O/T George Carlin

It was announced on the 11:00PM, PDST, news that George Carlin cashed in his hand tonight.

He was a very funny guy.

His was the kind of humor that made you think.

Understand he had a history of heart trouble.

His lifestyle in his early adult life probably didn't help.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yup, the old white robed reaper of the 70's and 80's claims another. I remember when he thought his heart attack from his abuses was so funny that he worked it into his act. When the second one came along, it was a life style changer.

And so it is with a good friend of mine. He had a lot more fun than he should have from the sixties until about the late 80s when he had his kid. THAT changed his life on the spot.

But he can't undo what he did for so long. He has had a couple of minor strokes, but luckily as of now they can control his problems with pills.

He sure has a lot of funny stories, though.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Another one that will be missed... I understood his humor so well that I just assumed that I was as crazy as he was..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

This is a question for Mac:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How is security in your part of Baja?

Tourism in T/J has gone to hell in a hand basket.

Drug wars will do that.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music"

Funny guy. I saw him live in '91 at Old Dominion University. He will be missed.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

That was one very creative and funny man. When he turned over rocks, he'd see the funny shit. A true genius IMHO. I went to see him every chance I had, and living between Detroit and Toronto, that was often. One show at Hamilton Place still stands out. He walked on, stood there for a moment and said: "How the f*ck are you doing?" The house came down! A standing O, and he hadn't started yet. Sad that he's gone. Sadder yet, is that he's remembered by 'The Seven Words' which was far from his funniest moments. Korman and Carlin gone... we still have Steven Wright and Tim Conway..

Reply to
Robatoy

TJ sucks, Lew.. It's pretty much like Brownsville, IMO, created by and for gringos looking for a "good time".. ( dos pesos? She gets the pesos, you get the dose) In most of the border towns, trouble is easy to find and if you're in the wrong place, it will find you.. Especially if you look like a "rich" gringo... For most people, other than service folks on weekend passes and kids on spring break, you'd never be in one of those "wrong places"

I'm in San Felipe, about 120 miles south of the California border.. As far as living here, security is fine, though I'm not sure we need it.. We're in a huge development that has several gates off of the main highway, and pretty good security folks on them 24/7..

We spend a lot of time in town, both working and playing, and I feel safer in San felipe at night than I did in Fresno during the day..

Just as an example, every day in Fresno the police report in the local paper listed several drive by's, robberies, car jackings, etc. a day..

Last week in San Felipe, 4 guys robbed the Baja version of a 7-11 and yesterday's paper had the whole front page filled with the story and pictures of the bad guys, police chief, etc.. It was big news.. I heard that there was a bank robbery in town, but that was years before we got here..

The snow bird season is over here as the heat and humidity set in, but they've been selling wristbands and stuff for months for the 4th of July weekend.. We usually get several hundred kids down for that, as well as Spring break.. Lots of tickets written for minor stuff that kids do anywhere but I've never heard anything about a kidnapping, serious injury or anything like that..

Sorry for the long post.. Must have been that 3rd cup of coffee..

Come on down, it's wonderful here!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

And Gallagher, if you can separate the brilliant mind from the idiot that smashes watermelons.. (and got very well paid to do that)

My kids grew up on his earlier videos, especially the ones where he talked about the English language..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

In article , snipped-for-privacy@davisbajasplinters.com wrote: paid to do that)

Those were my favorites. I especially enjoyed the one about the airline people telling you to get on the plane: "F**k that! I'm getting IN the plane with you people in uniforms. Let Evel Knievel get ON the plane!"

Reply to
Doug Miller

"jo4hn" wrote

piss.

Reply to
Swingman

f*ck.

Reply to
Doug Miller

He worked #2 into his act anyway -- "I now lead Richard Pryor 2-1 in the Comedians Heart Attack Sweepstakes. Of course, Richard leads me 1-0 in Setting Yourself on Fire. See, what happened was, first Richard had a heart attack. Then I had a heart attack. Then Richard set himself on fire. And I said, f*ck that, I'm having another heart attack."

Reply to
Doug Miller

At the age of 20, in about the middle of an "altered state of consciousness", while on a Munchies Run to the nearby 7-11, I encountered a very old man I'd gotten to know playing frisbee. The fact that a guy who'd survived, and apparently enjoyed, his100 years so far (he carried an old expired drivers license to verify his age), played frisbee with a bunch of college students made him a fixture in the neighborhood.

Anyway, he was having trouble distinguishing between the buttermilk and regular milk cartons (non-fat, low fat, reduced fat, 2% and "Vitamin D Enriched" hadn't been invented yet - AND 7-11s carried buttermilk back then). He asked me to pick out the buttermilk for him, which I did.

"Thanks. You're a good kid." - he said, then leaned in and said in a conspiratorial voice - "I'm gonna tell you something you won't understand at your age."

I waited for Words of Widsom, an significant insight from a man who no doubt had seen and done a lot of things in a hundred years.

"Life is absurd you know?" he said looking me right in the eye - just a hint of a smile on his face.

Given the perceived experiences of my past few hours I whispered in his ear "I know." and smiled back at him.

He held me at arms length, hands on my shoulders, and studied my face and looked in my eyes for what seemed like hours. Then he stepped back, milk carton in hand, smiled again and said "You know, I think maybe you do." and walked out of the store.

And soon after The Draft, and A JOB, and a wife, and a son, and a parent's death, and . . ., the things of Adulthood shoved that little bit of insight WAY to the back burner.

But Carlin somehow managed avoid "When I was a child I played with toys, but then I became a man and I put away my childish things."

He saw the absurdity in many of the things we do and allow to be done TO us, and, with humor, reminded us of just how absurd (so clearly unreasonable as to be laughable or ridiculous) life is.

Jon Stewart - here's the torch. Try not to burn yourself - out.

R.I.P. George - ya done good.

charlie b

ps. the old man's secret of longevity

  1. a shot of decent to very good bourbon a day
  2. avoid marriage ; )
Reply to
charlieb

A lot of people are unaware that "Tim Conway" is actually" "Tom Conway" from Chagrin Falls, a small town about 30 miles SE of Cleveland, OH.

When he came to SoCal, "Tom Conway", the actor, was already here, thus the name change.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

And quite a lot more probably really don't care... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

He was one of my top five favorites.

He's also stood the test of time. RIP!

**
**

B A R R Y

Stewart is GREAT!

But I like Colbert better...

**
**

B A R R Y

That was one very creative and funny man. When he turned over rocks, he'd see the funny shit. A true genius IMHO. I went to see him every chance I had, and living between Detroit and Toronto, that was often. One show at Hamilton Place still stands out. He walked on, stood there for a moment and said: "How the f*ck are you doing?" The house came down! A standing O, and he hadn't started yet. Sad that he's gone. Sadder yet, is that he's remembered by 'The Seven Words' which was far from his funniest moments. Korman and Carlin gone... we still have Steven Wright and Tim Conway..

George will indeed be missed. I grew up listening to George and Bill Cosby among others.

If you really want to hear some outrageous comedy, tune in when Robin Williams and Jonathan Winters are on the same stage.

Reply to
HDRDTD

These days, it is a ghost town.

So be it, but today it qualifies as a "killing field", much the same as any US slum with a drug problem and a turf war.

That's been SOP for ever, but things have escaluated to include car jacking and kidnapping.

Sounds like you are pretty well insulated from the rest of Mexico.

Same kind of reports of local violence show up on TV news reports here in L/A, but now they are starting to include the drug wars in Mexico since there is a large Latino population in SoCal.

Travel warnings are being issued to leave before dark, travel in groups, etc.

It's a shame these turf wars, fueled by US drug money, are having such a harmful effect, but until Mexican gov't can get a handle on things, Mexican tourism is going to continue to suffer.

Looks like you are in pretty good shape.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hate to hear that. Just recently thinking about him or really trying to remember the routine about a place for "your stuff". Since we are considering moving, I've been on a rant lately about getting rid of a large part of our "stuff". Made me think about GC.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher