Problem with DeWalt 735 Planer - anyone have the same problem?

The planer produces great surfaces, as all the reviews have stated. However, after a few uses and creating a couple of dust collector bags of chips (99% pine/fir) and using it well within the guidelines stated by DeWalt, the rollers stopped working. After taking off the cover to the roller drive, I discovered that the sprocket to the front roller had broken. Called the national phone number - a new part would take 4 weeks to ship due to a factory backorder. Next option was to exchange it at WoodCraft, where I bought it. They wouldn't get a new planer in for ~3 weeks. Next option was to drive the 40 miles to the nearest service center where they happened to have 1 sprocket in (they weren't going to get additonal sprokets for at least 4 weeks as well). After losing most of the afternoon to driving and repairs, I got the planer back to my shop and had it up and running again. After ~6 feet of fir, the wood stopped being fed through. I took off the roller drive cover and sure enough, I had another broken sprocket. Now, no matter what I do, I'm sitting with a very expensive and very heavy paper weight for a number of weeks and of course, it is in the middle of a project.

Reply to
G_McFly

I know it isn't ideal, but you can always push/pull the wood through in the meantime so you can at least get your project done. Still, sounds like a pretty lousy situation.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Out of curiosity, are you by chance switching speeds before turning the planer on or while it's running? The manual says to only switch speeds while the planer is running.

Reply to
mel
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Well....It seems to be a very common occurrence, we are located in only a small town & we have had to order those sprockets quite a few times, one of my customers even got rid of his planer due to it happening a few times (probably returned it as it was only a few weeks old) the last time the parts were on backorder. They are currently not in stock yet again. If you manage to get hold of any get at least 4 you may need them & they are only about $3 each.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Being a guy, most times I don't consult instructions for use; however, with my woodworking equipment, I read and follow the manuals (out of fear for loss of money and/or blood/life/limb).

Reply to
G_McFly

Ouch! Have the same planer, but have had better luck thus far. I wonder if something is haywacky inside, causing some kind of obstruction? Have you tried Dewalt tech support after this second problem? Please keep us posted as to your final fix! Scott

Reply to
Scott

Wow, have not had that problem... How much were you taking off? Could sap from pine be a contributor top this? I have certainly used mine a lot and have not had this problem!

Reply to
gabriel

I'm on my third planer now after having the same problem. The first one, which I received as a Christmas present, broke the sprocket after 45 minutes or so of use. I took it back for a new one and the second planer broke the sprocket on the first board. After talking to DeWalt support, I removed the 3 unbroken sprockets from first planer back at store, to get second one up and running. Sprocket broke again after about 3 feet of board. This time I got looking closer at planer and found that the rear drive roller was jammed. I think that is what is causing sprockets to break. (alignment problem maybe?) Anyways took machine back to store and took the display machine, as it was made in different week than first two. So far have not had any problems with it. The store said they will give me new machine as soon as they get one in. Little worried about taking new machine as display one is running great and don't want problems to start all over again. The first two machines were made in week 36 of 2003 and machine running in shop now was made in week 26 of 2003. When the DeWalt support guy said he had a spare sprocket sitting on his desk, it makes you think they know they have a problem with planer. I wish DeWalt would admit that they have a problem and are working on it , than say "first I have heard of it." The local DeWalt rep also told me he had not heard of any problems. I would get a new machine if the sprocket breaks because I think it is a roller problem (jamming) over weak sprocket, so it will break again.

Hope this helps you and not depress you more.

Glenn

Reply to
baxtermaintenance

how did you determine the date of manufacture of your DW735?

-- SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
SwampBug

It's part of the serial number like "DW735 3603CT7071" numbers "3603" will mean it was made in the 36 week of 2003. This is from memory as I don't have it serial number in front of me so there may be a couple other digits in number ,but that is how it was explained to me from DeWalt. Glenn

Reply to
baxtermaintenance

Thank you very much!

-- SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
SwampBug

Had a similar problem with my 733 and it was not fixed reliably until I replaced rollers, roller bushings and retainers, chains and sprockets. Works fine now but that is enough repair effort to warrant replacing. But when it did start having problems was after running a rather too large of a piece of Walnut through it so for me I had to accept responsibility for the problem. I bet sooner or later Dewalt comes out with an official response to address this issue

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Yes, like always it will be called....type 2....type 3....type 4....sorry that model is obsolete....sorry parts for that model have been discontinued.... New Model....They are after all Black & Decker :-).

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Dave,

Maybe I should have used the term "beta testers" rather than "guinea pigs". At the time I received mine, the 735 was new product which was too new to have a history of problems. Now some/several/many? DW735 owners are having trouble with sprocket failures. Makes me think _perhaps_ the 735 was shipped before enough testing was done for that flaw in the sprockets to show up. Hence, some who bought the 735 early are finding the flaws. Myself and many others have not had any problems...YET. I'm thinking we never will have trouble. Those of us who own VW Jettas go to the dealer for repairs too. Seems no one else can fix them. (even the dealer can't get it right half the time either) The vast majority of us have had several power window motors replaced. The window motor issue has got on for years. Sometimes there is no charge to get the motors replaced. Write it off as customer good will. Sometimes they charge you $100 other times $285. It is a design problem that should have been dealt with through a redesign and recall. VWofA chose NOT to go that route. Seems they would rather muddy their reputation then actually fix the problem. I was at the VW dealer in Mesa one day and they were shipping +900 broken window motor assemblies back for credit. Not a small problem! Ask a VW owner if they have had any trouble with their power windows...I'll bet they have!

Now just how did I get on the VW window motor soap box? SWMBO says I'm foaming at the mouth...again. So it's time to hope off the net and cool off for a while.

Later!

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

Ha, or we've modified the capacity to 1x6 clear pine lengrh not to exceed....

Reply to
Eric Johnson

could it be the sap from the pine/fir that may have clogged it up? A good cleaning maybe?

KY

Reply to
KYHighlander

Sorry about that last post, didn't read the entire post. Is the sprocket plastic? If it is I would think an industrial supply would have a metal one that might work. If it is some cheap metal an industrial supply might have a higher quality one that would be cheaper in the long run.

Again sorry about the last post.

Reply to
KYHighlander

I for one, hope you don't have ANY problems with your 735. If the root cause of the problem is a poorly made sprocket, it's likely that DeWalt will get an improved part into production and take care of it.

I have a Star Tac mobile phone that is notorious for breaking antennas. It took me about 2 years to break only 2. They now sell for $2.40 (used to be $10 each) each at Verizon, so last time I picked up three (just in case). Since the phone has exceptional audio quality (listen/send) I'm not about to trade it in for one of the newer, smaller phones which I have listened to and dislike, for their inferior audio quality.

How about "New Coke"?? :) newer isn't always better, huh? "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" is my motto.

dave

DexAZ wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Yeah, I think everyone who's had a StarTac loved them. No camera, no download ringtones, no games, no bells, no whistles...it just plain worked. I find the "TEST" mode display easy to read when I'm working on a cell site or doing drive testing. I've dropped mine countless times so it is all scuffed up BUT it still works & sounds great. I've got through a couple antennas. The last one seems to be better built as has lasted about 2 1/2 years so far. Wife has a V60. Seems too small for my hands and case is too smooth. Keys too small and I have no need for the voice dialing feature. Wish they still offered the StarTac as mine will finally fail the 4 foot drop test one of these days. The new phones with built-in GPS have me concerned somewhat but I guess you have the option to send your GPS info _only_ during a 911 call.

"New Coke", what a joke! I'm sure it _seemed_ like a good idea at the time. Picked some Coke up tonight, regular, good lode Coke for me. Wife said to get a couple 12 packs of Diet Coke w/Lemon for her. Found Coke, Coke w/o caffine, Caffine-free Diet Coke, Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke, Diet Coke, Diet Coke w/Lemon, Diet Coke w/Lime and the "NEW" Diet Coke with cream & sugar AND a cherry on top (I think) Soon they will need an aisle just for Coke.

I agree, DeWalt will quickly address and correct any faults in the DW735. But I have to wonder what Delta has in the wings to compete with the 735. Maybe 6 1/2"x14" w/4 blades @ 261 1/2 cpi?

DexAZ a former Motorola SC-4812T cellular field engineer ("down-sized" a couple years back with many others to help save the company) Employed, from time-to-time, as an out-source contractor by...Motorola among others.

Reply to
DexAZ

Gheeez,

How much money and how many DeWalt tools will you need to break to finally understand DeWalt makes crappy tools for the consumer market. The few that are good are too hard to find in their wide selection of product. Everything from DeWalt is hype... their ads, their stupid contests, their corporate yellow color, the shape and design of their tools. They put too much money into their ads and not enough in their tools. When you buy a DeWalt tool, 1/2 of the price you pay is for the advertisement campaign.

I got screwed myself after I bought 5 of their tools. They all failed under very little use. The only one still working today is my 1/4 sheet sander. I got rid of them all... I replaced them with brands like Milwaukee, Bosch, Metabo, Hitachi, Porter-Cable and I'm worry free since then.

If I were you, I would try to get my money back and I would buy something else.

Wally

Reply to
BeniBoose