Problem with DeWalt 735 Planer - Part 2

Thank you all for suggestions. I would have had a resolution on this sooner, but the annoy thing called work got in the way. Oh well, need some way to afford the stuff I want.

As the story goes, I called up the 800 customer service number to see what they could do. They in turn called the regional manager, who in turn called the service center. The service center wanted another crack at fixing my planer, so I took it back in (another delightful 40 mile drive). They got the sprocket replaced and started running 2x4s through it for testing purposes. The service guy was taking ~1/32" off and the planer seemed to be working just fine. I suggested going up to 3/32" (well within the chart on the front of the planer). About 4" into planing the board, snap goes the sprocket. I'm glad I didn't wait until I got home to start planing.

The options I was then given were: 1) Have a new replacement machine sent to the service center (time ~1 week). In the mean time, replace the sprocket on my machine, make the least aggressive cuts I can, and hope the sprocket doesn't break. 2) Wait for WoodCraft to get a replacement machine with the same interim solution (time ~3 weeks). 3) Take another machine that was slightly used (returned due to snipe problem; however, it was most likely PEBMAF*)

I went with option 3. Before I did however, I made sure that the blades were in excellent condition and that the machine wasn't used very much. I also made sure that the machine could plane the 3/32" without snapping the sprocket.

While I was waiting for the planer to be repaired, I was talking to the manager of the service center and learned a couple things: First, the stuff they sell at the service center is list price. They can/will give a discount, if you ask. Second, the service center manager and the regional manager acknowledged that there was a problem with how they were dealing with this issue and with how things were being stocked (e.g. my region and another region were have stocking problems with the sprocket, but other regions were not). I don't know what changes will occur, if any, because of this, but at least they realize that there is a problem. I did let the service center manager know about my posting to a news group and that a lot of people weren't pleased with DeWalt's actions.

In the end, I ended up with a working planer and a hope that problems like this won't follow the same path to resolution. Oh, and a small gloat. I got free in/out feed tables. I had the choice between replacement knives or the tables, but I figured I could talk SWMBO out of money for knives a lot more easily than I could talk her out of money for tables.

*Problem Exists Between Machine And Floor
Reply to
G_McFly

I'm surpassed you took option 3 unless it included an agreement from DeWalt to replace the used unit ASAP with a NEW unit shipped directly to your home. Hope the one you have continues to work without incident. Have you had any snipe with that one? What kind of material is the sprocket made from, pot metal? I take it DeWALT hasn't mentioned their final solution for all these broken sprockets, yet?

dave

G_McFly wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave
1/32 passes WOW! that rocks..I bet Dewalt changes the specs to that depth of cut to fix the problem.... Like I said in part one. I worked the Dewalt to it's limits and didn't get it repaired (at my expense) till I replaced rollers bushings chains etc... I now have a General International 15" 3 horse and won't look back. The 735 while when working does a nice job but for only a little more there are certainly better machines available.

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson

You are making me happier with my 733 than I've been since I saw the 735 at the San Mateo WW show.

dave

Eric Johns> 1/32 passes WOW! that rocks..I bet Dewalt changes the specs to that depth of

Reply to
Bay Area Dave