one year old Murray trimmer gets weaker and stalls with throttle

Just picked up a 2 cycle Murray trimmer late last Summer after my prior Weedeater finally gave up the ghost. Used it the other day for the first time this season and there were two things I couldn't do: run it without throttle or run it at 3/4 to full throttle. In both cases, it would either get weaker, stall, or both. What could already be wrong with this essentially brand new trimmer?

Reply to
Sam Seagate

I'd start with servicing the air cleaner, and checking the choke linkage while you're in there. Changing the plug won't hurt anything, and it will eliminate that as a problem spot.

This assumes you ran it dry last year and put fresh, properly-mixed fuel in it this year.

Beyond that you'll probably need to adjust the carb, which takes a bit of doing on modern two-cycle engines, as they lock out those adjustments without a special tool (or a clever way to defeat it).

If you do get it running but it still dies at idle, you will need to turn up the throttle adjustment a little to keep it from staling, but only after you go through everything else.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I do always buy premixed fuel, but did not run it dry last year. Damn, always forget to do this. I'll bet the carb lines are clogged.

Reply to
Sam Seagate

Are you using a "low ash" oil? Check the exhaust port for build-up...

Reply to
bob_villain

A real big can of carburetor cleaner (with tube extension) is your friend....as is nice fresh gas.

Pull the carb if it's easy to get at...or remove the plastic priming squeeze bowl and spray it up good in there. Maybe try spraying a little bit into the air intake (with air cleaner removed) when it's running at max speed.

Open the fuel cap and pull the hose with the fuel filter out of the gas tank (a curved dental pick works well or fashion a hook out of wire coat hanger) and remove the filter. Run the engine with the filter removed to diagnose if that was the problem. If it is, spray or replace the filter.

This fall, definitely remember to run it dry;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Sam Seagate posted for all of us...

User error on usage and storage and lack of goggle search.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Thanks, Wade, but despite your suggestions, I couldn't get it unclogged. I didn't soak it for a day or two in carb fluid and perhaps I should have. Instead, I opted for a new one. The number was 753-06190 and these are all over eBay. Ordered one, it arrived today, and installation was a simple 10 min job with the trimmer like new again. Didn't need to make any adjustments, although a carb to air filter/ choke gasket wasn't included and I carefully peeled the old one from the clogged carb. I still may try just soaking the old carb in carb cleaning fluid for a while, thoughts?

Sam

Reply to
Sam Seagate