Opinions Please

Hello to all,

After many years of adding machinery and equipment to my collection, it might be time to sell some items. I just have too much machinery in my garage.

I am asking what the following pieces of equipment in new condition should be priced at.

General (made in Canada) Model 130 Planer (like new, used once)

Delta Model 43-379 3HP shaper (never used)

Delta Model 46541P Cabinet, Variable Speed Wood Lathe (used twice)

These machines are in excellent condition. I am selling them because I do not use them and they are taking up valuable space.

I am located in Central New Jersey.

I also have an old Walker Turner 14" Wood/Metal Bandsaw in good condition that I am thinking of selling. It has a 2 speed transmission which makes this a perfect bandsaw for wood and metal.

All these items are single phase machines.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Reply to
JB

Unfortunately, used equipment goes for not much different price no matter how much it is or isn't used (assuming not abused). You may get a little bit of a premium over "run of the mill", but I'd doubt you'll get much over 50-75% of new for any of it--it just doesn't bring more as there's typically too much around to compete.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I agree. The real big difference between new and used, assuming the manufacturer has not had a huge drop in quality, is the warranty. A two year warranty from Jet or other name brand product is worth a lot because they back it with customer service and no cost parts replacement. A used product without the warranty should justifiably sell 30-40% below new price because you are not selling what came with the new product. A lot of used equipment sellers throw in some good accessories (quality saw blades, expensive jigs and templates, etc) to raise the price and that often represents a fair deal for the buyer.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

A lot depends on where you are. In my area, wages are low and there are lots of workmen; consequently, used prices are often in the 75%-85% of new range, rarely below 60%. I've even seen auction sales where something sold for more than new. Go figure...

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I recently paid near new price for a disk-belt sander because I thought it was a good deal. My reference new price was Amazon.com. I later learned Amazon's price was 80% higher than home depot/lowes. I felt taken and learned a hard lesson - check prices at multiple sources to be sure. I think Amazon's price was incorrectly posted.

My point is that I think people sometimes pay more than new because of ignorance. Nobody wants to feel like they have been taken.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Do you need any more items? ;^)