Toys for 3 year old girl

With respect, I beg, implore, request, and desire your help. My 3 year old cousin Kyla is in the hospital undergoing chemo. I'd like to make her some toys to distract her from the pain and suffering she is going through. Any links providing free plans or inspiration would be greatly appreciated (and please don't be a goober and tell me to do a google search, I've already done that). You're a great bunch of folks and I know you can help.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

If you have access to a lathe, you can glue contrasting scraps of exotic woods together to form a blank, then turn into tops, balls, small bowels, baseball bat shaped pieces, etc, etc.

The variations in colors can be quite attractive.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Some plans -

page of links for inspiration:

out Google and there is literally more than you can look at.

Good luck with your cousin. I'll remember her in my even talk with The Big Guy.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

What is your skill level and what tools do you have avaible? I am doing a class on toy making for grades 1 through 6 and would be glade to send you toys on that level. Check out my web site sweetsawdust.com and if you see anything thier that will work for you I will send plans or information if you need it.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Thanks, I'll look at these.

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:c5d6f009- snipped-for-privacy@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

"sweet sawdust" wrote in news:BuL7k.3380$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

I've never found anything I couldn't make given the tools I have. I've got a table saw, a band saw, drill press, belt sander, chisels, planes, etc. hand tools. Not enough clamps. A brad nailer, a couple of electric hand sanders, and a neighbor who doesn't yet know he will be helping. Plus I've got a lot of pine (2X4, 2X6, 2X12, 1X4, etc). No lathe (yet).

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

One that is fairly simple but possibly interesting would be the jigsaw puzzle in the frame -- for the age a few large brightly painted pieces.

'Tis a bummer of a situation, for sure--altho often the kids teach us much. Best of luck...

Reply to
dpb

I have some plan links on my web site for a few toys. If there is anything else, I can do to help, let me know.

Randy

randyswoodshoop

Get to a public library and look for books by John Nelson in the woodworking section.

Reply to
Larry W

What are her interests? - Example: At 2 1/2 or so, one of our granddaughters was fascinated with backhoes (construction was in progress at the day care center). Construction toys aren't usually seen as "girl" toys, but she was very happy to get a Fisher-Price backhoe as a gift. She also liked the Lincoln Logs we gave her a year later. We do the "girly" things as well - a princess doll for her birthday last month.

Simple manipulatives are nearly always good - blocks, puzzles, etc.

Does she have a favorite character (book, movie, TV)? Something related to the character is good.

Does she like to play games - and will there be anyone to play with her? Lots of card and board game ideas are out there. A set of "matching" cards with pictures of family, friends, pets might be good (think Concentration or Old Maid).

Look for things that are powered by imagination ;-)

John

Reply to
John

While not a toy a 3 year old can play with, in the right hands, with the right voice and the right stories something like this might bring a smile.

will be in my thoughts, as will you.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Take a look through the Google archives for Tom Gauldin's "Bill Dings", hopefully there is a link to the plans or someone here has archived them. They would be good manipulative toys for stacking and general play, either in or out of bed which might be a big plus for this situation.

Your cousin is in our thoughts and prayers.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Or google on "tangram"

Easy to make, and there's hundreds of shapes that can be found on the net.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Thanks to everyone that made suggestions. Your kind thoughts and prayers are apperciated. Sucks that such a kind and gentle young girl so full of life has to go through this, while other deserving of pain escape without it.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

It just occured to me that the *first* project I should probably make is a toy box to put the follow-up projects in. I'd like to claim I have a bunch of scrap wood to use, but in fact it's actually wood from projects I never got started on.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

It has been pointed out many times before in this forum, if you are going to build a toy box, include two things in its design.

1) Air holes, you don't want a little one going into the toy box and suffocating. 2) Some kind of lid dampening system. You don't want the lid to slam down on sensitve little body parts. These are available from many woodworking sources.
Reply to
Lee Michaels

Thanks for the reminder, Lee. I think I'll use "shaped" holes for handles ("pickle" or "kidney" shaped holes, rounded over). There are many lid closers to choose from. I don't know yet if the lid will be built-up from edge-glued boards or a piece of plywood.

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:ifWdnWXI7uf_ZP3VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

The below page has a number of possibilities:

Nova