PC 890 questions

I have a question about the motor lock on the porter cable 890 and was looking for answers.

The motor lock is the pin that locks the shaft so you are able to take the bit out of the collet, right? And on this router, it is completely above the router base, right? I also have to clear a 1 1/4 router table top, which may be an issue as well, right? So if my table is 1 1/4 thick I may be able to remove the bit but may need double jointed fingers to get to the lock.

I may be all wrong so please, fill me in. Thanks a bunch.

Mike Coonrod

Reply to
Mike Coonrod

I saw this router being demonstrated on the Hardware show this weekend. It was mounted in a router table. IIRC "in a router table setting" the motor lock engages automatically when the motor is raised all the way up and or set to its deepest cutting position. I would think that your only concern would be getting the wrench on to the end of the collet. I am not sure how far the collet extends past the base of the router base.

Reply to
Leon

Yes. The shaft lock is automatic for above the table bit changes.

Not far. I do not believe you will be able to do above-the-table bit changes if your table or mounting plate is more than about 1/2" or 3/4" thick. The collet will be far below the table surface on a 1 1/4" table. Sorry to be the bearer of bad new Mike!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Frankel

I will have to get one in my hands with a tape and figure out how high it will lift up. The lock does engage automagically, so that is not an issue.

Mart>

Reply to
Mike Coonrod

I am very interested in this new line. I will want to dedicate a base to a table and also have the plunge base. But that new GripVac base looks good too.

As the 890 motor is backward-compatible with the 690 bases (which can be had for only $40), will I lose any of the above-the-table features using the 690 base? Also, is the Router Table Height Adjuster really easier to use than a

3/16" hex socket or should I save the money (the height adjuster isn't available with the plunge/GripVac combo)?

Thanks.

[pasted from other thread. posted before I got down this far.]

Reply to
<nospam

Yes, you will lose the above-the-table feature. The 690 base does not have the collet lock fixture. So, with the 890 motor in the 690 base, you would need to use two wrenches for above the table bit changes or reach in and actuate the spindle lock manually. I'm not sure if you could even get the 2nd wrench in there. It'd be pretty useless.

If you don't already have the 690, you should DEFINITELY NOT buy 690 bases for an 890 motor. The 890 bases are way better, and they are designed to work together with the 890 motor.

There are only two reasons I can think of to mix and match 690 and 890 series componenets:

1) You already have the 690 plunge base. Buy the 892 (fixed base only) and swap the motor between the 890 fixed base and the 690 plunge base. You've saved about $50 relative to the 890 combo pack, but you still have to deal with the crappy allen wrench lock on the 690 plunge base. 2) Buy the 893/4/5PK combo pack. Put your 690 motor in the 890 plunge base. Now you have most of the benefits of two 890 routers for less money.

Caveat: I looked these over very carefully and tried different combinations at the local woodworking show, but I don't actually own an

890 router so take this with the appropriate grain of salt.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Frankel

I was about to buy the dewalt router combo package when I heard about the new Porter Cable 890 series combo. It sounds like it has a lot of great features, but I haven't seen an actual review on it yet. Anyone out there seen one? I saw an excerpt from someone at the Woodworkers Journal and it looks like they will have a review in their next issue.

YJJim

Reply to
YJJim

Received Woodworkers Journal in the mail today. Great review on page 48.

-- Ed. O. My woodworking projects at:

the NAIL from e-mail to reply

Reply to
Ed. O.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Jim

Reply to
YJJim

I've had a pc 690 for a couple years and I've been wanting a second motor and maybe a second plung base to save on time chaning bits (its a pain when building a series of boxes of different sizes).

Then I saw the 893pk at the Denver wooodworking show. I debated getting the variable speed 690 kit with the plung and fixed base but the 893pk was only $30 more. The price turned out to be the same as from Amazon so I got it. The motor will fit in my 690 bases after removal of a guide with two screws but I don't know if I'm going to ever do it. With a fixed base and a plung base I should be able to cover all my two router project needs.

The only concern I had for a while is that the 890 D-handle has no power switch like the 690 but the power switch on the motor can be accessed on the top and the bottom (but not on the plung base). The handle fits on the fixed base replacing one of the regular handles. Supposedly PC will be selling those as separate parts some day but without the trigger on the handle I don't know if I'm going to bother.

One nice feature is the elimination of the need to use two wrenches to change bits. I have not tried it yet (trying to complete too many christmase projects that are in the finishing stage).

PS the eng>I was about to buy the dewalt router combo package when I heard about

Reply to
william kossack