Newbie question about staining

Can you stain treated lumber? Will it look the same as untreated lumber? This matchbox car holder I am making the outside frame is from soem old treated lumber. (It looks green kind of).

The slats inside it the cars sit on are untreated.

Would this look bad with a light stain or would it be better to paint?

Reply to
stryped

You could, I guess, but I wouldn't want to use treated lumber for anything indoors, or anything that will be used by kids. This is a matchbox car holder? Definitely get some different lumber. Old treated lumber (made about 2003 or earlier) was treated with arsenic to keep fungi and other wood-eating critters from eating the wood. However, arsenic is obviously bad for people too - do you really want your kid playing with this stuff? Spend the $1.50 to buy yourself a brand new, un-treated 2x4, and stain 'til your heart's content. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
stryped

Reply to
Stephen M

Well, people have and do work with pressure treated all day long. Cutting up a piece for this application wouldn't be any more toxic than building a deck. My question would be why do you want a piece of PT hanging on the wall?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

PT lumber should not be used indoors. Perhaps there is one exception--the base frame for a wall that will sit on a basement concrete floor. Old PT lumber may contain arsenic compounds.

Reply to
Phisherman