Anyone know of custom made router bits...

I have an old house with unique, but simple profile, molding and quarter circle pieces at the corners.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get a large bit made that I can mount on my router table that I could use to make more of the straight molding? I'd also like to to find a source to make a rosette cutter for quarter circle pieces.

there is a company locally that charges a >200.00 setup fee to make the straight molding, plus an extra charge per foot, and they won't hold the blades for your pattern, so if you decide you need more at a later date, you're out for another 200.00.

advice?

Reply to
my

Most people do this with a moulding machine and custom knives. Something like this:

custom knives were about $70. I remember norm from new yankee workshop talking about how he could fax a profile to a company and get cutters back in the mail.

I've never heard of someone doing this with router bits. You might be able to recreate an existing moulding with several standard router bits while running the stock through several times.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

is one. Depending on the size, you may be better off with a shaper, but they can do those also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Use the old fashioned way in your ould house:

Juergen Hannappel

Same thing for me... couldn't (easily) make apron mould under windows. DAGS... and tried Orbit tool. Very helpful folks! They started with a rough sketch I made in OpenOffice, CAD-ized it, and sent back a 3D rendering for my approval. About $150, IIRC.

HTH. /dev

Reply to
slashdev

If you do a search you can find a post I made about two months ago. I found someone to make custom router bits for IIRC $160, and posted his name in any one was interested. My need didn't materialize, so I can't say how good his is.

Reply to
Toller

While this sounds like a great project, creating any real quantity of molding with a router setup is "not" a great idea.

You would need a VERY large router and a power feeder if you have any hope of producing any real volume of molding. I doubt any current production router is up to the job. The feeder is required is produce a long continuous piece of molding.

The millwright shop is a "much" better idea or depending on how much you need, find a current stock piece and replace all the molding.

Custom molding is not for the faint of heart or wallet.

OR

Buy yourself a W&H molder and make your very own. (just like old Norm's)

course you will also need lots of very straight and flat material to run through this machine.

Of course all that material would have to be machined to correct sizes(think...lots of waste)

I would either "pay up" or "replace with somthing else".

PS:

There are "many" molding that would be either exact or very close to what you have if you really start looking.

Most molding can be made with a few very basic bits and a good table saw.

Start here:

http://w> I have an old house with unique, but simple profile, molding and

Reply to
Pat Barber

How much more do you want to make?

We bought a new old house in June. It's got really nice, but quite simple

1950s molding and baseboards. Some of the baseboard pieces are 16 feet long, and all are based on 3/4" hardwood. (They don't make 'em like they used to) No chance of finding anything close to it. I used a combination of router bits and some shaping with a plane, and was able almost perfectly reproduce the 30 or so feet I needed to replace. I wouldn't want to do tons more than that, but it worked out alright for that quantity.
Reply to
bob