OK, wreckers. It's 'fess up time!

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:15:06 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

Well, Glenn misspelled "certifiable" and you misspelled "hobbyist." I guess that makes you even. ;)

I'm fairly certain that the idiots who write up want ads have never even heard of the technologies they require for any given job. Some seem to want people younger than 22 with a Bachelors in Arts, a Masters in Computer Sciences, and a PHD in something else, know 27 different computer languages fluently, be able to levitate, etc. Oh, and they're offering minimum wage + perqs.

--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hmm. I think you /are/ selling yourself short.

A year after NT was released, I remember seeing an ad looking for someone with 5 years of NT experience. (:

BTW, when the unpaid overtime is figured in, a lot of the young software H1B types ended up making /far/ less than minimum wage. I recall 7 young Indian programmers in San Jose sharing an apartment because none of them could afford a single bedroom unit of their own. When I asked if it wasn't uncomfortably crowded, the answer I got was there were almost never more than two or three at home - because the other four or five would be at work. These guys typically worked twelve to eighteen hours a day and got paid for only eight. Not all the sweatshops are on the /other/ side of the Pacific rim...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I have to turn off the on-the-fly splee cheker because it makes my 2 GHz machine feel like a 200 MHz machine, and I get about 20 words ahead of it typing. I never have been able to spelee wroth a damn. In English anyway. My spelling in Spanish is damn near perfect. :)

That's an apt summary of the ads anyway, except you forgot 15 years of Linux kernel hacking experience.

Reply to
Silvan

Yeah, sumpin' like that. I'll save this post for later. Thanks.

I doubt it. I've never found WINE to be particularly useful for anything.

Reply to
Silvan

Years ago, one of my Windows NT instructors mentioned two passwords to use that most people would never think of..

  1. Rather than using conventional keyboard characters, use something from the extended ASCII character set by holding down the Alt key and using the numeric keypad to enter the ASCII equivilant number representing the character.

I believe he demonstrated by using the ASCII number equivilant to 'backspace'. Hold down the Alt key and enter using the numeric keypad, 008 then let off the Alt key. Not only would most people never think of it, it wouldn't display anything on the screen.

  1. The other simpler example he used, was based on the fact that in NT at least, in User Manager for Domains, you can look up any user, but the field that lists the users password, displays 14 *'s no matter what the password is.

Simply use a password of 14 *'s. (**************)

One of the Salemen at our company, has a company issued laptop. He was having some problems with it one day, so he asked me to come take a look at it for him.

Yep, right on the OUTSIDE lid of the laptop was a piece of paper perhaps

4x6" with both his login name for the corporate network AND the password! Didn't even tape it to the INSIDE of the lid!

At least the way he taped it to the lid was such that when the laptop was open, anybody from across the room that looked at it would see it upside down....

Reply to
Timothy Drouillard

I find it very useful. Most women like it and . . . . . . . . .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ahh, pantie remover....:)

Reply to
Gino

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:27:54 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

So write a new spel chuker, Mr. 15-y/o Linux Wiz. ;)

Right, 15 years with a 12-y/o system.

--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Naw. Actually, the kids bought them for me, so I guess I had better hang on to them a while longer.

Reply to
Olebiker