O/T George Carlin

On Jun 23, 1:45=A0pm, charlieb wrote: =2E

He can wish! Stewart isn't even in the same league as Carlin. Colbert wore really thin, really quickly. Stewart and Colbert totally lack that 'eye' for the funny. Don't get me wrong, I do get my chuckles from those guys as they hit on the easy marks and obvious, like Hillary's pantsuits. Even Letterman and Leno have the odd good one...

My kind of comedian, is one that finds funny stuff where there isn't any. Old Cosby was like that. Pryor in his prime. Steve Martin even had 'it' for a little while. Steven Wright still does. Some say funny things, some say things funny. Some encompass both. Carlin said funny stuff in a funny way. A rare combo. Richard Jeni had 'it' as well. One guy who cracks me up is Gary Valentine. At least his stand-up routine does. I haven't seen his TV show, so I can't comment on his ability to carry a sit-com. Totally un-funny people include Bob Hope, Joan Rivers , Phyllis Diller, Whoopi Goldberg etc.

Carlin was hilarious in spite of his rude choice of words. He used them like a fluorescent paint on a timid canvas. A form of punctuation.

It is just starting to sink in that there will never be any more off- the-wall observations about anything from him... ever again.

Robatoy

Outrageous barely touches that combo. Winters being an absolute genius.

Reply to
Robatoy

The wake is on...

Robatoy

Remember having to spend about 3 months in Fresno on a semi large job. The one thing I will never forget, a Security Guard at every entrance to almost every retail business. Now why would you need one at a restaurants? The other thing I noticed was a large number of Illegal Aliens and a very dirty city. I now commonly refer to Fresno as the armpit of California along with Santa Ana.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

I remember that one!! He in my book was one of the top 10 funniest of all time comic's. I like this one "Why do you Park on a Driveway and Drive on a Parkway"? Making fun of the English Language was his specialty.

Reply to
evodawg

Today's comedians make their bones by making fun of people. When certain comedians attack certain politicians, the war whoops start up in the audience they go into overdrive.

As long as they attack someone up the food chain, like an unknown comedienne attacking a stupid starlit for showing her box in public, they are funny. You are not funny if you attack someone that is less fortunate unless you are going for he "irreverant" or "no boundaries" audience. Not nearly as successful.

Some of the people the make fun of might deserve it, but the comedians that get the most mileage are the ones that cut the deepest against different or ethnic groups like Chris Rock, etc.

Most of today's are one note sambas, not the least bit clever, in turn being not the least bit funny. They write only about certain subjects in particular about their families, their drug problems, or politicians and that is the depth of their writing skills. Many of today's comics don't even write their own material. You KNEW when you were listening to Carlin. Who else could be funny about "stuff"?

Carlin was different. He was a click off of living in our dimension, and questioned everything in a sly way. He knocked me over with his routine that started "do you ever wonder what your dog REALLY does when you aren't there? Think about it... why is he always so happy... what was he doing? How many times can he patrol the yard?"

It was his delivery.

His was an observational humor, perfected and imitated by almost comediennes at least some time (if not all the time) in their career. That guy pioneered dropping a line, and pausing just enough time for us to catch up.

Never been a better, more clever presenter of simple human foibles or idiosyncrasies and most likely never will be.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

IIRC, Fresno is the chart topper in California for car theft and right up there for speed labs. That plus the agricultural smog and the heat....

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

For my money, two (2) of the funniest guys working today are Larry, the cable guy, and Jeff Foxworthy.

Their stuff is not malicious, but it is funny, at least to me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Why do women wear evening gowns to nightclubs? Why don't they wear nightgowns to nightclubs?"

"Why do they put an expiration date on sour cream? What's it gonna do -- go fresh?"

Reply to
Doug Miller

Amen, brother, AAAmen!

"We are sorry to interrupt this message, we are going live to McCain's proposals of going green." (A right-winger going green!!)

"Get back here, George!! We are not done here yet!!!"

Robatoy

The drivers... You, the faster maniacs and slower morons!

**
**

B A R R Y

Even though he's malicious, I really like Ron White.

Other funny new guys Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, Pablo Francisco...

I would have loved to see if Mitch Hedberg had staying power.

**
**

B A R R Y

I must be living in another world, never heard of any of them.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lewis Black tops my short list.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

I thought that was a Gallagher line... Along with "why do you have a pair of panties and only one bra?"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Foxworthy cracks me up. Especially when he starts talking about his redneck relatives Uncle Doug and Aunt Rose.

My wife's name is Rose.

And some of that "you might be a redneck if ---" stuff hits mighty close to home, which just adds to the amusement:

  • own more pairs of boots than sneakers - check
  • know how to milk a goat - check
  • wife can field-dress a deer - check
Reply to
Doug Miller

Here in L/A, it is quite common to have a 1st generation immigrant operating a retail shoe store, with a sign high up on a pole, out front reading:

"Shoe on sale".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, Baja is almost like it's own country... I don't know a lot about the mainland, but a lot of bad things happen there and people tend to lump Baja in with "Mexico".. Sort of thinking that the US sucks because of one bad city..

They don't put up with as much here.. (my area of Baja) You can tell when it's a drug bust, because instead of cops, the officers are agents wearing ski masks and carrying heavy weapons.. They busted one idiot that was wanted on the mainland and registered as a driver in the Baja 500..DUH..

I haven't heard of anyone that had any problems, but I'm on the Sea of Cortez side of Baja.. We try not to travel the highway after dark, but that's more of a safety issue.. A lot of vehicles here don't have lights and there are a LOT of very slow drivers..

Yeah, it seems like it... We were out in the courtyard Friday night, watching the line of headlights coming into town.. Lots of cars coming for the weekend..

We're sort of unique here because along with all the visitors from the States, this is a major vacation spot for the Mexican people living in more urban area like Mexicali..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Yep.. we actually lived in Clovis, near Fresno.. and we avoided Fresno whenever possible..

The illegal's are mostly hired by ag folks, which doesn't help the economy but might be a necessary evil..

We had to jump through a LOT of hoops to move here, for sure..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I think it's also like #2 or 3 in the US for red light runners and related fatalities..

I sure feel safer here!

Also, most of my big tools are in an open carport, and I haven't lost as much as a screwdriver in 2 years.. In Fresno, the TS and all the other stuff would be gone an a few hours..