My Summer Project

Thank you. I had grandiose plans at first, but when it came down to it, money and time dictated a far simpler and modest design. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Well that sure is purty!

Reply to
-MIKE-

I added as bunch more pictures of the construction on progress if anyone's interested.

-MIKE-

Thanks you, sir. There are certain things I can't do with music playing. Any hammering being high on the list. It can dangerous trying to keep time. :-)

************** Any idea on material costs? I need me sumthin' like that.

Job well done.

Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

Those were the specs the truss company's engineers spit out, but they gave me different options. I could've spec'd 4' spacing or even just 8' to coincide with the posts. But then the trusses would've been more massive and I would've needed purlins to support the roof. I wanted to spec it out for residential use, not just barn use, in case someone in the future wanted to inhabit it.

I've used 24" spaced 2x4 trusses on so many projects, I never even thought to look into other options. It's no secret to those who know me that I error on the side of stronger for anything I engineer. :-)

Keep in mind, as well, I did this entire project with my own two hands. I think I had my wife out there a couple times, holding a truss in place while I tacked it. I don't know how much these weighed, but I know I could carry one without much effort. I can't imagine I would've been able to swing up a truss spec'd for 8' spacing.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'd have to check with my CFO for exact numbers, but last time I checked into it, we were up around seven grand. I had eight to play with, so that's where my mind was at, budget-wise. All the deck joists are pressure treated. I was going to insulate the floor, but decided to do it later if I decide to heat/cool the space.

It's pretty hilarious what those "drop-off" shed companies charge for the sheds I see in all the back yards around here. I think $7k would've gotten me a 12x16x7 on skids.

Of course, if I were building this for someone else, I think I'd have to charge at least $24k to make a decent wage and hire help. I don't know, probably more around 30, who knows?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Basically, without signs giving notice, it is difficult to charge anyone charge with trespassing in Texas.

No one in their right mind would consider shooting someone attempting to steal personal property during the day time, unless it was a home invasion - cheaper to pay for insurance than the legal aftermath.

During hours of darkness in Texas is a different story. Although our Castle Doctrine specifically does not include detached outbuildings, those who value their lives do well to stay away from any Texas residence's property at night.

Reply to
Swingman

Nice. Wish I had room for one like that. I don't have a garage anymore and miss it. If I move again, which I hope to do one day, I will have another.

LOL. Good a name. I wonder if that's what they are called in Ireland.

Hope you get much good use and enjoyment out of it. `Casper

Reply to
Casper