that view based on hearsay or experience? I’ve bought an awful lot of small stuff via eBay over the years and I can’t imagine life without it. I can count the number of times I had any issues on the fingers of one hand and they’ve always been sorted amicably.
If you’d ordered before posting here you’d probably have it by now(if it was in the uk). ;-)
Tim+
--
Please don't feed the trolls

personal experience
tim
SATA

That cable is a SATA/USB cable, not what you would normally use to connect a hard drive to a desktop. The desktop may well have a SATA cable already if its not a geriatric.

That the drive at the top would normally be plugged into a SATA cable in the desktop.
If the desktop is ancient there are other ways to do it, but not worth spelling that out unless you say it doesn't have any SATA cables in it.
On 12/05/2019 19:58, tim... wrote:

Depends how you wish to make the connection. Normally I would use a sata cable to connect the drive to a sata port on the mother board and make sure there is a spare connector on the power supply. I would also need additional bits of metal to mount the 2.5" drive in a 3.5" or 5" bay in the desktop.
If you want to use USB I would try to use a USB 3 port on the desktop if it has one.
--
Michael Chare

No
I want it to be "portable" to other machines.
I'm aware that I could just plug it in inside the box. I don't want that
tim

Then you should have said that, stupid

Look for a HDD case or caddy.
Some require two USP ports to be able to supply enough power.
I use a couple of Startech SATDOCK25U - https://www.startech.com/uk/HDD/Docking/USB-to-SATA-External-Hard-Drive-Docking-Station-for-25in-SATA-HDD~SATDOCK25U
No case, so much easier to swap drives & they were about £5 each.
--
Regards
wasbit
On 13/05/2019 08:39, tim... wrote:

You basically have three options... one is a lead like that pictured (although I would get the USB3 version - it will cost similar, and may make a difference in a few cases (lots of mechanical 2.5" drives are slow anyway, but for accessing SSDs the extra speed of USB3 can be used). Its very portable and good for temporary access to a drive.
If you want a more robust option for access to the same drive repeatedly, then a more conventional caddy is the way to go.
If you want flexibility for all kinds of drive, and need and easy way to clone both 2.5 and 2.5" drives, then something like:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Is very good - it also have the external PSU so can spin up mechanical 3.5" drives, which the USB only adaptors often won't.
(note the drive clone operation, can't (on my older model unit anyway) clone a drive to a smaller drive).
--
Cheers,

John.