RE: O/T: Damn Cigarettes

Phil Everly, (The Everly Brothers), cashed in his hand at 74.

Damn cigarettes claimed another one.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

At 74 any number of things could have folded his hand.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

----------------------------------------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote:

---------------------------------------------- Read the obit.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It took my father at 53. I hate those things.

Reply to
Meanie

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 23:53:13 -0500, Meanie

Agree completely. Took both my parents at the age of 69, eight years apart.

Reply to
none

"Meanie" wrote:

Mine lived just 3 weeks past his 54th.

I still remember his nicotine stained fingers as he lay in the casket and that was 55 years ago.

In all fairness, back then we didn't know what we know today.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

They took one of my close friends at 42 via his heart. His first heart attack was at 35 after 20 years of smoking, but quitting at that point didn't help. He died 2 days before Christmas 2012, and his younger daughter still believed in Santa Claus.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

--------------------------------------------------------- SFWIW

My mechanic had a massive heart attact and survived thanks to the VA.

He survived but was still smoking.

He was read the riot attack by his doctors and thanks to the VA stopped smoking with the help of a VA program.

Chances are he will die from something other than smoking and he will see 60.

The message is pretty clear.

If you are a vet and a smoker who wants to stop, the VA has a program that will help you stop smoking IF you want to.

I realize that to receive VA help may include a significant drive to get to a VA hospital for some of you, but if it helps save your life, isn't it worth it?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

CVS/Pharmacy just announced they will stop selling tobacco products in their 7600 retail stores 10/01/2114.

It will cost them at least $2 billion up front; however, long term you can't buy that kind of goodwill this will generate.

Wonder whose next to join CVS?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I hope they can do everything they need to make that happen in only 100 years. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

Smokes is big bucks. I recently spoke with a former manager of a convenience store in a border town. When his state increased the tax by a buck a pack, they dropped sales of 3,000 packs a day as people went across the border.

A small grocery/deli where I used to buy my lunch said they were the biggest income and profit producer he had.

Fellow at work is complaining he needs a new truck but can't afford one, yet he spends $80+ a week on cigarettes. And a six=pack and pint every week.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Goodwill, is that what they are calling it?

It makes good ethical sense but the customers are going to give the competition $2 Billion worth of extra business.

Sounds like a preemptive move to perhaps dodge any law suits Kalifornia is cooking up.

Reply to
Leon

Sounds like he needs a new truck to haul his cigs and booz. Catch 22

Reply to
Leon

I think I've been quit for 10 years now. Its sort of frightening how easy is would be to start back up. One of the things that helps me stay quit is the cost. I remind myself that if I'm going to buy a pack, then I might as well buy enough cigarettes for the month. That quickly snaps me back to my senses! I wouldn't even leave the house on Friday night with "only 1 pack"... If I was going to buy cigarettes today I don't think I could buy only 1 pack. In fact, even allowing 2 packs a day isn't a guarantee you won't run out ("Oh, the horrors..."). Although he quit years earlier, 25+ years of smoking Pall Mall's may have led to to my dad's death of lung cancer (among several other types) at age 72.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Personally, I have frequently found it strange that pharmacies have/had such huge cigarette displays (I sensed a "conflict of interest"). And crappy prices too! They apparently cater to people who are price-indifferent.

Reply to
Bill

Perhaps more, as the smokers get used to shopping elsewhere.

Reply to
krw

---------------------------------------- "Le> Goodwill, is that what they are calling it?

---------------------------------------------------- You are a little slow Leon.

This whole thing got started when the city of San Francisco enacted city law prohibiting sale of tobacco products in drug stores 8-10 years ago.

CVS, as well as the big box stores, and the tobacco companies tried to fight it but learned again that you don't fight city hall.

Everybody else dropped their law suits against S/F.

CVS decided to not fight and instead complied so extending this across all

7600 stores is not such a big deal for them to implement.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------------------------------------------------------------- My how times have changed.

I worked in a smoke shop while in high school.

Cigarettes cost $1.86/carton except for Pall Mall which was $1.88/carton.

Both sold for $1.95/carton and individual package sold for $0.20/package retail.

Tried to float a price increase to $2.05/carton retail, but it didn't fly until 2nd or

3rd attempt.

This was also about the time that a package had a couple of pennies taped on the side so you could use a quarter to buy a pack and automatically get $0.02 change.

Anybody remember Hav-A-Tampa cigars?

Came complete with a wooden mouth piece and was such a deal at $0.15/pair.

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Conflict? They get you coming and going - profit at both ends of your health. How is that a conflict?

Reply to
krw

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

Reply to