OSHA requirment

Took a Bosch jigsaw and a Porter Cable sander to the repair shop today. The repair form I signed made me acknowledge that if they took the tools apart and decided they could not repair them that they could not, because of an OSHA rule, put them back together but would return them to me disassembled.
Anybody have this experience?
On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 9:54:43 PM UTC-4, swalker wrote:

Let's ask OSHA, shall we?
https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/2009-03-16-1
I quote the final conclusion:
"In sum, there is no OSHA construction standard that specifically prohibits the reassembly of a defective electric power tool. However, the repair company you refer to may be concerned that reassembling the tool could result in a construction employer putting it back into service in an unrepaired condition, which the standards referenced above would prohibit"

On 9/7/2018 9:54 PM, swalker wrote:

It protects them from giving you a tool that does not meet standards of proper operation. Using such a tool would be an OSHA violation. It is more of a CYA than anything.

Having read all this I can see the logic.
It really didn't matter to me one way or the other.
It they can not fix the tool I will certainly not drive the distance to the repair center to pick it up. I will replace it.
On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 12:23:53 PM UTC-4, swalker wrote:

"Any item not picked up within 10 days will be assessed a storage fee of $5 per day. After 30 days, there will be a disposal fee of $25 per item."
;-)

I wouldn't take a portable power tool (particularly anything from PC) in for repair, at all. I'd just replace it. Labor is just too expensive these days to bother with it.

I was offered free repair recently - to replace a wheel on a favourite piece of luggage - but by the time I paid for shipping or drove 90 minutes each way twice .. nah. .. so they sent not one wheel - but two wheel assemblies shipped free to my home - now if I had an industrial riviting machine, I'd be all set ! I'm still pondering - to drill out one of the new wheels and do the wheel-only replacement ... not sure how to make it a proper job .. never done any rivet peening before .. brass rivet or something else ? ideas welcomed. John T.
On 9/11/2018 5:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Nut and bolt. Use an acorn nut on the inside.

Swivel casters - no inside - but that is still a good suggestion. if I can get the cap nut tight enough without squeezing the wheel .. Thanks. John T.
On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 5:55:50 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Is there another excuse for making that drive? A park that you wanted to visit? A restaurant that you wanted to try? A friend you haven't seen in a while? A fair or festival that sounds like fun?
When SWMBO and I have to make a drive for a reason that we aren't thrilled about, we try to find a way to make an adventure/day-cation out of the chore. We've visited/hiked places that we never would have considered if we hadn't have been "forced" to go in that direction.
A couple of weeks ago we walked 5 miles at Ashley Reservoir in Western MA because we had to visit a family member that is ill. It added some enjoyment to an otherwise depressing trip.
https://tinyurl.com/Ashley-Reservoir
Full URL
https://cdn-assets.alltrails.com/uploads/photo/image/11590824/extra_large_2e33b70c6104d9e0e09e7e1a45680cf8.jpg

As I'm sure you know, there are lots of YouTube videos and instructions for luggage wheel replacement available on the old interweb. Find the style/brand of luggage that matches yours and have at it.

Toronto - I enjoyid it like root canal surgury.

Nope - I haven't done a web/youtube search - thanks for the tip. ... I doubt that the style/brand makes much difference, though. John T.
On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 11:04:17 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I'll bet you'll be surprised. Do an image search on "luggage wheels".
Singles, dualies, wheels that mount inside a holder, holders that mount outside the wheel, etc.
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-replacement-luggage-wheels.html
On 9/11/2018 10:32 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

We do the same. I also wonder if you called ahead if they would do the repair in a short time. Go have lunch and come back for it.
I like to drive so any place at any time works for me. I've done a 60 mile round trip many times because a particular bakery had the best rye bread in New England.
On Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 10:53:50 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Man, if I had a nickel for every time I've said "I like to drive" I could hire a chauffeur. Then I'd make him sit in the back seat. ;-)

Many years back when we were "perfecting" my son's World Championship Soap Box Derby car, I used to make the 180 mile round trip to my buddy's shop 2-3 a week for about 4 months. Mostly after work/school. I never minded the drives (well, almost never) and my son enjoyed the time too. Lots of homework got done in the back of our van. Lots of talking got done too.
On 9/12/2018 5:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You talked?
Many cars now come with screens in the back so passengers can watch a movie on DVD, etc. Don't kids look at screens enough today? Look out the window and see the world go by and talk to your parents. Now you can drive coast to coast and see nothing but movies. You won't in my car.
On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 10:53:07 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

1997 Dodge Ram B2500 Conversion Van
No screens except when I would put my 13" TV/VCR combo in the back when we went away on race weekends. That's when the kids would watch videos or play games while the *Dad's* talked. ;-)
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 10:53:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

People are pretty much held captive by their hand-held devices; that's why they're called cell phones.