no-melt saw blades

I'm trying to identify a saw blade appropriate for cutting lexan. I've noticed that Forrest offers one, but it's on the order of $170, which seems semi-insane. Are there other high-quality blades available for cutting lexan?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jon DePlumme

We use the forrest blade here and it is worth the money....We paid 250.00

5-6 years ago.....Brian
Reply to
Brian in Hampton

"Jon DePlumme"

I wouldn't pay over a hundred dollars for a blade. I cut polycarbonate (Lexan is a brand) quite often. All that's needed is a triple grind tooth. 80 teeth on a 10 inch blade gives great results. Sears has one that I use for aluminum but it cuts plastics quite well also, for $65.

Reply to
Fletis Humplebacker

Would a 200 tooth blade be good for this? I bought one for plywood, but I may want to play with plastic at some point.

Reply to
Bill Stock

I use my 50 tooth Freud combination to cut 1/8-1/4 polycarbonate all the time with no problems. I do raise the blade height way up so the teeth aren't in the cut a long time, using the guard of course.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

| >Thanks. | I use my 50 tooth Freud combination to cut 1/8-1/4 polycarbonate all | the time with no problems. I do raise the blade height way up so the | teeth aren't in the cut a long time, using the guard of course. | | HTH, | | Paul | | I have found that if you put the (any) blade on backwards and cut slowly, with the blade raised way up you will get an excellent cut with very little "Melt"

Reply to
Hisself

"Bill Stock"

That's alot of teeth! I think you mean the small toothed stamped blade. It might get by with acrylics but polycarbs are going to melt and create problems. Ask me how I know.

Reply to
Fletis Humplebacker

Yep, it's a cheap steel blade Canadian Tire sells for plywood. But it was only $18 CDN.

Reply to
Bill Stock