Newbie Question - Featherboards

I've heard of 'em, and seen 'em in use by Norm on TOH, New Yankee Workshop, etc., but I've never seen a picture of one so I could duplicate it. Can anybody post a link for this and other basic beginner tools & tips? How do they fasten to the saw?

Reply to
NorthStar

beneficial to newbies: Learn to use Goggle.

There is a world(wide web) of woodworking lore at your fingertips, so DAGS by typing in "featherboards" at:

and you'll get more than you ever wanted to know about same.

Reply to
Swingman

Go to my site

There are a couple of plans there under "F"

Reply to
Jake Jarvis

... but don't EVER trust your spell checker.

Reply to
Swingman

DAGS? What's that?

Reply to
NorthStar

Do A Google Search

Reply to
Mark

I have a plan for one on my site.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

for featherboards. The illustration of how to use the featherboard is WRONG! Having the featherboard extend past the front of the blade is asking for kickback.

Bench Dog Tools makes an excellent plastic featherboard called the Feather-Loc. It is connected to an aluminum bar that locks in a mitre slot with two screw down handles that expand the aluminum bar. It is so quick to set up that I use it for all rip cuts where it will fit. My homemade featherboards work fine but take more set up time to clamp to the table or clamp to the fence.

Reply to
Steve James

I have several shop made ones and a commercial one similar to the links below. The commercial tightens in the miter slot and is very handy when what you're cutting doesn't cover the miter slot.

?itemnumber=5926 -- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Funny... This comes up a lot. "What does that mean?" "It means do a google search" "Well why don't you just say that, why do you have to use a non-standard acronymn, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda, whine whine whine."

It occurs to me that I haven't seen DAGS used anywhere but here. Most other places just say STFW. I guess that means the Wreck is a more polite place than usual, and the whiners should STFU.

Reply to
Silvan

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:43:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (Steve James) scribbled

I agree emphatically. It will push the offcut into the blade, ensuring that the wood becomes a projectile. Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Hey ... it ain't my page, take it up with the author. The OP didn't know what a featherboard was, now he does. He didn't know how to search the web, now he should. The page url was posted at random as an example of what he could find if he took the time to search for himself ... I wasn't about to read the damn thing for him too.

Reply to
Swingman

Check out this months Fine WW'ing, "Methods of Work" They're using Rare Earth Magnets to keep them in position

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin French

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:44:35 -0500, Silvan scribbled

DAGS --> tmLJ. Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

what's a "non-standard acronymn"? All groups of people use there own terminology, some of it as TLA and FLA. When in Rome.... roam around.

BRuce

Reply to
BRuce

The original message was intended to help you, a self-professed newbie, with two INFORMATIVE links posted to do so ... ... you're welcome s*****ad.

If you took my post the wrong way, it is entirely YOUR problem.

Now, be prepared to 'WTF" some more:

Did you search the archives before you posted? Obviously not ... but had you lurked a bit before you tried to become a forum moderator with the post below, you would have known it is expected that you should do so before posting that type of question.

Count yourself lucky that it was me that TOOK THE TIME to answer your original post and not JOAT

Spend less time erroneously castigating and more time lurking ... you will learn a lot more around here.

Now go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
Swingman

Now now now, people of all ages read these groups (kids also). There is enough foul and obscene content here from spammers and the like. No need for educated professionals to add to the foul mess.

Reply to
Bob Gramza

So Bob ... if the words are that offensive to you, why did you repost them?

Reply to
Swingman

: Because I forgot to delete them. If I were perfect I would probably be you. : -- :

Reply to
Bob Gramza

Well, I think that a lot of folks would interpret DAGS as meaning search web sites, not newsgroups. The former can take hours.

The _only_ newsgroup that I frequent which assumes newsgroup search by default is this one. This newsgroup has it's own inside jokes, it's own abbreviations/acronyms/whatever etc, and the learning curve isn't as trivial to the newbie as some other newsgroups. Even going through the FAQs (e.g.

would take some time to find every nuanced bit of trivia that relates to this group.

Cut the newbies a little slack.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly