New (for me) thing to do with my Domino

Hey All, I'm finishing up an oak hutch from plans I got through Fine Wodworking and the author (Marty Milkovitz, Jan/Feb 2007 issue 189 for those who want to know) suggests fastening the top to the base cabinet with buttons. I have seen a variety of wood fasteners for securing table tops but I thought it might be easy to use the Domino cutter to make slots in the carcase and in the matching "buttons". I took a piece of stock and set the depth to 20mm then using the Domino's indexing pin I made a series of slots along the stock's length. After cutting the stock to 1&7/8 inch wide I made a few select slots in the carcase applying the same depth. Then I glued a domino (small d to infer the wooden item, not the expensive cutter) into the button block, slip the unglued end into the slot(s) of the carcase and screwed the block into the underside of the top. The side slots were cut wider to allow for expansion and the back slots were not fully inserted for the same purpose. It seemed a lot quicker to do this than to rabbet and cut a series of buttons, plus it was a lot more fun with the Domino. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

That was a drive-by wasn't it?

Reply to
Robatoy

Hello Robatoy, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you explain for my feeble mind? Thanks, Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

A drive-by.... casual mention of a gloat. Intentional on your part or not, you made me jealous. I want a Domino too. Nothing sinister... but you suck, because you have a Domino and I don't.

Reply to
Robatoy

Woops forgot the smiley:

=3Do)

Reply to
Robatoy

So Mark, can you provide a picture?

Reply to
Leon

Sounds like a drive by too me also. But for now I can only dream of a Domino.

cm

Reply to
CM

Oh, now I get it. Okay, no gloat intended, I was just making my own "Eureka" statement, but I see your point and I accept the "you suck" accusation proudly. And Leon, I will try to send some pictures later this evening. Question for you or the group; Should I send them directly to you or can you describe how to send them out to a larger group, say the Binaries group? Thanks in advance for any advice., Marc

Reply to
marc rosen