Novel movable base for tablesaw

I recently built a base for my General 650 as a 'first project' for my new saw. Instead of building an external steel frame I relied on the heavy steel cabinet, which is flared at the bottom for extra strength and instead installed 2 Track-roll roller bearings INSIDE the cabinet.

The roller bearings are 2.5" that I got scrap from EBAY cheap (unused). They are good for a ton each. I built 2 axels from 1/2" x 2.5" x 21" aluminum bar, and sandwiched it between 3/4"x2.5"x21" MDF strips. The result is a solid interior frame with very smooth movement. Just pick up the saw from the end of the rails, and move it like a wheelbarrow. I had to make some 1/2" aluminum feet for the side of the cabinet opposite the wheels to level it as well. I also kept the wheels back from the left edge of the cabinet, which makes the saw a bit less stable than normal, so I added a spring type 'foot' which makes if very solid.

Hope you can figure this out.

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

In article , Rob Mitchell wrote: [snip]

OUCH! Doesn't that play hell with your alignment?

Doug Miller

Alignment of what specifically? I haven't noticed any problems. The whole unit sort of balances on the wheels, so there is actually less weight on the rails with the wheels, than without them (when lifting by the rails). My internal frame is very stiff, and makes the saw cabinet stiffer, so flexing of the unit is not a concern.

Reply to
Rob Mitchell