Opinions Wanted - Trestle Table

A long-time engineer friend, Tony, who has volunteered some free time to he lp design the camp, saw the pics and wants to come take a look at the table . Even unfinished, I'm already feeling good about this project.... and r eally appreciating all the help I've been getting from all of you.

The present tabletop boards are 2" thick. I have 2 other nice boards, wid er than the present ones, that are 1.5" thick. I may put these on top and see what they look like, compare the two sets. Those leg units can stand some good trimming. *I might can make a trip to Morganza, the Miss. Riv er floodway locks, there, and search for another walnut rootball.... make a nother table with the 2 sets of tabletop boards.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

System3 recommends their epoxy not be used on green or wet wood.

-------------------------------------------------- Don't sweat the petty stuff.

You're only filling cracks, not encapsulating a complete board.

Your problems, if any, will be limited to heat build up causing the resin to fire off and foam resulting in a defect which you will have to grind out and replace with new material.

This can be avoided by limited your fill to 1/2", let cure, then fill again with in 24 hours, building up as you go.

Forgot to ask, are you planning to glue these wide boards together forming one large board, or do you plan to just butt the board edges together and attach to the under structure?

I could see how you could butt the rough edges together, then fill the cracks formed by the boards with black epoxy.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Since all the major parts are so heavy, I thought to key the leg units to t he trestle and loose-pin/dowel the tabletop boards together, as table leafs are loose-doweled to a fixed table top. With this wide of boards, I'm co ncerned with expansion and contraction, so I think they, individually, need to remain free floating.

Once in its permanent place, the table isn't likely to be moved, so the wei ght of the top (200+ lbs?) should allow it to remain in place, but I will a ttach it to the base with a loose/sliding connection of some sort. I have n't worked out that specific loose/sliding connection, yet, but it shouldn' t be too technically involved to execute.

I never thought to apply the epoxy a little at a time, and why. Thanks fo r that key info.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny