aaarrrgggghhhhh -- PC 690 fixed base slipped

Well crap, crap, and triple crap. I was routing edge splines in a Greene and Greene breadboard top with a slot cutting bit in a PC 690 with a fixed base. Een though I checked and checked to ensure the screw on the base was tight the router slipped down once I started cutting the slot. Fortunately it didn't go through the entire top. I need to patch the slot an try again.

Do the older style fixed base with a thumb screw have a tendency to work lose and slip once routing starts? I had tightened it down as much as a could without a mechnical aid.

Are the newer fixed bases better?

Reply to
xxxx

Yes, and yes. After a few mishaps like yours, one of which involved the router motor dropping completely down out of a bench-top router table while running, I got in the habit of tightening the thumb screw with a pair of pliers before I hit the switch.

I replaced the fixed base with one of the newer ones with the cam lever tightening mechanism, and I haven't had a problem since.

Tom

Reply to
tdacon

You might try getting a can of that rubber coating stuff and very very lightly mist the motor housing. Having to tighten the screw beyond what one would expect puts undue stress on the whole mechanism. Better to try to decrease the slipperiness.

Most routers these days that use the method of squeezing the base have adopted a flip lever to tighten the base along with in many instances an indexing pen for up and down adjustment. ie. the Bosch 1617 fixed base router. The locking flip lever simply decreases the slop after adjustment.

Reply to
Leon

---------------------------------------------------- Ditto except mine was a Cresant wrench AKA: Knuckle Buster.

Lew